New macbook the macbook air.

nerol1st

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gorgeous, but, anyone looking at this as a primary machine is going to be disappointed...

1) No firewire (WTF!?)

2) Sealed battery ( extra time from??)

3) Optical Smoptical

4) 1 USB (!!??)

5) No Ethernet?? (yes, speed junkies still use CABLES)

The thing is beautiful. A writers dream...A road warrior journalists dream, but not a musicians machine for sure. I was all geeked waiting, but, looking like I'll max out a macbook or get a refurbed 15 pro instead..btw- yippee to the return to black keys with white letters...I HATE the silver keys...very hard to read..

Now, the Time Capsule ( and the 8 core from last week) ...that is the sleeper hit here...

Mixed bag, certainly an overall bummer.

And, just in case any one is paying attention...Netflix is still better...I could rip a movie to HD for viewing later rather having it expire on me...then drop it on Apple TV to the big TV. If the rentals were 72 hours and $1.99, I'd give it a look...

• Members

Gorgeous, but, anyone looking at this as a primary machine is going to be disappointed...

I'm thinking that's Apple's whole point; don't most folk have at least two computers by now?

As a traveling companion, this thing rocks! And I think that's what its really intended to be. :)

• Members

Apple does a pretty good job of contextualizing their products in the MacWorld presentations. Jobs delivered this from a kraft interoffice memo pouch/mailer.

So I'm guessing that this is a narrow wedge to maintain a premium place in corporate laptop deployments. This is a travel laptop that a zillion executives will request tomorrow. You need a network to make this thing useful.

It is another play on the disaffection with Vista too. Apple plays to enthusiasts. I mean who says, "Man I've got to get a Vista laptop for my next trip."

just one more thing-

over at Fortune October 2007 they divide laptop sales into five tiers by price. In this report they appear to have nearly 30% share in the most expensive tier. follow the margin.

• Members

It's purely designed to keep with you at all times at the smallest form factor possible, otherwise you would just get a macbook or macbook pro. An optical drive and firewire would have made the casing larger, thus defeating the purpose.

And, I get your sarcasm, but it's hardly an oversized iPod. It's just as functional as a macbook or macbook pro minus the optical and firewire. It's a super slim (.76" thick at it's thickest point) ultra portable notebook at a premium. They aren't pulling MBPs any time soon, so I say the more options the better and welcome the Air. As a graphic designer, I'd love to have one with me at all times.

Bah... this is going to be another hit in apple's line of products, anyway.

For those willing to leave their powerful computers at home and take the lightest thing on the road, it will be a hit.

... but as pricey as it can be and lacking several "pro" (for music) features, for the most of us, musicians, it'll surely be a NO THANKS the most of the cases.

I'm keeping my MBP.

• Members

It's a $3000 turd in my opinion. Apple needs to get back into making computers and not fashion.

$1799 without the solid state drive ($999 add-on). I obviously disagree that it's a turd, but to each his own I suppose.

• Members

A writers dream...A road warrior journalists dream, but not a musicians machine for sure.

Mixed bag, certainly an overall bummer.

Might be good for somebody but definately a musician's nightmare, saying it rates as a "mixed bag" is probably being pretty kind.

• Members

I think it looks pretty sweet, to be honest. Yes, it has stripped down features---but as someone who goes away to conferences and so on on a fairly regular basis its exactly what I'd be looking for---lightweight and with all the excess features stripped out.

No, its not a primary machine. But thats not who its aimed at!

Sam

• Members

And Apple's stock got killed today

Apple's very much a buy the rumor, sell the fact sort of proposition. The stock frequently rallies into these sorts of events and slumps afterwards. And as for yesterday, the broader stock market was having a bit of bad day, so it's no surprise Apple suffered.

• Members

Hey, I saw a car the other day, and it only had two seats! Totally useless to ANYONE! What were they thinking? There was no truck bed for me to put my amplifier in on the way to gigs, and it had a gas-wasting V6 instead of a 4-cylinder... how could ANYONE ever consider owning such a vehicle! What a turd!

Oh, wait... you mean, there are people who aren't EXACTLY like me, and may have DIFFERENT wants and needs from a car than I do? And that some people might actually LIKE that kind of car for the type of driving they do? Really? And I'm a complete and total moron for not being able to understand that not EVERYONE on the planet is exactly like me? Oh, I guess you're right. :idea:

Archived