What are some good acoustic guitars with a $300 budget?

charmender

• Members

I don't know where you guys buy used guitars, but the store I go to makes sure used ones are set up and working fine just as new ones. As for getting taken, you can sure get taken by buying a new guitar... Sounds like you guys are assuming used guitars come from shady stores and I wouldn't buy a new or used guitar from a shady store. Maybe make sure you're going to a decent place that sells new and used, beginner and expert guitars because those are the stores interested in keeping you as a long term customer.

• Members
I don't know where you guys buy used guitars' date=' but the store I go to makes sure used ones are set up and working fine just as new ones. As for getting taken, you can sure get taken by buying a new guitar... Sounds like you guys are assuming used guitars come from shady stores and I wouldn't buy a new or used guitar from a shady store. Maybe make sure you're going to a decent place that sells new and used, beginner and expert guitars because those are the stores interested in keeping you as a long term customer. [/quote']

Actually, Blackface, that is not at all true. First, the two music stores in my home town sell very few, if any, used guitars. They occasionally sell on commission, almost never take a guitar on trade, and sometimes post "for sale" cards on a bulletin board. I would say that the never "make sure used ones are set up and working fine...."

Secondly, I'm a repair guy and people bring guitars to me to fix. I do work for one of the music stores, they frequently refer someone to me. While I hate generalities, I'll make one - used guitars frequently have issues. That can range from mild (needing a setup and string) to major issues - most often needing frets and a neck reset. Often someone is selling a guitar because it is hard to play, and its hard to play because it needs work. It is the rare store that takes in a guitar, does all the required work and hangs it on the wall - I expect that of vintage guitars at a store like Gruhn's, I don't expect that on a three hundred dollar (or less) twenty year old PacRim special.

I always recommend against buying a used guitar UNLESS you know exactly what you are buying, what to look for and what it costs to fix the problems you will find. And I really don't expect a new player to be able to do this at all.

(ps - this is a few years old and prices have gone up a bit, but I seriously suggest someone shopping for a used guitar print it out and take with you. If nothing else it gives you some ammunition to negotiate

http://www.bryankimsey.com/2015%20Price%20List.pdf

• Members
Neither. Assuming you're not a bot' date=' find a good acoustic only guitar with no electronics. Yamaha is usually a good bet. What's available where you are, again assuming you're a real person?[/quote']

Exactly.

1. Get a used guitar.

2. If you can, find someone who knows more than you do about guitars to help you.

Archived