I need to get out of California

• Members

BwwwwaahhhhHHHHHaaaAAAhahahahahahahhahhahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
Eat healthy on tour?? Bwwwwwahahahaahahahahaaaaaaa LOL!

(Catching my breath..) That is funny,
Duke

Unfortunately, the typical reality of touring is fast food or greasy spoon when you're on the bus (not much room for even healthy frozen food in the mini-fridge on most buses) and whatever catering provides when you arrive at the venue.

Well, you can get a salad at McD's, but I find the problem when traveling to be that by the time you stop to eat you are so hungry that you tend to eat more food than you ought to, and make poorer choices in what you choose eat. All simple carbs and saturated fats in large quantities.

I'm kind of on tour, it's just that I don't ever get to play when I get where I'm going. I've gained a least 15 pounds in the past year.

Exercise is pretty much minimal as well.

I wouldn't recommend touring to a person with health issues. Live simply. Keep your commutes to work short. Choose time over money. Gearmike, I think your son might appreciate seeing a little more of his Dad.

LCD chicken

mmmmmm....Liquid Crystal Chicken.

Hey Mr. Fantastic, you know that stuff is toxic, right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get to Ohio.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We were driving back from a gig or something, a few months ago, and everybody was starving, and all that was around was a McDonald's. I ordinarily never set foot in one of those, but it was all there was and the guys were hungry too. I saw they had some new, healthy looking salads so I ordered an Asian salad. It was actually pretty danged good - had soybeans, mandarin oranges and stuff like that in it. I looked up the ingredients later and their "grilled chicken breast" is still actually some sort of pressed-meat nightmare with wheat and stuff in it besides just the chicken, and it's made with liquid margarine which has hydrogenated oil in it. And the dressing has high fructose corn syrup. :rolleyes:

So it's still not the greatest thing in the world for you, but it's all right compared to their other crap. :D

• Members

I know people who just stop at grocery stores/health food stores and buy their own stuff and keep it in the bus fridge. They say they don't have too hard a time of it - salads and healthy sandwiches are easy enough to make.

That's fine... again, if you have the ability to get to a store AND have room in the small safe that passes for a fridge on most buses. You have to remember that the fridge usually does double duty for those not interested in health food as a place to keep last night's leftovers from catering. ;)

I see, Phil. I guess CCM merged with the other market already long established in Nashville... Southern Gospel. Remember, much of the "Christian" music before the Maranathas, etc. for decades was country artists doing Gospel in the same vein as Elvis doing gospel. It all began with Hank Sr., so far as country artists making strictly gospel albums in addition to their secular fare.

I see, Phil. I guess CCM merged with the other market already long established in Nashville... Southern Gospel. Remember, much of the "Christian" music before the Maranathas, etc. for decades was country artists doing Gospel in the same vein as Elvis doing gospel.

Oh, absolutely. Southern Gospel predates CCM / "Christian Rock" by many years. And it has always been overwhelmingly Nashville based. And today, much of CCM is also Nashville based... but it also has a strong history in SoCA - it's just not based here nearly as much as it was back in the 1970's - mid 1990's.

I imagine if you had asked a lot of Southern Gospel artists and record company execs what they thought of the Jesus hippie musicians back in the 1970's, their opinins would often have been less than complimentary. ;)

• Members

I live in a 600 sq. ft, 1 bedroom apartment for $975...I've been told it will be increased to $1200 by the end of next year. No air conditioning and the apartments look like Motel 6. This is between Costa Mesa/Newport Beach.

I can't tell you how bizarre that sounds, being in the deep south. $1,200 rent will get you a big-ass, beautiful house here!

Neil, that's what I thought about touring. You can tell by how I started off the paragraph. But I thought maybe if they paid you enough in expenses, you could eat better. But as you say, not if you stop at Cracker Barrel and McDonalds.

GearMike... I have been investigating natural ways to lower blood pressure. If you are interested in findings, PM me. Lots of ways, a couple of very interesting ways.

• Members

I see, Phil. I guess CCM merged with the other market already long established in Nashville... Southern Gospel. Remember, much of the "Christian" music before the Maranathas, etc. for decades was country artists doing Gospel in the same vein as Elvis doing gospel.

Oh, absolutely. Southern Gospel predates CCM / "Christian Rock" by many years. And it has always been overwhelmingly Nashville based. And today, much of CCM is also Nashville based... but it also has a strong history in SoCA - it's just not based here nearly as much as it was back in the 1970's - mid 1990's.

I imagine if you had asked a lot of Southern Gospel artists and record company execs what they thought of the Jesus hippie musicians back in the 1970's, their opinins would often have been less than complimentary.
;)

To be sure!

I moved to Nashville in late 1994, began mixing at Opryland USA in 1995 and moved to an A/V house in late 1996. All through the mid to late 1990's I mixed a long list of concerts, business meetings and prayer meetings for clients identified as Christian clients, not the least of which were business meetings for Brentwood/Benson music before and after the former acquired the latter. A hastily put together sales meeting was used to march out a host of product produced and/or distributed by each company and their partners. By that time (1997) Christian rock covered the gamut from upbeat pop to goth (sans anti-christian references), to rap/hip-hop to alternative... Christian metal bands were around but that was old news. Oh, and Carman was huge in that genre at the time. A production company I worked for stored his cartage and several friends toured with him at one time or another. Tis true... by the 1990's the power brokers of that industry had more or less coalesced in Nashville.

I can only imagine what there predecessors would've done with the hippy bands given the "warm" welcome Willie, Waylon and the other Outlaws received from the secular record execs on music row in the early 1970's. ;)

• Members

Got out 2 years ago, moved to Salt Lake City. All I can say is.....they couldnt pay me enough to move back to California. High prices on everything....crowded....miserable commutes.....and anyplace you go to do something is so overrun with people its not enjoyable. Besides that, I make more money here than I did there as an engineer. So good luck, you will not regret leaving.

• Members

Mike the problem might be the way of life in So Cal. I live in Northern California, north of San Fran and life is just slower, less stressful. But we have easy access to the city. Considering buying here, but can't buy crap with $1mil, seriously. Lived in Memphis for a year and a half and thought I'd have to shoot myself: everyone I met asked me what church I was going to join, then said something completely racial. I know it's not that way with everyone, nor is everyone bigotted, but boy is it different thinking there. You will be shocked at the difference in people's attitudes, but you might end up with more money. Not sure how many friends...depends on how you see things. Memphis is considered more the deep south than Nashville however.

• Members

pressed-meat nightmare

Where's Uncle Frank when you need him....?

"Pressed meat nightmare-

You know you won't want to play

If you eat that today

Pressed meat nightmare-

It's right there in the contract

But your colon's impacted..."

• Members

Mike the problem might be the way of life in So Cal. I live in Northern California, north of San Fran and life is just slower, less stressful. But we have easy access to the city. Considering buying here, but can't buy crap with $1mil, seriously. Lived in Memphis for a year and a half and thought I'd have to shoot myself: everyone I met asked me what church I was going to join, then said something completely racial. I know it's not that way with everyone, nor is everyone bigotted, but boy is it different thinking there. You will be shocked at the difference in people's attitudes, but you might end up with more money. Not sure how many friends...depends on how you see things. Memphis is considered more the deep south than Nashville however.

I grew up in North Hollywood and down the street there were hillbillies raising chickens. A lot of big city people like to think they live in an enlighened society but the fact is some of the biggest morons in the world live in NY, LA and Chicago.

Archived