Let's pretend you were currently looking for a guitar teacher....

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

As I find myself with some time to start doing private lessons again (as a teacher) and it was 2007 the last time I taught..... What would you....as a guitarist (regardless of your current playing level) be looking for in a teacher? What are some qualities that are important to you? And finally, what do you feel an acceptable rate is that you would be willing to pay for a teacher who was meeting all of your musical needs?

• Members

Someone open minded enough to provide what the student wants (rather than what the teacher thinks they should want) but experienced enough to know what's necessary to get there. Helps if they're friendly and nice to be around too.

As for an acceptable rate, I think that depends on too many variables to say, e.g. the economic climate in your catchment area, how well known you are, how skilled you are, how many satisfied customers you have, etc.*

* In my case plugging all those variables into the calculation I come up with 0.02 :)

• Members

First of all welcome back,

I"ve been returning to my roots.and rethinking my path. Before I would look for a teacher I would answer these questions.

[video=youtube;UUF_OCS1agg]

I would look for a teacher who can be realistic in this .

• Members

I guess it depends on what the student wants. Theory/Scales/Lead breaks from songs/chords from songs etc ect.

You'd have to be able to meet all those needs to be able to take on different students.

But how to phrase that in your ad is important so it atracts all the different kinds of students.

Plus you'd have to have spare guitars/amp for the class.

$20/half hour/four lessons a month ($80/mo)

• Members

It'd have to be someone thoroughly versed in Jazz, Classical, Improv, Composition; an amazing player, reader, and genius level mentor and producer of the finest musicians, able to plug into where I'm at and what needs doing. Otherwise I'd rather plug along and discover whatever I discover.

• Members

When I was in High School I got talked into joining the choir. The choir director was the music teacher who must have seen something in me. He convinced me to take his music theory class the following year and was able to see what I needed to be able to become a competent player. I look back on that as a monumental time in my development as a musician.

A few years ago a good friend told me I had to give it back. When I moved out west there was a demand for a music teacher in the community where I live now. I kept hearing my friend's comment in the back of my mind and started teaching.

I do not have a specific agenda but, like my high school music teacher, I try to understand the individual student's objectives, strengths and weaknesses and tailor the lessons accordingly. I have a pretty good handle on the guitar, piano and theory because of my experience as a working musician and I can usually find a way to connect that experience with the student.

In one case, the parents of a former student wanted to get him back into lessons because he was having some substance issues. I asked them if they wanted me to talk to him about the pitfalls of drug use and they said yes as long as it didn't sound like it came from them.

What I would look for in a music teacher is someone like me (that is not meant to be as narcissistic as it sounds) who is willing to take the time to develop a rapport with each individual student and find ways to help them learn how to learn as opposed to simply teaching specific bits.

I charge $25/hr and, unless the student is very young, the lessons are usually one hour per week. I find it is better if I charge $100/mo in advance for a couple of reasons. The student has purchased the time and if they simply don't show up without notice then they have squandered their time not mine. If I get all the money up front at the beginning of each month then I can make a mortgage payment or whatever is required at the time as opposed to pocket change that tends to quickly disappear.

• Members
I asked them if they wanted me to talk to him about the pitfalls of drug use and they said yes as long as it didn't sound like it came from them.

That must have been difficult :)

"Yeah, like it might be a good idea to keep your room tidier, help your mom in the kitchen sometimes, oh and I found these in your drawer....

• Members

I know the worst mistake I made was starting with classical guitar

Teacher wanted all this kind of stuff

[video=youtube_share;4IOGALFlC0s]

40 years on I still can't use a pick. And that is the bottom line, don't start on the wrong road, it is very hard to unlearn formative habits.

After 8 months I took a tape of Focus Sylvia into class and said this is what I want to do, and she said "I can't help you." So I bimbled around with books until I found The Guitar Institute in Acton the early 90's. They knew! They understood! :) I signed up and was on the road Much joy.

Now renamed, this is the place

http://icmp.co.uk/

this is our bit

http://icmp.co.uk/courses/electric-guitar-overview

• Members

I teach at least 8 students a week. Some are into the newer Heavy Metal, some into Shred guitar ( Vai, Malsteen, Satriani, Rhoads, Hammet), some into Blues or Classic Rock.

Each student has specific needs, goals and ambitions on the instrument. One kid is into the seven string guitar, so I get my seven string and instruct him in his style of music, which requires me to listen to his music and I get to learn news stuff too. Some will want to learn how to get melodic with tremolo bar ( Floyd Rose) and go beyond just dive bombing with it. Another student will want to get into two handed tapping or do arpeggios like Yngwie Malmsteen or another will come in wanting to play like Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I love teaching because it keeps me updated and I learn new things.

