Cease and Desist, You Old Fart: Heart absolutely demolishes McCain

Music Calgary

• Moderators

I hear the Wilson sisters actually back McCain because he was brave enough to choose a woman as a running mate. Too bad so many people around here find the idea so frightening.

I find the idea of two imbeciles in charge of what's left of the once healthy American economy and military to be extremely frightening.

Terry D.

P.S. Oh, sorry, I thought I was in the Poli forum. ;)

• Members

I find the idea of two imbeciles in charge of what's left of the once healthy American economy and military to be extremely frightening.

Terry D.

P.S. Oh, sorry, I thought I was in the Poli forum.
;)

Hmmmmm. Two imbeciles? Greenspan and who? The economy was doomed when he kept lowering interest rates to encourage people to spend into debt rather than save for the future.

• Members

I hear the Wilson sisters actually back McCain because he was brave enough to choose a woman as a running mate. Too bad so many people around here find the idea so frightening.

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of a female running mate. It's this particular female running mate I find frightening.

I'm glad it's a fake, though. Whether you're for or against McCain, that would've been utterly tasteless. Even for rock stars.

• Moderators

Hmmmmm. Two imbeciles? Greenspan and who? The economy was doomed when he kept lowering interest rates to encourage people to spend into debt rather than save for the future.

Aside from who caused this debacle, I sometimes think that spending oneself into debt (vs saving and living frugally, as my wife and I have done) was the correct strategy.

People who spent themselves into debt they can never repay have had a hell of a great life and it's not like they're going to debtor's prison for being irresponsible. In fact, the fools like me who have saved and worked hard to build up a pension are the suckers as the government is simply going to print more money to cover the mess and therefore decrease the value of pension funds, savings, etc.

Terry D.

• Members

I'd say that's less than factual, as they say in the press.

A surprising oversight... It seriously made all the papers.

I hope you'll be catching up with current events before November.

from the BBC:

Heart sisters' Palin song anger

_44995388_heart_226getty.jpg
Ann and Nancy Wilson said they would refuse permission to use the song

Rock band Heart have called in lawyers after US vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin used their track Barracuda at a Republican Party rally.

Singers Ann and Nancy Wilson said a cease-and-desist letter had been sent to the party asking it not to use the song, a US hit in 1977.

"The Republican campaign did not ask for permission, nor would they have been granted permission," they said.

[...] Last month, Jackson Browne took legal action against the Republicans over their use of his song Running On Empty in a McCain campaign advertisement.

• Members

But really, the Wilsons are right when they say: why don't the Republicans find a song in the canon of their own supporting artistes? George Strait et.al. must feel really passed over when they start playing "Barracuda".

It seems most of the Rock establishment in the USA is Democratic, no? Truth be told, I'd suspect plenty in the C&W establishment are, too.

from that BBC photo, it looks like Ann has dropped a few pounds.... She had gotten truly enormous there, for awhile, about 4-5 years ago. What's with Nancy's new Titian locks?

I wish the Wilson's wouldn't pick on Bill Engvall, though; that man is truly a sweetheart of a mensch who wouldn't hurt anyone. Swiping at him was a cheap shot.

• Members

Funny, I hear a troll.

What an ironic response from you Chip. ;)

In truth I pretty much detest and distrust both parties. Each stands on their podium pointing a finger at the other when they should be looking in the mirror. I also don't feel any love for the actors and musicians that blindly back them.

The only positive of this election is that the choices are a little better than they were in the last two presidential elections. But for me there are three choices.

The black man - not really different than the white man, but it could be good for the country to have a black president for the healing factor among races.

The old man - you have to wonder if he will die of old age in office or at least go senile. At least he might cut back on wasteful spending that is driving the country deeper into debt.

The woman - seeing that the old man might not make it through his term if he wins you have to consider his running mate, the woman. At least she is an outsider to Washington and could shake things up but you never know how people react when they get power.

What I really find interesting is the comments "I will vote for a woman, just not that woman" or "I will vote for a black man, just not that black man." It makes you wonder if what they really mean is "I will vote for a woman or black man, but not one smart, strong and forceful enough to get the power and attention needed for a presidential run. :rolleyes:

• Members

Terry D.

P.S. Oh, sorry, I thought I was in the Poli forum.
;)

No Kidding! Lucky for us I do beleive people are starting to see through Barack Osama's garbage. How long can you say change and never once suggest how you plan to do it....besides, land of the free and smartest wins should be the way. If you are to stupid to get a good job or apply for a green card you dont deserve {censored}!

• Members

No Kidding! Lucky for us I do beleive people are starting to see through Barack Osama's garbage. How long can you say change and never once suggest how you plan to do it....besides, land of the free and smartest wins should be the way. If you are to stupid to get a good job or apply for a green card you dont deserve {censored}!

Cute spelling.

Of course, guys like you keep piling on the lies hoping folks will be fooled...

Obama has, indeed, put out a number of somewhat detailed proposals but the contention he has not is part of the "narrative" that his opponents have tried to develop (the buzz word for elections these days is narrative, after all) to dismiss him. But in most areas, Obama's proposals are actually more detailed and less vague than McCain's own.

That line of contention is a sham and a lie.

If anyone is interested in the actual facts, they're not at all hard to find.

But they usually don't come in a chain email...

• Members

Obama has, indeed, put out a number of somewhat detailed proposals but the contention he has not is part of the "narrative" that his opponents have tried to develop (the buzz word for elections these days is
narrative,
after all) to dismiss him. But in most areas, Obama's proposals are actually more detailed and less vague than McCain's own.

I agree wholeheartedly that Obama's "change" does indeed have substance. The problem is that Obama's substance is massive increases in government at all levels and in all ways. Taxpayers who vote for Obama are like chickens that vote for Colonel Sanders. No thank you.

And for those of you in CA, don't you pay enough in big government taxes and fees already?

Oh yeah, I forgot that Obama/Biden supporters are supposed to believe that increasing taxes is the patriotic thing to do. What I can't understand is how they think forcing higher taxes is patriotic but neither Obama nor Biden are personally charitable with their own money (neglecting Obama's recently charitable contributions since he began his presidential bid).

Both these guys are rich by most people's standards, and yet neither feels compelled to give their own money. Why should we feel compelled to vote for guys who promise to raise taxes? Consider that Obama's tax plan increases taxes on corporations. These corporations will respond by sending jobs overseas and passing on their costs to you and me. America already has the 2nd highest corporate tax rate in the industrialized world. Increasing corporate taxes can only be bad for our employment situation.

Obama's tax plan also gets rid of the lower taxes on stocks and bonds. That hurts everyone who owns them, not just the rich.

Obama is not the first to propose new taxes this way, and clearly, both sides of the aisle have done plenty of it. What I can't understand is why Americans are so stupid that they don't recognize how bad it is. "Tax the Rich" is the mantra. Make somebody else pay so the rest of us can benefit. I don't buy it, and I'd prefer not to be forced to buy it.

• Members

I agree wholeheartedly that Obama's "change" does indeed have substance. The problem is that Obama's substance is massive increases in government at all levels and in all ways. Taxpayers who vote for Obama are like chickens that vote for Colonel Sanders. No thank you.

You could say extremely wealthy people who vote for Obama are like chickens that vote for Colonel Sanders. For the vast majority of Americans, Obama would lower taxes. McCain tried to take that same line and the fact checkers called him on it.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/there_he_goes_again.html

Archived