How many of you play heavier music but ONLY own a combo amp?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm just curious guys. How many of you play heavier music but only through a combo amp?

I'm looking to buy a new amp by the end of the summer and I tend to play heavier music but from previous threads I've posted I'm beginning to think that maybe getting a nice tube stack might be too much. Anyways I grew up with the impression that heavy music was played on bigger amps like the Mesa Rectifiers and such.

So I'm just curious...?

• Members

I play through a Crate GFX212T 2x12 120 watt combo. Good modern heavy tones to be had. It also has a very miniscule effects section on it, but I only use the reverb effect from that.

I've had this amp for about 6 years, and even when I got it it was a clearance item. It's been great for gigging, since every show I've played my amp has been mic'd.

Good luck on your purchase! :thu:

• Members

10" bass combo amps with guitar going thru whatever processor or pedals of choice first, makes for very excellent full range sound system. AS can stuff like a pair of KRK or MAudio etc powered studio monitors. If you feed them ready for recording tone as created by whatever processor. Which of course then goes to the monitors directly or thru a mixer. For the latter your essentially doing small version of playing thru a very nice clubs PA.

Though such powered monitors arent generally suitable for jamming with a drummer, a small 30-50 watt 1x10 bass combo amp similiarly fed, can be.

• Members

Diezel Einstein 1x12 combo. The nearly-closed back combo has nice bottom end. I have it on a chair because on the floor it has way too much lows. Personally I don't feel that you need anything beyond a 1x12 or 2x12 for most situations. The right amp in the right cab and right speaker can sound huge. I think a lot of people just go past the 1x12s and 2x12s without even trying because they're in the mindset that they NEED a 4x12.

flaxdiezel.jpg

• Members

I play everything from sabbath to maiden, to AIC, to rage, to modern heavy. So far I only use combos. If you are using a pedal array for all your distortions, then the marshall has a GREAT clean channel, but the fx and overdrive channels are {censored}.

If you want an amp that does it all, the most variety will probably be the line6 spider III, or most general fender amps, although I have personally lost all my faith in fender reliability.

Archived