What are some good acoustic guitars with a $300 budget?

charmender

• Members

I've been practicing for a while now, and i want to buy a better acoustic guitar. I have a budget of $300, though i wouldn't mind spending an extra 50 dollars if it's a good guitar. So far, with all the research that i've done, the Fender CD-60SCE and the Yamaha FGX800 look like good choices. I don't know too much about guitars and which brands make good guitars, so any advice will help.

• Members

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - he has started two threads that are kind of related and indicate a beginner struggling to get started.

Yamahas are kind of the go to budget starter instrument - they are almost always good. Fenders are a crap shoot - I personally don't think they make great acoustics but a few folks seem to like them and their recent models are getting better reviews.

The important thing in my book, particularly for someone getting started, is to have the guitar "set up" to play as well and as easily as possible - some stores will do this automatically but you might have to pay that extra 50 bucks to have it done. The other recommendation is to take someone who plays (the genre that you are interested in) with you to a store with lots of guitar and both of you play everything you can. Go a bit above your budget - sometimes you can dicker on a guitar you like but it will also show you whats available in different prices.

• Members
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - he has started two threads that are kind of related and indicate a beginner struggling to get started.

Yamahas are kind of the go to budget starter instrument - they are almost always good. Fenders are a crap shoot - I personally don't think they make great acoustics but a few folks seem to like them and their recent models are getting better reviews.

The important thing in my book, particularly for someone getting started, is to have the guitar "set up" to play as well and as easily as possible - some stores will do this automatically but you might have to pay that extra 50 bucks to have it done. The other recommendation is to take someone who plays (the genre that you are interested in) with you to a store with lots of guitar and both of you play everything you can. Go a bit above your budget - sometimes you can dicker on a guitar you like but it will also show you whats available in different prices.

I think Fender should stop making acoustic instruments immediately.

This import might work.

:idk:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...d-240e-natural

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GUI-D240E-LIST

[video=youtube;9i6HUmGA844]

[video=youtube;1I5tdvM8lL4]

[video=youtube;4xnd-6fXSZQ]

Guild Guitar | OM-240e

[video=youtube;e7Tx_llDzTk]

Guild M-240e

[video=youtube;QFtrbAOVJW8]

[video=youtube;bsgE6YnJzMc]

• Moderators
Neither. Assuming you're not a bot' date=' find a good acoustic only guitar with no electronics. Yamaha is usually a good bet. What's available where you are, again assuming you're a real person?[/quote']

he was a bot, spammer, d!ckhead ...but 'y'all have fun talking cheap guitars...

• Members
I think Fender should stop making acoustic instruments immediately.

This import might work.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...d-240e-natural

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GUI-D240E-LIST . . .

Granted, it doesn't matter but how does a $400 acoustic/electric qualify for someone who is looking for a straight acoustic for $300 or less?

• Members

Granted, it doesn't matter but how does a $400 acoustic/electric qualify for someone who is looking for a straight acoustic for $300 or less?

There's a lot of junk out there for 300 bucks. A decent pick up cost many 100 bucks. Guild tossed the pick pup in for free.

I have played a few of those cheap imports Guilds and for the money, they are rather nice.

They don't have huge necks like the old school Guilds.

Like you said it doesn't matter.

he was a bot, spammer, d!ckhead ...but 'y'all have fun talking cheap guitars...

Yes, it was a bot, or at bare minimum a spammer, and I banned him and deleted the spam lines that were later added to his posts - but the questions that were initially asked are still legitimate, and the sorts of things that "real" people often wonder about. Sure, we know the answers and we've all been there, and we've even addressed these types of questions many times in the past, but for someone new to guitar who is just thinking about getting started today, this stuff is all new - and therefore, your answers have value to them. When someone like that does a google search on "good acoustic guitar for $300" this is the type of stuff they're going to find - so I'm leaving the threads themselves up for that reason.

