Squier

GAS Man

• Members

I think the 51 is an incredible starter guitar. Can you imagine a starter with these features available for under $100 back when you bought your first guitar?

I know some gigging musicians who play 51s and make them sound great. I like the feel of the neck and like the raw pickups. The only negative I can find is that mine sounds a little thin compared to my other guitars.

But it is a fun guitar to play and I still enjoy mine...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I love mine. I'd like another myself... blonde preferably. But I'd settle for a $99 black one... who's got 'em?

Here's mine... Duncan, GFS Bridge, Gibby 3way, stacked vol/tone, tinted neck, new paint etc.

Squire.jpg

Nice job on the refinish. :thu: I bought a second '51 specifically to refinish in gold just like that...someday.

I think it would be a nice compliment to my first one.

DSC_1186.jpg

BTW I put new knobs on mine. Anyone who doesn't like the rotary switch on the '51's should try one with a chickenhead knob...huge improvement :thu:

• Members

...I think it would be a nice compliment to my first one.

DSC_1186.jpg

BTW I put new knobs on mine. Anyone who doesn't like the rotary switch on the '51's should try one with a chickenhead knob...huge improvement
:thu:

I love your '51 also, AG. :thu: It's very custom shop looking.

How do you like it with those pups? Plenty of JANGLE I would imagine. Did you tap the bridge?

• Members

....yup....can't really fault mine!
Playable straight from the box - no fret issues - and nicely finished......the wood in my SB actually has some 'flame' and character which was an unexpected bonus.
Mine was made in 2007....supposedly 3 months after 'official' discontinuation , so was a bit of of a celebrity on some of the'51 appreciation sites! :rolleyes:

DSCF0167pscopy.jpg

collage4.jpg

......certainly worth the 100 notes I paid for it.

flori

• Members
They chose a cheap ass (discontinued?) piece of crap sharp fretted crappy sounding junk pile as their pick? WTF?
:mad:

Okay, maybe a little harsh, but I don't take ANYTHING those {censored}nuts magazines say as meaning anything. The same type of magazines claim if you close your eyes with an Epi LP Studio that it would be impossible to distinguish it from a Gibson LP Standard. WTF?
:mad:

I love the way you can pounce down on a thread with both boots on and still make me smile. ;)

:wave:

Hey, but admit, you had fun buying them and flipping them. ;)

• Members
I love the way you can pounce down on a thread with both boots on and still make me smile.
;)

:wave:

Hey, but admit, you had fun buying them and flipping them.
;)

It's a gift. :D

And it wasn't much fun. I had a helluva time finding buyers! :(

Then one buyer died and the body got returned to me. (The guitar body I sold him....not the buyer).

• Members
I love your '51 also, AG.
:thu:
It's very custom shop looking.

How do you like it with those pups? Plenty of JANGLE I would imagine. Did you tap the bridge?

Thanks for the props.

The ProTubes sound great to me, especially clean. I even ordered a set of singles for a partsocaster that I haven't gotten around to. Having said that, I think maybe I ordered a tube bucker that is frankly too weak (9k iirc) for the bridge position, especially in split mode. It sounds good but not powerful enough for the 6k single. I should have gone for the 12k model instead. As it stands now I may pop the stock bucker back in with a chrome cover on it.

The ProTube HB will probably go into a lap steel someday. I think that would sound great.

• Members

Thanks for the props.

The ProTubes sound great to me, especially clean. I even ordered a set of singles for a partsocaster that I haven't gotten around to. Having said that, I think maybe I ordered a tube bucker that is frankly too weak (9k iirc) for the bridge position, especially in split mode. It sounds good but not powerful enough for the 6k single. I should have gone for the 12k model instead. As it stands now I may pop the stock bucker back in with a chrome cover on it.

I assume you've tried adjusting pickup height to compensate?

I have 3 '51s and am considering doing a pickup config like yours to one of them. I'd like a TV Jones Powertron in another but am hung up on the $140 price tag. I've thought about repainting 1 or 2 of them also, but getting the poly off would be a real bitch and I don't think I can duplicate the quality of the stock paint job without lots and lots of work and patience.

• Members

I assume you've tried adjusting pickup height to compensate?

I have 3 '51s and am considering doing a pickup config like yours to one of them. I'd like a TV Jones Powertron in another but am hung up on the $140 price tag. I've thought about repainting 1 or 2 of them also, but getting the poly off would be a real bitch and I don't think I can duplicate the quality of the stock paint job without lots and lots of work and patience.

Yeah I adjusted the pickup heights to their relative extremes. If you go with the ProTubes I recommend that the impedence of your bridge HB be at least twice the impedance of the neck SC (4.5k w/ 9k OR 6k w/ 12k).

The painting does take patience, but I am a fan of odd colors. I also like to have something different from what everyone else has. Plus it was a fun challenge for myself seeing what I could do to make that guitar mine.

• Members

uh the reason they got discontinued is no one bought them until they went on discount

I've heard that rationale before, but I wonder if it's correct, cuz even before they went on sale, they were one of the most affordable and attractive Squiers out there. Seemed to me IIRC that the street price was still only around $165 or so when they first appeared in the catalogs. So you'd think that would have gotten a fair amount of traffic compared to the rest of their line.

• Members

Just my opinion--

It won the award, sold a lot among people on this website, and flopped in the general public for all the same reasons.

It was a very different design, something new that really hadn't been done before, and pretty well executed for a cheap guitar.

That won it the award just for being new and different. GAS heads like us, well, a lot of us had to have one, hell it's only a hundred bucks.

Even then, I want to guess that it's appeal among veteran players was probably largely limited to those who had the technical acumen to install a tone pot.

On the other hand, I suspect new and beginning players probably avoided it like the plague, because they have in mind the sort of guitar they want,,,,either a strat or a LP genre copy, or some pointy metal guitar I guess, and the 51 is none of those.

There's any number of reasons that good products flop in the marketplace. The 51 is one of them. Me, I'm very glad I have one. I play mine a lot. The only mod I did to mine was the tone pot, and it's good to go otherwise. Mine is butterscotch. I'd buy another if they made a run in Daphne Blue.

• Members

I picked up my '51 in July. It had already been discontinued by that point. I had never heard of the model. In fact, my inbred Squier antipathy almost kept me from pulling it off the wall. But I finally did, and was shocked at the playability and sound of it. I traded a heavily modded Kramer for it.

The frets didn't taper down as much as I would have liked, but they weren't sharp. They have gotten more comfortable with just a few months of playing. I have swapped out the bridge for the GFS replacement and filed the nut slots. The other changes I made were cosmetic--staining the neck, taking off the Squier logo, putting on a custom 'Fender Squier Fifty-One' decal, a chrome cover on the HB, and the GFS tortoise-shell pickguard (the guitar is blonde).

I like the sound of the guitar as is, so I haven't done the tone pot mod. The cover on the bridge took away some of the harsh quality. I put a pair of old pickup springs under the mounting screws for the neck pickup. As a result, I can adjust the height of the pickup and get a great warm Tele-ish sound.

I did a fraction of the work some of the folks in this thread did, but I'm really happy with this guitar. Like I said, I used to be one of those people who thought "Squier = crap", but the '51 has really changed my mind.

Archived