has your taste in guitars changed over the years?

chrisebrooks06

• Members

I started out playing Ltd's, and Epi's, I was always into humbucker's, and hated against all things Fender, and anything else with single coils.

Now, I still love my ltd viper, and gibby LP, but I've added two strats, and three tele's, and have become mainly a tele playing, country/blues fiend.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The diversity of guitars I dig has changed quite a bit. As a teenager I only cared about metal guitars, the only Gibsons I liked were Vs and Explorers and superstrat/shredders were my holy grails.

These days I can fully get into jazz boxes, Teles, Strats, Gretsch White Falcons, 335s, practically any well made instrument with some kind of style and a cool sound. :thu:

But I still love me superstrats, too. :wave:

• Members

I started out wanting a Strat, but after a year of playing, I bought a Les Paul...I think the Les Paul is where it's at for me, nothing else inspires GAS quite like the VM, a Silverburst and a Classic Antique in Honey Burst...

Guess that's just it, huh?

• Members

I've come full circle, I use to love Jackson style shredder guitars, then went on a tele/strat trip, then prs/lp, now I back to wanting a 80s shredder.

I have always been one to resist trends (unless I completely agree with the trend, then I stick with it!). I started playing in the late '80s when shred/metal was on fire, then the early '90s Alt-PUKES effectively pissed on everything '80s and it seemed like 99% of the hosers out their abandoned anything related to the '80s in favor of either intentionally {censored}ty gear or the old standbys---Strat or LP. I have never owned a Strat or LP although I respect them greatly, simply because I get sick to death of seeing everyone playing them.

That said, I can have about as much fun playing my Tele as anything, but I never once abandoned my beloved shredders, even when everyone else was doing it. I also never abandoned the guitar solo, which was a popular trend for a long time. I've always believed that a good solo adds to the song. Alex Lifeson is an example of a great player that plays whatever the hell he wants without clinging to some old relic or trying to keep up with trends, I admire that.

• Members

I started out wanting a Strat, but after a year of playing, I bought a Les Paul...I think the Les Paul is where it's at for me, nothing else inspires GAS quite like the VM, a Silverburst and a Classic Antique in Honey Burst...

Guess that's just it, huh?

Same here! I am finding that I am a neck-humbucker type of player. Only my Les Paul and my G&L ASAT Bluesboy seem to do it for me these days. I am now wanting a Les Paul Traditional and an SG.

• Members

I started out with a Tele, a Strat and an L.P. clone and couldn't imagine wanting anything else. Then I got GAS. At one point I had a slew of Strats, Teles, SG's, L.P.'s, 335's, all the 'classic' guitars - more collector than player.

Now I've got a couple Ibanez that I love, some PRS that are just perfect, and a few Fenders and a Gibson. By the end of the year, some of those will be gone.

Kind of going full circle I guess.

• Members

I'm a Strat guy. While I didn't like Strats when I first started playing they quickly grew on me, and now I'm hooked. I love Strats, to this day...10 years later haha.

But I find that know that i'm older i want a wider range of guitars. I want an acoustic/electric with a huge arch top and dual humbuckers more then anything!

Archived