There's a lot of junk out there for 300 bucks. A decent pick up cost many 100 bucks. Guild tossed the pick pup in for free.

On a beginner / intermediate level guitar, it's probably a value-added bonus - but to be honest, those pickups didn't sound particularly impressive to me - the acoustic sounds OTOH seemed pretty darned good - especially at the ~$400 price point.

I have played a few of those cheap imports Guilds and for the money, they are rather nice.

They don't have huge necks like the old school Guilds.

I've always dug the sound of Guilds, and I've even owned a few myself, but playing their necks has always been a bit of a struggle for me with my smaller than average mitts. I'll have to give a few of the new models a try.

You'll almost certainly get something better for your money if you buy a used guitar.

And if you're a beginner, you might also get taken, or wind up with something unsuitable or inappropriate for your needs. With a new guitar, at least you are usually going to have a warranty...

At the very least, if you're new to guitar and are thinking about going the used instrument route, I'd recommend you take someone knowledgeable with you when you go shopping or have any guitar you're strongly considering buying evaluated by a pro first before committing to buying anything.

• Moderators

Yes, it was a bot, or at bare minimum a spammer, and I banned him and deleted the spam lines that were later added to his posts - but the questions that were initially asked are still legitimate, and the sorts of things that "real" people often wonder about. Sure, we know the answers and we've all been there, and we've even addressed these types of questions many times in the past, but for someone new to guitar who is just thinking about getting started today, this stuff is all new - and therefore, your answers have value to them. When someone like that does a google search on "good acoustic guitar for $300" this is the type of stuff they're going to find - so I'm leaving the threads themselves up for that reason.

I think we both landed on this clown simultaneously, because after I ran the ban I went back and I saw the spam references in two of the threads were gone, but I zapped the third thread he started with a real blatant spam line ...and I did not zap this thread for the same reasons as you: the discussion, despite how it started, was valid...hence my closing line.

• Members

On a beginner / intermediate level guitar, it's probably a value-added bonus - but to be honest, those pickups didn't sound particularly impressive to me - the acoustic sounds OTOH seemed pretty darned good - especially at the ~$400 price point.

I've always dug the sound of Guilds, and I've even owned a few myself, but playing their necks has always been a bit of a struggle for me with my smaller than average mitts. I'll have to give a few of the new models a try.

I have smaller than average mitts too.

One day while at a shop in upper NY State I grabbed one of the import Guilds off a stand to give it a whirl.

I was impressed, especially for the price. The necks were a lot smaller than what I remember the old Guilds having, the heel is still larger than a Martin, Taylor, or a Yamaha.

I think the one I grabbed was in the 600 dollar range. It was, however, a small body acoustic.

300 bucks is a super hard price range. A little wiggle room between 300-500 is much easier to work with. Plus you'll want a case for it.

It's really hard to say what sounds good on a video, and how some folks record stuff can be a video mystery. I have a buddy that just bought a new Martin D 35, with a fancy Fishman system, I wasn't impressed with the pickup. No that's a whole topic in itself. Yes, I told him I like it, however I didn't love it.

Unfortunately, HC doesn't come up with a quick Google search, but there's been plenty written about guitars in the price range.

good acoustic guitar for $300

• Members
You'll almost certainly get something better for your money if you buy a used guitar.

I'm the guy who fixes guitars and most used guitars, particularly cheap ones, have something wrong with them.

My humble advice is always to buy a new guitar from a reputable store with someone on the staff who can make sure the guitar is properly set up when it goes out the door.

I think we both landed on this clown simultaneously, because after I ran the ban I went back and I saw the spam references in two of the threads were gone, but I zapped the third thread he started with a real blatant spam line ...and I did not zap this thread for the same reasons as you: the discussion, despite how it started, was valid...hence my closing line.

Yeah, we were doing it at the same time, because I saw he had three posts, and I'm working on it, and the next thing I saw, there were only two left... :eek2::lol: ...and I knew I didn't select the "delete all posts" option when I zapped him, because I wanted to keep at least a couple of the threads since the replies were so good...

