has your taste in guitars changed over the years?

chrisebrooks06

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Has it ever... I used to be a 100% Gibson guy. I had a bunch of LPs, a V, an ES 125 and a Firebird. Sold them all, went to the Fender scale, and pretty much never looked back.

Damn. I thought for sure that you were born with a tele in your hands. :confused:

• Members

a few years ago i wouldnt go near the dean brand i couldnt stand the headstock, but now i love em, i cant explain why it just use to be too extreme for me but i saw one in a shop and it grew on me.

thats my example, i mean have you always been a strat player but slowly over time preferred gibsons/teles etc or vice versa?

^^^^

That was me like 8 Mo ago! I couldn't STAND Teles... and Gibbys where just overpriced pieces of crap. Now I am GASSING for a Gibson LP.... still working on loving the stupid input jack on most SGs.... going straight out of the front of guitar... DUMB!

But yea, thats my story.

• Members

A few years ago I only kept an acoustic in the house out of a vague sense of duty and for a change of recording texture. When I got my reso, it reawakened my interest in acoustic music (which I hadn't really played since my teens) and now I'm almost as comfortable playing an acoustic gig or jam as I am rocking a Strat with a rhythm section.

ALMOST.

• Members

No, my tastes have pretty much been the same for the past 25 years. Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Gretsches, Ricks. I did want a sunburst L5-S when I was a kid ('buckers and L-5 tailpiece, not the Low-Z and TP-6). I'd still take one at the right price, but I'd get over not having one.

• Members

I always liked swanky woods:

This is my oldest guitar, I think it was 20 years old within the last

week or so:

ex2-body.jpg

I liked the fact that it did the shred thing with some class.

I just thought: when I bought that guitar, I still had a full head of hair!

I did have to get one of these about ten years ago:

0.jpg

But strangely, I found it didn't have quite as fast a neck as my

most recent acquisition:

Gradually, recently, I came around to this:

bodytheotherway.jpg

At 45, it's hard a little harder to gig with a shred machine unless you're

being a little ironic.

This looks more correct on someone like me:

8.jpg

• Members

My tastes haven't, but my experience has.

When I got my first decent guitar at 18 I just played it to death - it was all I could afford. Had a tiny skinny neck, 24 3/4" scale and lipsticks, yet I really wanted a Les Paul. I did eventually buy a great guitar with 2 humbuckers, but had to sell it again. Had various other guitars that I liked over the years, including a strat that has remained my number 1 since '89.

I started trying Les Pauls with a serious view about 4 years ago. I have never been so disappointed. Seems I'm a single coil guy, and always have been.

• Members
In the 80's, I LOVED whammied up superstrats, 'speciall Charvels and Jacksons.

But now I'm old, I play old mans guitars again.

:thu:

+1. But make it Kramers.

Also, I used to love the Strat's two-pickup thing, now it gives me the creeps. It sounds to me like plastic, like a toy instrument, unnatural like a dolled-up chick (yes, the type I used to like in the 80's).

I used to love bolt-on twang (spank). Now it sounds so cheap to me.

I consistently hate reverse headstocks, just as I consistently love LP tone more than anything.

• Members

I pretty much like anything Gibson with dual humbuckers, and I always have.

I have tried to like Strats, just bought a new one 2 weeks ago(!), but I keep turning the volume down as I solo, and for nearly 30 years, this still casues me grief. Call me an idiot.

Never have had one tele, ever.

Never liked those guitars that look like Norse weapons or props from 70's occult movies... What would happen if some irrate fan... there just isn't enough vaseline on this planet.

• Members

I'm a Strat guy, and I figure I'll always be one. I used to like only Superstrats with a single humbucker. Now I can't stand them, because they aren't as versatile as the SSS Strats -- which I used to dislike for their "thin-sounding" pickups. :facepalm:

I also used to hate the CBS headstock, but my 2004 Highway One is so cool, I had to change my mind. :cop:

• Members

Yes, mine definitely took a few turns. When I started out, it was electric only, then for a while, it was acoustic only, after a while it was both. And during all that electric time, it was LPs, they were it, I had some other double hb guitars, but LPs were my favorite. I wouldn't even consider a tele or strat, I thought they were fugly. At some point along the way that all changed and now teles are my definite favorite, followed by strats and then LPs and others.

• Members

It's actually in the process of changing. My guitars are an Ibanez RG, Gibson faded V, and LTD MH-40NT. All metal guitars.

Now I'm really wishing my strat-knockoff had way better electronics in it, as my desire to play single-coil based pop-rock songs is eating away at me! NEED STRAT NAO! :cop:

• Members

Now that you say it ...

At 14, I fell in love with the pic of an SG copy. Of course, in the end, I bought an awfull EKO budget guitar (we're in '76), just more than a toy.

Then, I became a huge Fender man, with first a strat copy (a Suzuki, could you believe :facepalm: ), then a Musicmaster and finally a real Stratocaster - sadly a '78 one, heavy as an anvil and sounding pretty much the same.

In the mid eighties, playing metal, I turn my attention to some Kramers, Yamaha and other Aria, before falling in love with a Fender HMT (Heavy Metal Telecaster) that became my main stage guitar for years (I still have it). Even under the floyd/humbucker influence, it was still a Fender.

It was only in the early nineties that I came back to what was my first love: an SG. Since then, I became a huge Gibson gearhead, with many SG's, my favorite being a '64 SG jr, R7 and DC jr LP's, '60 ES-330T and my custom Firebirds made by US luthier Jason DuMont.

Still, in the early 00's, I bought a Rory Gallagher Tribute Strat, because I'm such a fan of this lovely artist. And then bought an Esquire ...

Well, I bet I'm definitly torn between both brands. And Danelectros. And Gretsch. And (US made) Epiphones. And ... aaaarrRrGHH.

• Members

When I first started playing guitar I thought BC Rich and Dean guitars were the best ever. I used to love the look of them.

Now that I can actually play I won't touch 'em. I hate the way they look and most who play them..

This is just my opinion if you like them, great :thu:

• Members

Yeah.
Could never understand why anyone would buy/play an ugly-ass 2 pup Tele when there was a sexy 3 pup Strat made by the same company.

Then I heard Danny Gatton. :eek:
And the Stones.
And Prince.
And.........etc.

I get it now. I've got two now.

Archived