I need to get out of California

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have you thought about Texas ? I was there a few weeks ago and I could not believe what you could get for 150k just outside of Dallas. Gasoline was also 50 to 60 cents a gallon less there too.

I can deeply relate to being totally frustrated with the cost of living in SoCal. I don't make six figures. I made 80k last year. I thought it was pretty good. The thing is, you can make that much now, but before making a 30 year commitment you need to be confident that you will make that much in the future. I don't WANT to have to earn that much for the next 30 years. I'm hanging in here for a while. I love it here. I think the prices will come down. What's going on here is not sustainable. It's been an overinflated run-up.

I could be wrong though. :idk:

• Members

Ken, you're right. I did overlook the fact that he's working 3 jobs for the three figures. Someone please enlighten me... are OC and LA County RE prices surpassing Santa Barabara County? I have a hard time believing that.

Gearmike, check your PM.

• Members

Have you thought about Texas ? I was there a few weeks ago and I could not believe what you could get for 150k just outside of Dallas. Gasoline was also 50 to 60 cents a gallon less there too.

:idk:

And a lot going on it Austin.

• Members

Ken, you're right. I did overlook the fact that he's working 3 jobs for the three figures. Someone please enlighten me... are OC and LA County RE prices surpassing Santa Barabara County? I have a hard time believing that.

I overlooked the fact that he had a wife and kid.

To answer your question, I don't know, but avg. home prices in OC were well over $700,000 some months back, and LA County easily over half a million.

• Members

Austin is on my list of places I'd consider. My brother is moving out to Austin at the end of this month. Denver is on the list too, but I don't think there's enough work in Denver to support me. Although, if I'm mainly doing tour work, Denver is pretty central and about a three hour flight to any where...Anybody know if Chicago is worth checking out?

• Members

I overlooked the fact that he had a wife and kid.

To answer your question, I don't know, but avg. home prices in OC were well over $700,000 some months back, and LA County easily over half a million.

$700,000.00 is .... WOW....

This is a home in a very nice area with a resort type golf course nearby in the Greater Kansas City area that lists out for $379,900.00

67409087.JPG67409244.JPG

Here are the specs....

Bedrooms: 4

Full Bathrooms: 3

Half Bathrooms: 1

Fireplaces: 3

Single Family Home

Year Built: 2001

3 Car Garage

Dining room: 14x12

Den: 12x11

Master bedroom: 15x25

Bedroom 2: 13x16

Bedroom 3: 14x17

Bedroom 4: 11x12

http://kcstar.homescape.com/kcstar/listing_details.jhtml?map_search=true&userId=FHICF5GDBMDF1LAYYEZSFEY227551&filter_product_id=21378420&searchType=14&sbt=Y&search_by_type=new_mls%2Cnew_class%2Cnew_const%2Cresale_mls%2Cresale_class%2Cresale%2Cresale_ecom_owner%2Cnew_ecom_owner%2Cresale_ecom_agent%2Cnew_ecom_agent%2Cresale_ecom_broker%2Cnew_ecom_broker%2Cresale_ecom_bldr%2Cnew_ecom_bldr&onTab=1&filter_property_type=single_family_home&filter_min_price=250000&filter_min_bed=3&filter_min_bath=2&filter_open_house=N&sort_result_order=site_def_order%2Cattribute_count%2Cprice_desc%2Clisting_age&areaIdHistory=74949A57507A57514B57518&geo_area_text_lookup_id=57514%2C57518&print=false#

• Members

Live sound gigs can be found in Austin. They may not pay the musicians much, but if they don't pay the sound guy, there's no show.

If you can at least act like a cleancut fellow temporarily, there are churches that pay soundboard guys, too. A smattering of corporate gigs, too.

Houston has a lot of live music going, too. More roots and blues than Austin I get the impression (very unscientific).

Mr Knob's big stir-the-pot thread on "Why live music must die", based on the non-professionalism of live music management in Austin points up the other side of the coin. If you will show up on time and sober and energetic and ready to work, you're way ahead of much of your competition.

