Who has chosen to forgo higher wattage amps for...

C-4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The closest I have been to live playing recently was jamming with my brother...He has a 300 watt, solid state bass rig which he switched down to 150 watt mode for our jam. I brought my 3/5 watt Blackheart Little Giant mini stack and propped it up on top of stuff at ear level. Surprisingly, the BH did keep up when cranked loud, but it was lacking headroom for clean stuff. Ultimately, it's a bit too quiet for a band situation IMO, and it would need to be mic'd into a PA for a live show. I'd like to find a nice 15/30 watt amp.

I'm keeping my 60 watt Fender Blues Deville 410. It has some good clean headroom, and it can keep up in a live jam situation. And, yes, I know the crunch channel sounds like ass on this amp...so, I don't use the crunch channel. ;)

• Members

I have played both ways - A 15W Trace Elliot Velocette or a Blues Jr, or a Bassman or Mesa MKIII.

Love both - the smaller ones, esp the Velo have a great sound when cranked, and you get that tactile aspect of playing an am that's pushed hard.
OTOH there's a deepness and just plain bigger sound to a medium/big amp even when it's not pushed. Right now I'm in the big amp on idle camp

• Members

My "big" amp is the Mesa SOB pictured in my avatar. It's a bit more in the middle zone between big and small amps at around 50 watts. After playing a couple gigs last weekend unmiked, I think lower wattage but an additional speaker would be better. I'd really like to get a Vox AC30 as it's loud enough for a band, has the spread and it's not too big.

I did use my Pro Jr. on several gigs when I used to have it, miked up of course. Wouldn't mind getting one of those Mesa 5:25 combos too!

• Members

I used to be Mr. Overkill.
I eventually got tired of trying to set the volume knob between 2 7/16 * 2 1/2.
And it was heavy. And expensive.

I have found lately though that I need at least 2 output tubes. That 5 watt stuff isn't enough. I like strong cleans sometimes, and I like to have some visceral impact, not just volume.

• Members

Yeah, I don't gig or play in a band so I am not an expert. The only thing that I would say is that it would depend on your style.

If you like fat sustaining tone than a good lower wattage amp with the power stage cranked up would compress and overdrive better at lower volumes.

If you play clean stuff you'd need more headroom so keeping the main power output a little lower will keep you clean while still getting loud enough.

From what I understand from reading and my general knowledge is that the real sound is going to come from the power stage. Using preamp gain will effect your tone, but its usually going to be thinner and maybe harsher. God-tone comes from the higher output portion of the amp.

But like DCinDC said, trying to dial in a big ass amp to 2 7/16 volume is not only silly, it can be a pain in the ass. Why even have that much in reserve if you aren't going to use it? And you've got to make the tubes work to get the advantage of having them or you may as well have an SS amp.

I could of course be talking completely out of my ass.

• Members
I'm keeping my 60 watt Fender Blues Deville 410. It has some good clean headroom, and it can keep up in a live jam situation. And, yes, I know the crunch channel sounds like ass on this amp...so, I don't use the crunch channel.
;)

I liked the dirty channel on mine, but sold it because it was TOO LOUD.

• Members

I have found that the need for power is driven by what the other guys in the band do. I have been running an Epi Jr. at practice through a 4x12 and it is damn loud, as in loud enough. But if the bass player were to suddenly show up with an SVT and start turning things up (as bass players sometimes do), I would get blown out of the water pretty fast and need something bigger.

Bingo -- I used my Orange Rockerverb 50 2x12 combo but when the bassist got an Ampeg SVT4 and 8x10 and the other guitarist got an Orange Rockerverb 100 half stack, I had to upgrade. Used a Marshall DSL 100 but the cab was farting out, so I started with a new cab which was great with the Marshall, but I wanted Orange tones, so I just got the 100 watt Rockerverb, traded in the 50 watt which didn't have the headroom. I dont' see myself going back to a small amp any time soon. We play lots of gigs unmiced, so I need the volume:

orange-rv100-half-stack.jpg

• Members
I love that thing!

I may have asked you before...is there a line out on that
for an extension cab
? If so...how many ohms?

P1010209.jpg

the possibilities are endless. The internal cab is 8 ohm, but if you disconnect it you can run an 8 ohm cab on that line. You can also run two cabs at 4 ohms if you want. Additionally, you can run the internal cab and an external cab both at 4 ohms. Tonnes of options.

• Members
The real trick is switchable wattage
:D

P1010206.jpg

25 watts is plenty loud for most gigs (I don't play stadiums, i'm mainly a busker)

5 watts is plenty for home/practice. Its loud.

P1010192.jpg

Combined with this and i'm happy tonally regardless of the settings on this amp

P1010533.jpg

nice rig !!!

got my eye on a mesa 5/50 combo...

can you get a nice rectifier tone out of it ???

• Members

I'm buying a Fender Hot Rod Blues Jr.... only 15 watts... but I am definitly afraid of it!

Now adays, I only see moving up to bigger amps as an excuse to indulge in more options and luxuries... like Standby switchs, half power switchs, 2 or more channels, and effects loops...

If Fender put those into a small jr... (Well. maybe not the channels) it would be the best amp in the world... pity the big amp companies won't do it...

• Members

nice rig !!!

got my eye on a mesa 5/50 combo...

can you get a nice rectifier tone out of it ???

Close, but not quite. It excells at the low-medium gain and does high gain pretty well, but i don't think it has quite as much distortion on tap as a recto usually does. All 4 voices on it are useful, and sound good. Its certainly not a one trick pony.

• Members

Yep I overkilled on power I use a 50 watter valvetronix 2x12 but most of the time I only run the wattage control at about half or a little more than half. But I think there is going to be a time when I will need that extra power. I still love having that extra power though. And it sounds so good cranked!

• Members

I used to get the higher wattage amps for the headroom. But then I realized that no matter which band I'm playing in all I do is blast the damn thing at full throttle anyway, so I switched from a 50-watt, to a 30-watt, and have now moved down to an 18-watt. It gives a great sense of raw power from the amp, if you know what I mean. There's something unique these days about being able to tame an amp's natural distortion rather than using overdrive pedals.

Though, I probably will invest in a Lil' Leo pedal just for tonal purposes.

• Members
:cop::facepalm::lol:

80 pounds is a bit heavy... for me at least

Just goes to show you I'm talking out of my ass! I've only every played them in stores so I didn't know it was so damn heavy! I've actually been thinking about getting a Tech 21 Trademark 60 for ease of use.

• Members

I'm done with 50+ wattage amps and big cabs forever. The louder the stage amp is, the tougher it is for the sound tech to balance things out. I use a small amp and mic it, or (even better) use the D.I. out on my Windsor combo, and attenuate my speaker to be just loud enough to serve as a personal monitor for me.

If I need more "headroom", I can just turn the amp down and turn the slider on the PA board up. Why on earth would I want to go back to lugging a full stack around?

Heck, if the day ever comes that I hear a software-based amp model I like, I might just start plugging my guitar in to the Mac I use to run the board, and forgo amps entirely.

That day hasn't come yet, so a small tube combo still goes with me everywhere.

Archived