I have smaller than average mitts too.

One day while at a shop in upper NY State I grabbed one of the import Guilds off a stand to give it a whirl.

I was impressed, especially for the price. The necks were a lot smaller than what I remember the old Guilds having, the heel is still larger than a Martin, Taylor, or a Yamaha.

I think the one I grabbed was in the 600 dollar range. It was, however, a small body acoustic.

I'm always on the lookout for comfy necks, so that's good to know!

The ONLY Guild I picked up at NAMM this year was their travel guitar (the Guild Jumbo Junior), and I thought it both played and sounded pretty good for that class of instrument. It's hard to really dig into the subtleties of sound at NAMM, but I'd bet it would hang in there just fine vs. my hog Taylor GS Mini.

300 bucks is a super hard price range. A little wiggle room between 300-500 is much easier to work with. Plus you'll want a case for it.

$500 is, IMO, a really good price range for a decent quality acoustic guitar - it may be a bit of a stretch for some beginners, but if you're serious, it gives you some growing room that isn't as likely to be there on a $300 model. You're right, people also should not forget to factor in the cost of a case and the other necessary accessories too - an electronic tuner (or app for your smartphone), a strap, case, picks and humidifier...

It's really hard to say what sounds good on a video, and how some folks record stuff can be a video mystery. I have a buddy that just bought a new Martin D 35, with a fancy Fishman system, I wasn't impressed with the pickup. No that's a whole topic in itself. Yes, I told him I like it, however I didn't love it.

Pickups are usually a let-down for me when it comes to acoustics - I'm a recording engineer, so I'm a mic guy through and through. I'll use pickups in the studio if there's a reason we need or want to do so, but I'm always going to have a stereo pair of mics up if the situation allows. And yes, the audio quality on videos is always suspect - but you can generally tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't - it's kind of hard to go wrong with a decently placed pair of Neumann KM84's and an AKG C451E with a CK28 capsule. Nothing beats hearing it in person for yourself of course, but you can get a decent idea if the video is well produced with an ear towards audio quality.

• Members

:wave:

I have yet to see a Guild Mini Jumbo, but it looks a good as the Taylor GS Mini.

I have 2 GS minis. One has no pick up in it. The other is a Koa, which is really nice. and has the Expression system in it, not the newer EB -S system.

• Members
. . . 300 bucks is a super hard price range. A little wiggle room between 300-500 is much easier to work with. Plus you'll want a case for it. . . .

$300 is only as hard as you want it to be. Alvarez, Yamaha, Recording King, Takamine, Washburn, etc. all offer decent guitars in the under $300 range. If you want a pro level guitar, no, but if you want something that's "good" and a bit more you'll do fine.

• Members

I think you did right to leave the opening posts. Phil. The forum attracts lots of beginners seeking advice.

But sad to see all the negative posts about beginner guitars. We all start out uncertain about whether we will take to guitar playing and many people seek advice from mature players. What is the point of recommending guitars costing lots of $$$$. The Fender CD-60 mentioned by the OP (whether he be a spammer or not) is a perfectly good beginner guitar- it is well made, plays well and sounds good. I would have given a lot for a guitar like this when I started out.

Come on people - remember when you were young..

That's a different link. :) That link works fine... but the other link ( https://reviews.thedailymeal.com/reviews/best-acoustic-guitars ) that you posted is giving me a connection reset error. It's most likely something at their end.

• Members

That's a different link. :) That link works fine... but the other link ( https://reviews.thedailymeal.com/reviews/best-acoustic-guitars ) that you posted is giving me a connection reset error. It's most likely something at their end.

Interesting that when I click on the URL in your post it takes me to the page. I keep it book marked in case someone asks me what the best acoustic guitars are, its nice to be able to tell them what the experts think. I think the OP should just buy himself a Jasmine.

Archived