What are some good Martin copies? I'm looking for a 000-18 or 000-28 for under 1000$, as close to original spec as possible.

canadah

• Members

24.9 scale is desirable, as is 1-3/4" nut width. Big necks are a huge bonus and possibly a dealbreaker - meaning that I unfortunately can't really deal with a Blueridge...

What are some good Martin copies? Old or new.

Thanks!

• Members

First, welcome to HCAG. Second, you are talking my sort of guitar, but I prefer longer scale ('cause I tune down a lot) but short scale is fine. Do you prefer 12 or 14 fretters, paddle or slot heads? Remember that Martin is not totally consistent in specs for different 000 models, you will find different scales, nut widths, number of frets clear and head designs.

Within your budget you are probably looking at PacRim Martin clones and to me that always brings up BlueRidge, Recording King and maybe a few others. By "big necks" and the rest of that discussion I assume you are talking about profile - do you like the classic vee shape or more modern C or D?

I build a lot of 0, 00, and 000 sized guitars, almost all 12 fretters in a variety of woods and finishes,

IMG_1781_zps62e38a89.jpg

And while I know this doesn't help a lot, you would love the guitar that left my bench yesterday - a 1940 000-28 that was the guys first guitar - he paid a hundred bucks for it. Played hard and put away wet, it was a pretty funky old thing. I did a few things to keep it alive but it still has some significant issues.

Anyway, sorry, I don't have specific models for you but check out Recording King.

Edit to add, if you open your specs to include OM's (long scale, 1-3/4 nut, 14 frets and paddle head) you have lots more options. This sort of became the iconic "fingerstyle guitar" and so lots of people make OM's. The true triple oughts remain a little more esoteric.

• Members

One guitar that comes to mind quick is the Larivee P03, they used to be really inexpensive, but have gone up in price over the past decade. They are within you suggested budget limit I believe.

The scale is smaller though, but the neck width is 1-3/4"

I have been playing a Taylor GS mini here and there.which is kind of cool, made in Mexico, but sounds rather nice.

I choose the mahogany one over the spruce one. I just dug the tone a bit better.

• Members

A discussion over at the "other" acoustic guitar forum

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354577

Martin has just introduced 00 and 000-17's in various configuration - unfortunately above the OP's budget. And IMO unfortunately using the same numbering system as their wonderful 000-17's from the 1930's which were an entirely different guitar (the old ones were very cheap all mahogany guitars and the inspiration for the one in the middle of the picture, the new ones are spruce and probably more what the OP is looking for).

The Martin 000-15's in various configuration can break into that price point but they are all mahogany guitars and the OP specified 000-18 or 28, both which are spruce topped.

I know the new Washburn company is producing some guitars in this size, don't have any experience with them. Of course the old Washburns from the '30's are wonderful guitars - sometimes these appear for reasonable prices. And if you really want to blow the budget, SCGC, H&D, Froggy, Collings and a bunch of other boutique makers are building wonderful 000 sized guitars.

Need a little more info from Canadah, eh?

• Members

yamaha concert series guitars - Google Search

Seems to me there's a world of guitars out there now. These people have a decent product. But, perception is everything. Plus, they utilize their Acoustic Resonance Enhancement process they developed long before the so-called torrefied wood process, curently the last word in solid wood tonal shaping. I know nothing...

• Members

Save a bit, and try to get a 2nd hand post-2012 Martin OM-21. I doubt many people are selling them, though, unless they really need the money. I have one, and if I could only rescue one of my guitars in a fire, that would be the one. The only other make I can think of that would fit your criteria are Seagulls, but they are not Martin clones.

• Members

Surprised nobody else has mentioned Sigma: http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=233. I found three models that might work, the OMR-ST with a list price of $395 (http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=415), the OMM-4 with a list price of $495 (http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=655), and the OMR-21, with a list price of $610 (http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=424). All have solid tops and laminated backs and sides. Unfortunately, while they all have 1 3/4" nuts they also have 25.4" scales since they follow Martin specs.

• Members

Inherent in the definition of a 14 fret 000 is that it is short scale. Inherent in the definition of an OM is that it is long scale. There are a few exceptions to the first definition, there are almost none to the second.

12 fret 000's are a mixed bag, some are long scale, some are short. He seemed pretty adamant that what he wanted was 24.9 but hasn't been back to clarify.

Glenn, I agree that the OM-21 is the hidden jewel, but again, doesn't meet his criteria.

• Members
. . . He seemed pretty adamant that what he wanted was 24.9 but hasn't been back to clarify. . . .

Actually, he said (emphasis added):

24.9 scale is desirable' date='[/b'] as is 1-3/4" nut width. . . .

Short scale and 1 3/4" nut are desirable. Personally, I figure it would be easier to live with a longer scale than a narrower neck, thus my OM recommendations.

As for Blueridge, from what I can make out the models with the "A" suffix have 1 3/4" nuts: (http://www.sagamusic.com/products/show-guitars.aspx?body_typeid=14-Fret%20000&brand=blueridge). The following models have a 1 3/4" nut: BR-43A, MSRP of $795; BR-43AS, MSRP of $795; BR-63A, MSRP of $950; BR-143A, MSRP of $1050; BR-73A, MSRP of $1195. So it's not necessary to disregard Blueridge, just make sure you know what model(s) to check out.

• Members

Glenn, I agree that the OM-21 is the hidden jewel, but again, doesn't meet his criteria.

Yeah, I thought of that after my post. Still, it is an odd combo for a 'Martin clone.' All of the Sigmas I've looked at with 1.75" nuts were 25.5" scale, and all the 000s were 1.68". The only thing I could think of was a Taylor 312, which satisfies the measurement criteria, but is not a 'Martin clone.'

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Any consensus of opinion on them? Decent guitar shop I found in Bangkok has pretty broad range of them. Didn't get to really try out, and didn't want to be tempted (I need another guitar like a hole... somewhere). Chinese made, but if Martin watches quality control, what the heck. Might be good for beach and that

• Members

Honestly, I haven't played a new Sigma, just older used ones. I don't even know who sells them in the St. Louis area, which is odd since they're distributed by St. Louis Music, the folks who brought us Alvarez. Apparently they no longer have any connection to Martin. I guess SLM bought the name.

• Members
Little note regarding Sigma: Seems distributed by AMI' date=' here is history page which seems a bit evasive on the who and what of "now" (don't mention "Martin" connection, just hint at it). I'll have to go back to try a couple out for fun waste of a few hours in sunny Bangkok. http://www.sigma-guitars.com/support/sigma-history/[/quote']

My own search turned up this site: http://www.sigmaguitars.us/. These guitars appear to be distributed by St. Louis Music, at least in the US. No Martin connection mentioned at all.

• Members

No idea. The model numbers are different so they may not have anything to do with one another. If anything, my top of the head guess would be that SLM takes care of the US and AMI does the rest of the world. Your guess is as good as mine.

Archived