Personally, I'd like to find a guitar teacher to get me into that Chet Atkins / hybrid picking, just learn something new.

• Members

What I've always wanted in a guitar teacher is someone who can look at what I can do, and see the need to teach me what I'm not doing.

I've had 2 kinds of teachers: 1) The "bring it in on tape while you watch me pick it out and transpose it to paper for you" kind, and then 2) the rigid Classical method teacher where each phase had a mandatory guitar book with a preset graduated training progression. While the 2nd is the best method to become proficient, the first method keeps you encouraged with a bit of instant gratification. Bliss for me would be somewhere in between. I'd like a "here you're good/here you suck" teacher.

But I slog through most of my playing growth on my own and would have a hard time imagining getting more incremental benefit from an instructor that would be worth more than $15 a half hour for me. Others, I'm sure, would be fine with paying $20, like "moms for their kids". What's a twenty once a week, right?

• Members

I'd be looking for skills (teaching, communication, playing) patience, flexibility to teach me what I want to learn, and someone who I feel comfortable with. I feel like prices are market driven, or regional. I pay $25/ half hour for my daughter's lessons, and have paid $35 for drum lessons. I would pay $35 for a really good guitar teacher.

• Members

I guess a teacher that ask some questions first, listens, then tailors a lesson plan for the student. First. Ask a student their intent on playing, what they intend to achieve and where they would like to go with it. Pleasure, expert, playing live? Ask styles or artist they like. I personally like playing music, not scales, but I'm sure there are others that are after certain techniques. I've had a few rigid teachers and I didn't like it, they were mainly jazz style guys but a friend of mine found a really cool blues teacher. Bimbo Walker, from Fresno. That guy would just love to jam, after the hour was up he'd still be jamming and talking guitar. Unfortunately he passed away but he was a great player, teacher and human.

• Members
I think that's cool - you are teaching all that stuff you listed and you are still looking for a teacher for yourself.

I am an eternal student !!!!

Nothing worse, than being stagnant.

I was at a music store and a guy that was playing some serious Funk style guitar, blew me away with what he did. He broke me out of a rut, and passed on his insight on his approach on the guitar ..... that's priceless !!!!

• Members
I guess a teacher that ask some questions first' date=' listens, then tailors a lesson plan for the student. First. Ask a student their intent on playing, what they intend to achieve and where they would like to go with it. Pleasure, expert, playing live? Ask styles or artist they like. I personally like playing music, not scales, but I'm sure there are others that are after certain techniques. I've had a few rigid teachers and I didn't like it, they were mainly jazz style guys but a friend of mine found a really cool blues teacher. Bimbo Walker, from Fresno. That guy would just love to jam, after the hour was up he'd still be jamming and talking guitar. Unfortunately he passed away but he was a great player, teacher and human.[/quote']

Bimbo taught me ,"Castles Made Of Sand", when I was 14 years old. That guy got me on the right track and with out his insight, I would have not taken the instrument seriously.

Last time I seen him, he was at the old Sound Stage by F.C.C.. I grabbed a bass , while he played guitar. We played some Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and some loose little jam. His sister was standing there just listening.

I miss him very much and very very grateful the inspiration and a few tips he gave me years ago as a kid.

• Members

Communication first of all is the key, talent without knowing how to communicate with your students is useful if you plan to make a profession out of it. My first music teacher was from Yamaha, learning within a group certainly helped, I suggest do classes in groups to keep the students attentive and interested.

• Members

Bimbo taught me ,"Castles Made Of Sand", when I was 14 years old. That guy got me on the right track and with out his insight, I would have not taken the instrument seriously.

Last time I seen him, he was at the old Sound Stage by F.C.C.. I grabbed a bass , while he played guitar. We played some Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and some loose little jam. His sister was standing there just listening.

I miss him very much and very very grateful the inspiration and a few tips he gave me years ago as a kid.

Ha, you must have been hangin around the same parts as me during that time. I remember seeing him at the Sound Stage as well, he would hear something playing on the radio and he would just start jamming along. He taught me and a buddy for a little while. I had college and work then, but he was one of the coolest dudes. My buddy was actually WAY better than me. He took music theory from Mike Dana at FCC and actually taught Bimbo a few songs. I was happy when I heard he got the Table Mountain contract and then I heard he passed a few years after that. Thanks for sharing the stories, he was great guy and he is missed.

• Members

For me it is all about theory. The more you know how to play a guitar, the more you can do with it. Of course, the instructor would have to connect with me, like the same music, etc. That is always a challenge, but a true guitar player IMO appreciates all types of music.

Archived