has your taste in guitars changed over the years?

chrisebrooks06

• Members

a few years ago i wouldnt go near the dean brand i couldnt stand the headstock, but now i love em, i cant explain why it just use to be too extreme for me but i saw one in a shop and it grew on me.

thats my example, i mean have you always been a strat player but slowly over time preferred gibsons/teles etc or vice versa?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not that my tastes have changed, so much as my needs.

I used to play mostly blues, and wasn't interested in owning anything but my Fat-strat (along with an identical copy in another color... for when string breaks happen on stage.)

Now I'm in a different group, and I play the kind of rock that works best with dual-HB, so that's what I usually use these days.

Five years from now... who knows?

• Members

Not much.

My first guitar was a LP copy. It was a POS but today I have one LP and three copies in my arsenal.

I learned to play on a SG that I had to sell some 20 years ago. I recently picked up one that kinda capped off my collection.

I still love the shredder style guitar so popular in the 80's and I still have a bunch of those.

• Members

nope.

i was waiting to get into a venue several week ago; and these little metalhead lookin punks were behind me. i overheard one of them say "dude, that guy has a killer tattoo of a les paul."

to which his friend replied "that's an old man guitar."

goddamn kids.

• Members
nope.

i was waiting to get into a venue several week ago; and these little metalhead lookin punks were behind me. i overheard one of them say "dude, that guy has a killer tattoo of a les paul."

goddamn kids.

Let's be real, not many kids can afford 'em. :idk:

• Members

I haven't been playing long but it just kinda branched off.

I started on a strat but moved to PRS because of the familiar shape and I wanted a little beefier sound and good versatility. I might try out a baritone next and maybe another strat for old times sake.

• Members
nope.

goddamn kids.

That was YOUR tat, right? :D

• Members

When I started I hated everything Gibson.
Thought Teles were ugly.
And hated the odd shaped stuff like Deans and BC Rich.

Now I love my Gibsons and Teles along with my Strats.

I still have the Rich's and Deans tho.

Except for this Dean
Soltero-BeautyShot-01_JPG.jpg

• Members

My tastes have changed.

I was always a Strat guy. Always. I can't recall a time when I didn't have at least one. A 74 Strat was my #1 guitar for years. I moved on to superstrats later but still always had some sort of Strat around.

Now my tastes have changed to Les Pauls and PRS. It's odd because even though I owned many a Les Paul in the past, I never felt comfy on one.

The 2 LP's I have now are maybe the best guitars I've ever owned. I dearly love them and can get any sound I want from them.

The Floyded LP also has coil splits. Between those and the Floyd it is a monster guitar and suits me very well.

I still have a Strat but I barely play it.

• Members

Well my taste in guitars was very uncool in the 80's but now it is ok. I always liked the same guitars old school Fenders, Rickenbackers and Gibson ES's. I still like the same guitars I like prefer a small radius 7-9 so I like Fenders more than I used to.

• Members

Yeah, it actually has. More towards Gibson tone and less towards Fender tone.

In my earlier years the Gibsons I was playing didn't sound as good. I had an '83 Les Paul that was muddy in the neck and too hard in the bridge, a Nighthawk Special which was versatile but IMO a poor imitator, and a 335 which didn't have as much vibe as I would like and was too bulky for my comfort. But since then, just about every Gibson I've bought has been more to my liking. The pickups sound livelier and have more chime to them. The Fenders now sound too thin and the "out-of-phase" tone of positions 2 & 4 don't hold the magic for me they once did. I'm hoping it's just a phase. :D

• Members

After learinng to play a decent bit, I really liked superstrats like Jackson, ESP, and Ibanez. To me, hot humbuckers were better for more gain, fast shreddy necks were better for more speed, and the tuning stability of a Floyd was better. But then I grew out of the hard rock metal thing pretty quickly and now am much more interested in blues, jazz, classic rock, and fusion. Basically nothing requiring more than medium gain. So I hate those kinds of guitars now and can't wait to get rid of my old Prestige Ibanez.

I went through a big Strat (single coils only!) phase and I still love them but I'm getting more appreciation for fat HB tones now, only the low-output kind. I'd like a 335 or similar variant next. I've also become much more interested in boutique/smaller company brands and usually prefer those kinds of guitars to the main mfgs. like Gibson and Fender as I believe you get a more interesting/higher quality guitar for the same price.

Archived