How many of you play heavier music but ONLY own a combo amp?

elsupermanny14

• Members

my fender cyber 2x12 is loud as {censored}.

oh and if you are gonna flame the cyber, you should try it before you knock it... so piss off... sounds great at many settings, you just have to learn to play with the settings correctly!

anyways, with that out of the way....

Am I to infer that the Original Poster is thinking one cannot create proper "metal" tone from a combo??

um, try any fender (with good overdrive pedal), line 6, or marshal tube combo at your local store and find out.....

• Members

Might want to think about if you are going to play with a band or not. Combos are great for the occasional get together or if you just jam by yourself at home. Add another guitarist, a bassist, and a loud drummer -- then a singer through a PA and start playing some serious metal or doom and the combo gets buried in the mix really fast, they don't have the headroom in most situations. A head and 2x12 is great and you can always add a 2x12 to give you the full 4x12. That was a good suggestion.

• Members

I have a 100w Peavey from the 1970s that is pretty similar to a twin reverb. I replaced the two 12" Peavey speakers with one EV speaker which made it sound better and louder. I can definitely pass the threshold of pain with it and stay fairly clean. (if I want to) I don't see the need for anything bigger than 100w and a twelve inch. If you need to be louder you can always mic it and run it through the venues PA system.

Archived