Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mic boom counterweight

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool - thanks for checking the weight and reporting back DeepEnd!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
      Okay, final update: Mrs. DeepEnd's diet scale says a bit less than 12 ounces, about 335 grams. It's not a Postal scale so it's not super accurate but it should be fairly close. I could add small amounts of weight by adding extra nuts if I wanted, probably less than 50¢ each. All told I'm happy with it and I recommend it to anyone who needs a cheap solution.
      Nice. I'm curious of how it looks. Do you have any pictures of the setup?
      Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
      Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

Yes, it's a round base. I bought the stand used via CraigsList, $15 with the boom. I use it for recording. If I were buying new I'd probably look for something with a tripod base. Lord knows I have plenty of crap lying around to use for dead weight.
        A dumbbell or barbell weight works well.

I think they sell them in singles at Walmart.

If you have the tripod kind you can use a wheelbarrow inner tub, remover the stem and fill it with sand or water. Then put the stem back in place. Drape it over the tripod part.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

My Samson C01U mike is heavy enough and the base on my mike stand small enough that it tends to tip. I checked online and found out a proper counterweight would run me $15-20 minimum but I'm cheap. A trip to the local hardware store netted a large cable clamp for a penny over $5 with tax:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	32412449
          All is well and if I need more weight later I can always buy another one.
          Might be useful for me. I use a boom with a flexible extension to get my mic over my two keyboard setup. Balance is often an issue, and a bit of extra counterweight couldn't hurt.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by davie View Post
            Nice. I'm curious of how it looks. Do you have any pictures of the setup?
            You just take the clamp apart by unscrewing the nuts, slide it over the boom, and reassemble it. It's mainly just a big U bolt. Here's a bad pic (sorry, my camera was almost out of juice so I only got one shot):

Name:	C_Weight.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	32417014
            That's the grip on the left and the main part of the boom is off to the right. The background is the wall of my basement. I'd say 60% of the boom is on the side away from the mike. It works well and it was cheap.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Member of the Schecter Society
            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
              Might be useful for me. I use a boom with a flexible extension to get my mic over my two keyboard setup. Balance is often an issue, and a bit of extra counterweight couldn't hurt.
              $5 and a trip to the hardware store might be worth it. If you decide to go for it let us know how it works for you.

Comment

I had the same issues with some boom stands maybe 10 years ago. I relied on using what I had lying around at home for the fix.

On the Vocal mic the drummer used a goose neck which adds allot of weight.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0423.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	32417486

I used a heavy clamp like tool used to remove pressed bearings as a counterweight. Chances of me ever removing bearings again is a million to one so it's been repurposed.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0424.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	32417487

Here's another you'll love. My overhead mics are mounted to a small piece of wood. Even though its fairly light, the quality of the mic stand is not very good. (You typically use your non critical, beat up mic stands for drums)

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0425.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	32417488

Between the weight of two mics, the holders and the cables the weight caused the stand to bow down and keel over.
                I finally found the best fix was even better then duct tape. You can add a Bungee cord to those must have studio tools. It worked better then a counter weight in fact.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0429.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	32417489

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
                  I had the same issues with some boom stands maybe 10 years ago. I relied on using what I had lying around at home for the fix. . . .

. . . I used a heavy clamp like tool used to remove pressed bearings as a counterweight. Chances of me ever removing bearings again is a million to one so it's been repurposed.

Here's another you'll love. My overhead mics are mounted to a small piece of wood. Even though its fairly light, the quality of the mic stand is not very good. (You typically use your non critical, beat up mic stands for drums)

Between the weight of two mics, the holders and the cables the weight caused the stand to bow down and keel over.
                  I finally found the best fix was even better then duct tape. You can add a Bungee cord to those must have studio tools. It worked better then a counter weight in fact.
                  Yeah, found items can work. I could've used a C clamp or pretty much any fairly heavy object. I could've also attached something long and reasonably heavy to the boom with wire ties. The advantage of the cable clamp is that it's designed to be used on something round (like a cable--duh! or a mike boom). I keep a couple of bungee cords in the trunk of my car. You're right that you never know when you're going to need one. If I need one at home the car is right there in the driveway. A bungee cord can't do the same job as a counterweight though: If the stand is unbalanced it will still tip. The first step is figuring out what the actual problem is. After that you can search for the best solution.

Comment

$5 and a trip to the hardware store might be worth it. If you decide to go for it let us know how it works for you.
                    Will do. I need to go to a hardware store, anyway.
                    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                    -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0425.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	32417488

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0429.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	32417489

That IS an interesting idea!

Now about your cable management...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

That IS an interesting idea!

Now about your cable management...
                        Neat cables are the sign of a sick mind.

Yer SPOSETA trip over 'em
                        I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

Neat cables are the sign of a sick mind.

Guilty as charged...

Name:	fetch?id=31139349&d=1398720428.jpg
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	32419364

Yer SPOSETA trip over 'em

It's one thing if *I* trip over them, but if a client does, it's a potential injury and liability... but more importantly, they'd mess up my carefully positioned drum mikes!

- George Carlin

Comment

Guilty as charged...

Name:	fetch?id=31139349&d=1398720428.jpg
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	32419364

It's one thing if *I* trip over them, but if a client does, it's a potential injury and liability... but more importantly, they'd mess up my carefully positioned drum mikes!

Drums are for marching bands

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

Drums are for marching bands
                              There's a similar line in the Buddy Holly Story where a Nashville producer (Owen Bradley) tells him that drums are for parades or something along those lines... of course that didn't go over very well with the band, and is one of the reasons Buddy headed to Clovis to work with Norman Petty.

- George Carlin

Comment

There's a similar line in the Buddy Holly Story where a Nashville producer (Owen Bradley) tells him that drums are for parades or something along those lines... of course that didn't go over very well with the band, and is one of the reasons Buddy headed to Clovis to work with Norman Petty.
                                Ask any purist bluegrasser or folkie

Comment

Working...
                                X