No announcement yet.

Mic boom counterweight

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mic boom counterweight

My Samson C01U mike is heavy enough and the base on my mike stand small enough that it tends to tip. I checked online and found out a proper counterweight would run me $15-20 minimum but I'm cheap. A trip to the local hardware store netted a large cable clamp for a penny over $5 with tax:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	32412449
    All is well and if I need more weight later I can always buy another one.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Simple and practical
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
    -Groucho Marx

Comment

Cool idea!

I assume you have a stand with a round base... if you have one with a tripod base, sandbags and bricks work great too.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I'm using an old textbook..
        Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
        Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
          Cool idea!

I assume you have a stand with a round base... if you have one with a tripod base, sandbags and bricks work great too.
          With a round base, barbell weights work well. Pick 'em up cheap at Goodwill and the like.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

Cool idea!

Yes, it's a round base. I bought the stand used via CraigsList, $15 with the boom. I use it for recording. If I were buying new I'd probably look for something with a tripod base. Lord knows I have plenty of crap lying around to use for dead weight.

Comment

Originally posted by davie View Post
            I'm using an old textbook..
            No need for facepalms. If it works and it's cheap it's a good idea.

Comment

If you're using a boom, one thing that will help is to not extend the boom arm any further than absolutely necessary. For a vocalist you should be able to keep it fairly close to the center pole of the stand, with most of the boom arm extended behind the stand, on the opposite side of the clutch from the singer. Use the center part of the stand to raise the mic to the appropriate height.

The closer you can keep the mic positioned towards the stand's center, the more stable it's going to be... especially when using big, heavy mics.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

If you're using a boom, one thing that will help is to not extend the boom arm any further than absolutely necessary. For a vocalist you should be able to keep it fairly close to the center pole of the stand, with most of the boom arm extended behind the stand, on the opposite side of the clutch from the singer. Use the center part of the stand to raise the mic to the appropriate height.

The closer you can keep the mic positioned towards the stand's center, the more stable it's going to be... especially when using big, heavy mics.
                Thanks. The vocalist I record is me, sitting in a chair playing acoustic guitar in front of a computer desk, one mike to pick up both vocals and guitar. Not ideal but that's how I record and my needs are simple, one mike and Audacity. I just have the stand far enough away to be out of the way and the boom as short as possible, as you noted. Unfortunately, the stand still tips, which is why I needed a counterweight.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                  Unfortunately, the stand still tips, which is why I needed a counterweight.
                  So, how's it working out? Do you think one is sufficient, or are you going to add another one?

- George Carlin

Comment

So, how's it working out? Do you think one is sufficient, or are you going to add another one?
                    I haven't experimented with it much but believe it or not, it's currently tipping slightly in the opposite direction. I need to move the counterweight closer to the center pole (or maybe extend the boom a bit more) until I achieve a balance. But the original problem appears solved, and for cheap too. Yay! If I think of it I'll put it on Mrs. DeepEnds's diet scale and see how much weight we're talking about.
                    Last edited by DeepEnd; 12-10-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

No need for facepalms. If it works and it's cheap it's a good idea.
                      Its actually quite effective. The weight is pretty evenly distributed along one of the stand legs. It's able to stabilize my stand with the boom at a horizontal mounted with an SM7B. I just don't like how it looks and the amount of floor space it takes up. Luckily its just tucked away in the corner of the room, and isn't in the way of anything.
                      Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
                      Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

If I think of it I'll put it on Mrs. DeepEnds's diet scale and see how much weight we're talking about.
                        If you get a chance, please let us know - I'd be curious to know too...

- George Carlin

Comment

Okay, update: I haven't weighed my "counterweight" yet but with the counterweight pretty close to its end of the boom (next to the grip) the stand appears to balance when the boom is connected to the center rod at about the midpoint, with equal lengths of boom on either side. If I ran the boom out much further I'd probably need two counterweights, maybe not as far from the midpoint. One should probably work most of the time.

Originally posted by davie View Post
                          Its actually quite effective. The weight is pretty evenly distributed along one of the stand legs. It's able to stabilize my stand with the boom at a horizontal mounted with an SM7B. I just don't like how it looks and the amount of floor space it takes up. Luckily its just tucked away in the corner of the room, and isn't in the way of anything.
                          Effective is a necessity, pretty is optional. I like pretty as much as the next guy but given a choice between a pretty shovel and one that actually does job I'll take the ugly one. Could be because I'm not exactly "pretty" myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X