Wallace Detroit Guitars from 100 year old reclaimed old growth pine, etc.

u6crash

• Members

Have you see these already?

https://wallacedetroitguitars.com/the-guitars/purchase/

Not a lot of info on the specs. If I had the money to spare I'd really consider one. Seems most of their inventory has been sold.

Also, can someone tell me what's going on with those funky TOM bridges on a couple models? (Middle guitar, top row is one such example) I thought at first maybe it was some sort of weird B-bender unit, but now I'm not sure what to make of it.

• Members

I see those prices and it makes me feel good about my last couple of builds. I been using antique wood that's over 200 years old in some cases. My drummer does antique restorations for a living so he's gotten me some wonderful chunks of wood to build bodies from.

The stuff is really hard to work with too. I burned out my Dremil on the last one cutting pickup holes. The wood was so petrified I had to burn my way through the walnut top and get those holes cut. Mine aren't small chunks of wood though. They are full single chunks of wood, that were shelves in a dresser that didn't need to be book ended. My number one is a semi hollow tele build. Its got a magic tone I've never heard in a guitar before. I was offered a grand in cash but turned it down. He wanted to offer me more but told him not to waste his time. Its a one of a kind build that cant be duplicated, especially since some of the wood came from Europe.

I have a chunk of Purple heart from an antique bedpost I've made into a body. I'm waiting for the full purple color to come up before I finish it. I made it into a Firebird/Jaguar type body with a Tele neck. It should sound pretty interesting when I'm done.

• Members

Those are awful looking guitars. Not a terrible price for a custom built tele, I suppose, but I wouldn't choose this builder. Beyond the gaudy butcher block designs, there's just nothing special. If you're looking for someone who does incredible work with reclaimed wood, check out Creston guitars in VT. Not a ton more money either, if you're looking for a basic design.

• Members

I have a bunch of pics on my other computer I'll post for you. I don't do allot of builds to sell, in fact I've only sold maybe a dozen of them in my lifetime so I don't post many of them here except when I complete one or its relative to the conversation.

I haven't completed any builds in the past year but I have at least a dozen builds hanging in the studio. I used to pop them out all the time but I've been more into playing lately. I have maybe 24 guitars total so its not like I need another.

When I do build one now I try and make them with unique materials and designs that have a specific purpose or need. I try things that feed my curiosity or to make something you cant buy in a store. Its mainly for getting unique recorded tones or playability I can't get anyplace else.

I have one half finished that's been sitting on my workbench for too long now. I have next week off and need to get that sucker finished. I have all the parts for it, Body's cut and sanded, I have the neck pocket routed and all that. I need to route the holes for the pickups and control cavity, finish the body, mounts the hardware, install the electronics and set it up for playing. Except for the finishing the rest is pretty easy.

I'll be taking shots of that one as I finish it up. Its not going to be overly unique, familiar but unusual. I did score an excellent neck for it so its should be and excellent player. I'm going to try a wrap around bridge this tome too so I expect some major sustain.

The only thing I don't make are the necks. I had a choice of converting the garage into a shop or a studio and I love playing more then I do building so I invested tens of thousands into that. I do refret them and all of that but I don't have the tools and workshop to do that kind of work well and the cost of good necks are very cheap so why bust my hump.

Maybe when I retire and I'm over the hill for performing I'll switch to building more, buy some decent power equipment, band saw, sander, drill press etc. It makes building much less torturous. Most of my builds of late are done with simple hand tools and elbow grease. You expend allot more energy trying to get a good build using primitive methods like that and you don't save any money by doing so.

I used to have all the big power tools growing up. My father was an excellent carpenter and had a full workshop. I was drafted into knowing how to use it all at very early age. I must have been 13 years old when I built my first guitar from an acoustic guitar neck and a slap of popular. It was pretty horrid but I did use it at a few gigs just for laughs. I think I did a Pete Townsend with it at some point. Got a good applause out of it.

I did work my way through school in the music business. Besides playing full time I worked in music shops doing guitar and amp repairs, even worked for Kramer a short time doing final setups. Many of those may seem like ideal jobs to people here until you actually do them. You do learn allot but I couldn't raise a family doing that stuff. They were all low pay dead end jobs so I stuck with electronics instead and haven't regretted it.

This is why I only build for my own needs. I don't even do repair work any more. My free time is too valuable to me and most Musicians cant afford the actual cost of the work. The going rate of an electronic technician these days is $150 for the first hour and you pay that whether the repair is completed or not. I do side work I wind up giving the work away for free. This is why I'd rather post here and advise others on how to do the work themselves.

• Members

I have one guitar I made the body out of a butcher block. It sounds excellent in fact. The wood is laminated maple however. Pine is often a softer wood so its sustain and tone are different. It probably wouldn't sound bad, but its still just pine - nothing to get overly excited about.

To me the bodies look like chess boards. Old growth pine is by no means a rare commodity. You can find it in nearly every home build and in old furniture being put out to the curb.

Archived