Favorite Badly Recorded / Lo Fi Albums?

dahkter

• Members

I'm wrapping up a project that was made with some old four track tapes. Even with all of today's modern technology, it's still a bit on the muddy side. I don't consider this a bad thing, as they are good songs, and some of the albums I grew up enjoying were not so great sonically.

When I think of lofi albums that I enjoy, here's what comes to mind:

Velvet Underground

Clash

Punk Music

mixtapes

dubbed cassettes

old muddy waters / robert johnson / folklore type music

a lot of pre 1950 music

I'm curious if anyone has any of their own recordings of low fidelity that they enjoy listening to.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd go for Velvet Underground!!!! The one with the banana.

Hey man ,..I'm still in the process but I figured out you knew that,..Don't be impatient.

To top it off,.....I got the Best rapper of our country who's doing 16 bars also,..

He's signed but can't wait to work with me on a few tracks.

Booshy

• Members

When I think of lofi albums that I enjoy, here's what comes to mind:

U2 Unforgettable Fire

Um... what? That's a lo-fi recording? I never thought of "Pride" as a poorly-recorded tune in any definition. It's pretty sparkly, if you ask me. I thought Eno and Lanois produced that album brilliantly.

I guess my fav would be "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen. Also, not so much a lo-fi than a "loose" recording that's a favorite of mine would be "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" by Dylan, off Blonde on Blonde.

• Members

FWIW the Clash Sandanista is one of the finest album recordings I have ever heard. Pure gold.

Some Bob Marley recordings are beautiful-but-sketchy.

Good call on Marley/Wailers... I love some of that super lo fi stuff the Wailers were doing before the move to Island. Mind you, I've got a soft spot for the first few Island/Tuff Gong things, too. It isn't until Exodus (1977) that they [or more like it, Marley] started really losing me.

But that early stuff is magical, musically speaking. You can put up with a lot of hiss and scratches for that music, seems to me.

• Members

Does an intentional lofi sound count? In my opinion, using a good studio to create a lofi sound is just a creative decision or just another effect, like using reverb. Its not a limitation imposed on an artist due to lack of access to better equipment or expertise. Its a "lofi" sounding record, but no a real lofi recording.

• Moderators

On older Bollywood songs-the amount of distortion on some of the vocals and the string sections is often appalling, yet somehow charming.

Yeah! A lot of that is overdriving the delay. Whatever that delay is they use, and it does seem to be a universal effect in that genre, it's awesome in its cheesy, dirty goodness. :thu:

• Members

Most of Elvis Costellos stuff stikes me as just a bit challenged sonically.

I love R. Haven's Mixed Bag. The tape hiss on it is terrible.

These days there are numerous releases that have been ruined by over limiting. Foo Fighters and Counting Crows come to mind.

J. Joplin's Cheap Thrills is a favorite but it's a bit choppy production -wise.

Some very early CD re-releses of vintage albums were horribly harsh.

Musta used the first converters ever built.

A Stevie. Wonder disc (forget the name) circa 1985 comes to mind - but there are several ugly ones from that era.

• Members

Early Bright Eyes stuff is pretty lo-fi, proper bedroom recording style with lots of tape hiss and such.

Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska was recorded on a home 4 track, so I guess thats fairly lo-fi, but I think there must have been a fair amount of post-recording work done on it, it sounds pretty clean.

The Trinity Sessions by the Cowboy Junkies was recorded live in a church with one microphone, gives it an awesome haunting sound.

Most of the Black Keys stuff was recorded on fairly lo-fi equipment too.

• Members

So much stuff that I love...

The first two Pavement Albums, Slanted & Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. The latter, to me, sounds wonderful. But it is not hi-fi

How about Magnetic Fields? Some of their stuff sounds just godawful, as if to prove that Stephen Merritt is brilliant under any circumstances...

When Tom Waits aimed for that "Library of Congress Field Recording" sound, well, it's an aesthetic, more than a "fi." But that spacious open roomy sound with distant sounding instruments is very in vogue now, and I think that is not a bad thing. While Rain Dogs is my fav, Bone Machine is the most sonically challenged/challenging, I would say.

Lo-fi is quite often intended as time travel.

• Members

U2

LOL at Russ and Jeff with the ANGER...

Let me explain myself. Compared to Boy/War/Joshua Tree, Unforgettable fire is very very muted. To my ears, it seems they pulled some of those tracks straight from a four track with no noise reduction. I also note that Eno basically neglected the hi hats on the majority of the songs (with the exception of Pride and the title track). When you hear "A Sort of Homecoming" live, it's almost a comletely different song. Same thing with MLK and America on side 2. Same thing with Bad live versus Bad on that album. Plerase note I also had a real {censored}ty cassette copy of it. But the CD was also pretty damn hissy and the tracks are definitely murky compared to anything else in their catalog.

To Hard Truth:

IMO, you can certainly "count" when it's intentional, however most of the time it just isn't the same. How about those vinyl crackle VSTFx? Cool idea, but that absolutely sucks compared to hearing real crackle on a real record. At the end of the day, it's the song that counts, so if they intended it to be lo-fi / muddy/ boxy / sharp / harsh / noisy, I'm cool with it if the track is good.

Come to think of it, my U2 example is a bit overreaching, so if you come back to this post tomorrow and see that I've deleted that line, now you know why:cool:

• Members

See, there's another one. {censored}ing great album, nice and loose, but I don't think of it as "lo-fi" at all.

Maybe we need to define what we mean by "lo-fi".

Okay, maybe it's not lo-fi

But I do think that Andy and Glyn Johns must have been a tad hungover during the sessions ;)

• Members

I don't think of "The Unforgettable Fire" as lo-fi either. It's murky in parts, but seems to be still full, with the vocals still having a lot of top end.

Some stuff:

Bollywood stuff (Kishore Kumar, "Meher Booba" and other stuff from "Sholay", etc. from the 1970s

Gravitar

Velvet Underground

1950s Cuban stuff (Celia Cruz, etc. and some of the gorgeous big band and son stuff)

Early field recordings of Africa and elsewhere - super important and fascinating documented stuff of cultures and music that have since vanished or are not so common anymore

• Members

See, there's another one. {censored}ing great album, nice and loose, but I don't think of it as "lo-fi" at all.

Maybe we need to define what we mean by "lo-fi".

"Exile On Main Street" is almost lo-fi. To me, that's almost there, but not quite. Regardless, I think it sounds great, a great job on recording that really captures the band as they were at the time. Absolutely freakin' amazing stuff.

Archived