Austin continues to grow at a steady, regular pace. I've been in Austin since '73 and I've never seen it as prosperous and evenly-balanced in terms of local economy and growth. It has it's problems, to be sure. But it's a pretty dynamic place and has opportunities for those willing to do what it takes and also be a bit patient. The music community is not the closed-circuit type that people complain so much about in Nashville. It's chaotic and splintered and helter-skelter, full of newbies and cynical veterans and everything in between. For some people, it's a place brimming with possibilities, for others it's a place with no steps to success, just a random walk in a broken dreamland.

I've always been a "character is destiny" sort.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I live down the street from Ken, and I don't suppose either one of us could buy our houses in today's market! That's rough. Like Blue said, timing is everything.

If you think things will be better in Nashvill, then they probably will be. Just keep in mind that those low house prices mean people get paid less, too.

Steve

• Members

Denver is on the list too, but I don't think there's enough work in Denver to support me. Although, if I'm mainly doing tour work, Denver is pretty central and about a three hour flight to any where...

I'm toying with getting out of here because there's not really enough work.

This town is mostly a shadow of it's former self, in regards to production. It has no energy, no spirit...lackluster. Whatever is here is so tightly knit that you'd have to practically kill someone in order to get their job.

Sure, the flight is about three hours in any direction, but unless you wanna live in Aurora (which I highly recommend against), the trip to the airport can take about an hour, depending on if someone dialed up the stupidity on I 70.

Oh, and the housing prices aren't a hell of a lot better.

Much as I think the altitude, sunlight, and mountains would really explode your soul, I'd wager you'll be better off somewhere else.

• Members

I hear Chicago's great, and I'm sure cost-of-living is considerably lower than in SoCal. Don't know if you can hack the weather though. Have you considered the Pacific Northwest as long as you're cherrypicking desirable places to live? Seattle will hardly be any cheaper than SoCal, but Portland is a really happening music town.

In terms of my area, well, no one moves to SoNY (to coin a name) to escape the high cost of living in SoCal...How about Boston area? Great music scene, being the collegiate capital of the world of course, and expensive as well...

• Members

As of today, you need an income of over $159,000 to afford the median price home in Los Angeles county. Orange and Santa Barbara counties aren't much different, but L. A. Co has a wider swing between the lowest price home and the highest priced home.

Move where there are $200,000 homes, and you'll still have to work three jobs because each will pay less. None of these will include Boston, NY, DC, Miami, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Seattle, Portland, San Diego...

It was easy in the late '70s through early '90s to buy a house in SoCal - I purchased two properties then, but nearly impossible now. This is all cyclical, but the next down cycle probably will be harsh. Maybe then you, and I, will be able to afford a new house.

• Members

I'm looking at going back out on the road and touring if I can find a tour...get back into that scene and back into what I was doing before the heart attack. I have my summer booked [literally everyday from now through Labor Day], and I know touring is spotty during the fall / winter seasons so I might have to wait till next spring to get out of here...

• Members

You know Offramp...

I used to live in Denver. I used to work on the other side of the Coor Pond from you in Wheatridge back around the turn of the century...I sure do miss Denver, but you're right about the scene being drier than the air in July...

• Members

......It doesn't make financial sense to buy in SoCal at this point.

That is absurd. There is never a bad time to acquire real estate and will always make financial sense if you purchase for the long term and not try to reap huge benefits in a short period of time and that greed is what was, and is, a major contributor to the price escalation. The period in SoCal from about 1995 until 2005, or so, was an anomaly in the rise in valuations compared to the normal, long term escalation in values, see the above note about the greed.

I do agree that the average family cannot afford to own the median family home in SoCal but for those who can, will find excellent values, in the long term. If you think you are going to invest a half a million and get a 25% return in a year you're sadly mistaken. Though there were instances of that return, and even higher returns, they were, again, an anomaly fueled by the greedy trying to capitalize and make a quick buck. That whole thing was pretty much akin to the dot com crap but real estate has more inherent stability so the crash, if one occurs, will never be as bad as the dot com fiasco. Certainly there is a downturn in many markets, stagnation in others and quite a few high end areas have felt no repercussions, and in fact, are still rising in value.

Archived