Collapse
No announcement yet.

inspirations

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 13 year old was awed by Kurt Cobain. It's kind of weird that Kurt Cobain would be looked at as any kind of guitar hero because he really wasn't. Great songwriter though...

You might just be getting the point.

Not all n00B guitarists want to be shredders. Some of them simply want to grab a guitar, get up there and tell the world what life looks and feels like to them in something approaching song form.

(Whilst enhancing their sex appeal, of course ...)
    http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

why are people saying **************** like "well for me it was..."

I'm talking about the world, people - it ain't about you!

I am not asking who inspired you. I am not asking who your favorite guitarist is.

I AM asking:

Who do you think has inspired the most people to pick up and learn to play electric guitar?

now twy again - this time, with feewing
      Hey, Cancer! **************** You!

Comment

Dude, the Earth's natural vibrations and the solar system totally inspire people to play music man.
        Shot From Guns
        www.shotfromguns.wordpress.com - New updates!

The Artful Dodger -
        www.soundclick.com/theartfuldodger

"Business acumen, institution building, and shrewd political maneuvering are the only way to protect conscious artistry."

"The more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the solid state crystal lattice. Maybe it just comes down to that." - the wise Alexander Dumble

Comment

'Here's another.

'Here's one more.

'NOW START A BAND.'

None of this 'spend twelve years in the bedroom learning to shred' crap back in MY day.

You started with the basics and learned the rest on the job.

So let's hear it for the PUNX.

if the topic was "which band inspired more people to start a band" I'd have to argue Ramones all day, even above The Beatles, who would be right up there

I'd still guess at least half the people inspired to pick up guitar by The Beatles went acoustic though, and never strayed - just a gut feeling, but I got a big gut

Tezmond - I doubt more than a dozen people said "I'm getting an electric guitar cuz the one dude from Dire Straits with the sweatband on his head plays guitar" - sorry dude, Knopfler is one of the tastiest guitarists around, but I don't think he has the mass appeal to be in the running -- I'm sure he's important to you, but this ain't about you

Comment

if the topic was "which band inspired more people to start a band" I'd have to argue Ramones all day, even above The Beatles, who would be right up there

I'd still guess at least half the people inspired to pick up guitar by The Beatles went acoustic though, and never strayed - just a gut feeling, but I got a big gut

Tezmond - I doubt more than a dozen people said "I'm getting an electric guitar cuz the one dude from Dire Straits with the sweatband on his head plays guitar" - sorry dude, Knopfler is one of the tastiest guitarists around, but I don't think he has the mass appeal to be in the running -- I'm sure he's important to you, but this ain't about you

The reason I stated what I did was because that's what was popular up where I'm from & when I grew up,not the Ramones.There wasn't a big punk following but you bring in a hard rocker and everyone was there. I'd say AC/DC did more inspiring than the Ramones.
            16' Gibson SG Std.
            15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
            OD9 Pro+>1962x>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
            Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
            Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)

Comment

Frank Zappa, Euroboy and Robert Fripp.

Winner of the "You've got to be ****************in kidding me" award.
              Some stuff

Alc's Trower Jam Take

Alc's Santana Jam Take

Comment

you don't remember all the kids at your school having Robert Fripp posters in their lockers?!?!

kinda surprised I haven't seen Frampton yet, though

Comment

When I talk to kids who are just starting out, everyone of them mention SRV as a big influence.

Tab book sales would be one of the best ways to measure this.

If I had to bet who leads in that department it would be Metallica.
                  Some stuff

Alc's Trower Jam Take

Alc's Santana Jam Take

Comment

I dont think there is one difinative answer but The Beatles,the Beach Boys.Jimi Hendrix,Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen have sold millions of guitars
                    R I P Leopardstar

Originally Posted by jjpistols
                    yeah it's funny to watch internet idiots talk **************** knowing they've never accomplished a ****************in thing musically

Comment

When I talk to kids who are just starting out, everyone of them mention SRV as a big influence.

Tab book sales would be one of the best ways to measure this.

If I had to bet who leads in that department it would be Metallica.

I would've guessed most younger people got into SRV after already playing for a bit

Metallica seems a very good choice for the last 15 years, though

Comment

Who was it originally said that Jimi Hendrix sold more Strats -- a model which had become so unfashionable before he arrived that Fender were seriously thinking of discontinuing it -- than all of the company's sales and marketing teams?

I know I've quoted it in the past, but I'd like to know who was first ...
                        http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

really!
                          Seeing zappa play his SG on Baby Snakes was way cool. He does these weird things with his left hand.

Fripp was a shock, seeing as he play sitting down and almost expression-less.

Euroboy plain ROCKS.

I forgot to add Randy Rhoads and Angus Young.
                          Originally Posted by Motorik

If I were a boxer my walk-in music would be 'Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me?"

Originally Posted by vikingrat

America because we have more dead people on Mt Everest and we have Lake Tahoe which the native Asians believed to be the mouth way to hell. Also Blackmore, Malmsteen, Page, Hackett, Howe, Fripp etc were all born in America. Futhurmore the best bands to come out of the British Invasion wre Americans. We also have fat homeless people.

Comment

Who was it originally said that Jimi Hendrix sold more Strats -- a model which had become so unfashionable before he arrived that Fender were seriously thinking of discontinuing it -- than all of the company's sales and marketing teams?

I know I've quoted it in the past, but I'd like to know who was first ...

Probably George Harrison
                            R I P Leopardstar

Originally Posted by jjpistols
                            yeah it's funny to watch internet idiots talk **************** knowing they've never accomplished a ****************in thing musically

Comment

Every single person I know either learned every Metallica, every AC/DC, or every Nirvana, song when first starting, and really only wanted to do that when they first picked up the guitar.

So for the 20-to-32-ish year old generation: Hetfield, Angus, Cobain, with honorable mention to Slash (arguably as high on the list as the rest).

But if you go generations back, it's folks like Ace.... then prob. Page... Clapton... Keef... then probably going back all the way to the birth of rock n roll to Chuck Berry.

There's a lot of variables here - genre (punk was a huge influence on a sheer number of kids picking up guitars as has been mentioned, not to mention the numbers of metal-lovin' guitarist wannabees), generation / age group, geographical location, etc. Definitely going to skew the opinions a lot.

It's a bit too open of a question. But we love those kind of questions here at HCEG, don't we...!

Comment

The Beatles more than anyone.

And there still doing it.

Yes, like it or not, it all goes back to the Beatles. Clapton, Beck, Page, Hendrix - It doesn't matter who you name, they would not have been able to push through anything like they did had the massive revolutionary engine of the Beatles not preceded them. The hugeness of it will never be seen again.

But after the Beatles? I'd say Clapton.

Comment

Working...
                                X