Who has chosen to forgo higher wattage amps for...

C-4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since the late 80s/early 90s (old men forget, yunno), my main gigging amp has been a 1969 all-tube Fender Super Reverb (4x10, 40w), and I generally run it with the volume between 4 (where I set it at the start of a gig or rehearsal) and 6 (where I've generally sneaked it up to by the end). Anything louder would simply be pointless overkill.

Its predecessor was a 120w Peavey Deuce combo, loaded with volume potential I never EVER got the chance to use. Total waste of watts if all you're playing are pubs'n clubs.

• Members

My Orange AD30 is my favorite, and I don't use it for clean headroom. Although I'm surprised the amount of clean headroom I can get out of channel 2, using my two fulltone pedals for the real grit and dirt. (I use channel one as a full-on dirt channel.) The voicing of the Orange makes it very difficult for other amps to cover it up, even if they are significantly louder. Still, a mere 30 watts into a 4x12 is hell to pay on the ears, and I usually only put the master up a quarter of the way.

Still, nothing competes with the Fender Twin. That thing is stupid loud, and I swear it blows away my halfstacks.

• Members

I have two Crate Vintage Club 20's (15 watts each). I use one to practice with, the 112, and one to gig with, the 110. I run the 110 through a Marshall 1960 Vintage 4 x 12 cab. I have way more than enough headroom and the tone is amazing.

It's also fun to run the two amps in stereo mode... more for jacking around in the studio than gigging.

Make no mistake, some of these smaller amps can easily drive big cabs... myth busted.

Archived