New macbook the macbook air.

nerol1st

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"I hope you see my point that you seem to be the exception rather than the rule in that an iMac is too obtrusive, a MacBook Pro won't work and the balls out towers are overpowered and thus too expensive."

I might be, or I might be one of the 90+% of computer users who DON'T go with a Mac, many for similar reasons to my own. The G3 and then G4 PowerPC product line suited me perfectly for a long time. It was weird to realize that Apple didn't make a computer for me any more.

hmm, my G4 MDD 1GHz DP cost me $2k in 2002. Five years later, for $300 more, I can get a Mac Pro 2.8 Quad Core with 2GB.

Nearly two years ago I bought a 1.83 MBP for $2k - it's 4x faster than my MDD. It's dead quiet. When I'm in my studio, I'm running esata drives off it and using additional display and bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

The baseline $500 Mini is 4x faster than my old G4.

I have no use for the new 'Air', nor does my wife who was really hoping to replace her aging sub-notebook pc. But to piss on the whole apple line-up is silly.

• Members

CrashC,

The reason I can't put an IMac on my desk is because they are not silent. I track acoustic instruments sitting right in front of my computer, and my computer case goes in an isolation box on the floor.

In addition to that show-stopper I'm bothered by the concept of all in one machines. Component failure should be a simple matter of swapping out the affected part and not one of either shipping it back to the retailer or junking the whole thing.

Looks like you you are want to work your way instead of changing it around to work the mac way which to many of us is worth it. Hey, to Each his own. We pay more for the mac because we think it's worth it. You didn't want to do that or are unable to financially so it pisses you off. Sucks man.

As far as my macbook pro, it's bar none, the finest Laptop on the market today...I LOVE it! Apple doesn't only make Toys...They have a full line from a hobbiest to a pro but you will pay for it.

• Members

As far as my macbook pro, it's bar none, the finest Laptop on the market today...I LOVE it! Apple doesn't only make Toys...They have a full line from a hobbiest to a pro but you will pay for it.

Again, not to pile on the lovefest, but I had very high expectations for my MBP, and it blew all of them away, and gave me stuff I didn't even KNOW that I'd need until I had it.

And yeah... $2500 big ones, and worth every penny, IMHO.

Archived