I think my GAS has died :cry:

strtdv

• Members

Anyone else lost their GAS?

I was just about to reply to the "what's your GAS list for 2013" thread, when I realised I actually don't have any GAS!

I think there have been several reasons for this.

Firstly I got a couple of non-guitar instruments in 2012: I bought a 4 string tenor Banjo and an Irish Bouzouki and I was given a Ukulele, and playing these as well as playing guitars has made the whole experience more about playing the instrument rather than just buying things.
I'll be playing something interesting on the bouzouki and I'll then wonder if I can try the same technique or scales on the guitar.

Secondly I'm extremely happy with my gear.
My amps sound as nice as anything I've played, and I've really found my sound in them. I spent a fair bit of money restoring an old 1970's Orange over the past few years, and I've got it exactly how I want it and sounding great, and I've always loved the sound of my Laney Lionheart, I've not found anything that sounds quite like it and I've some nice NOS preamp tubes in it that sound killer and should provide great tone for years to come.
My brother bought a new Marshall JVM410HJS, and while I enjoyed trying it out and found some great sounds in it that my amps couldn't do, I had no real desire to think about buying a new amp.

I'm also really happy with my guitars. I've been fortunate to get some good deals on a couple of guitars, and I have found my "one guitar that I will keep forever" guitar, my '52 American Vintage Hot Rod Telecaster which just sounds and feels just right every time I play it. To be honest if it weren't for the resale being so poor on my American Standard tele, I'd sell it. It doesn't get a huge amount of play since I bought the vintage hot rod.

I can't even think of any pedals I'd seriously consider getting. I've been lucky with getting some good deals on stuff, and also fortunate to have some good friends and family who have bought me nice stuff over the years, and to top it off I'm a bit of a tinkerer, so if a pedal is close but not quite, I might be able to tweak it a little to get it where I want it. I saw a decent price on a used POG 2 recently (one of the few pedals I still have slight GAS for), but my heart just wasn't in it.

Lastly I guess my financial priorities have changed a bit. I'm saving for a deposit on a house, and the best mortgage deals need a 20% deposit over here, so my girlfriend and I are working on having

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
You've discovered the cure. Please share.
I didn't really set out to do it, it's just sort of ended up like that. I guess part of it is that I own some really great gear and if I were to be tempted to buy something it would have to be better than what I have and a good deal too, not an easy combination.
I'm too choosy really I guess. I play custom shop strats and while they're nice, what I have speaks to me or whatever. I don't just buy more guitars because they're nice guitars, they have to be just what I want.

The other issue is getting to be volume issues. My 2 amps are a 4xEL84 and a 2xEL34, and they're loud. I'm not sure yet I'm going to be able to afford a detached house near the city where I work, so it would be silly to get anything more than 5 watts unless I was definitely going to get a detached house..

The only thing that would tempt me is a nice acoustic guitar, probably around the

• Members

my list includes no gear:

-engagement ring
-new car
-remodel bathroom
-central ac
-windows

when i am here during work i get stupid gas for stuff i dont need, then i go home and play what i have and think about how stupid buying anything would be. i love my rig and all my guitars.

• Members

I was ok for a while- the only things I really want are very high end stuff I don't deserve yet.

And then I made the mistake of stopping into a music store over Thanksgiving, playing a couple of acoustics and have the salesman hand me a Martin GPCPA-4. I know it's the bottom of Martin's line and it doesn't seem to get a lot of love when I checked it out, but it just felt right- it's much more comfortable to play than most acoustics and the tone is rich and deep- the other acoustics I keep playing next to it sound thin. Just what I need- new year's GAS, and I already bought myself my birthday present. (4 channel micro helicopter- not quite in the Martin's price range)

GPCPA4_x.jpg

• Members

While I can always cast a wandering eye at a different guitar, I'm kinda in the same place. I need to sell or trade off a few that I really dont need or play much.
This yr I'm focusing on getting my amp situation ironed out. I've been playing a little USA 20w Crate Vintage Club for 15 yrs, and I'm kinda tired off it. Got a little Mustang practice amp about a yr ago, but that hasnt cured my big amp gas. I have this old Bassman SF head that Im gonna get fixed up and get a one 15 cab for. Think maybe that just might satisfy my hunger for something bigger and vintage.

• Members

Well at your age I also owned two Fender Tele's and an acoustic and being the best player I could be was my top priority, I also got married the next year.After getting settled down, having two sons, and being in my mid 30's did my first heavy GAS attack come! Now at 51 my last big GAS binge was 3 or 4 years ago and there may be 2 or 3 guitars I would like to add before I kick the bucket but am in no rush. It seems you have a good head on your shoulders and enjoy what you have, by your mid to late 30's when the financial pressures ease up enjoy your next binge lol.

• Members

I more or less don't have GAS at this point. I'm content with what I've got, and the next thing on my list is a very nice head/cab setup, which I don't expect for some time. I just played through an Engl Savage 120... Something like that love.gif But it's not a big deal. Pretty much GAS free.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
Well, you have good gear and by the sounds of it, a life. No need to have what you don't need. I have all I need, but not much of a life (lol), so I intermittently buy gear to confirm I still exist.

Good luck with the house!
Jeesh it's gotta be a lot easier for you guys across the pond, try livin over here where it seems like every week there's another blow-out sale. I honestly don't know how I was able to resist all the Gibson deals comin down the pike. I've barely been playin due to carpal tunnel and the added responsibility of a layed-up spouse (hip surgery) and yet I've been jonesin hard for a new toy.rolleyes.gif

• Members

I only have GAS for a 335, some pedals and maybe a EL34/84 or a KT88 amp.

Besides the pedals, none are really needed. The pedals are kind of because I'm playing music for a living (sort of).

I'm graduating college this year and would like to take the (hot) girlfriend of xrleroyx off to europe, and buy a ring for her either this year or next. Any HCEG'ers in europe - let's jam at some point/be awesome enough to let us pass out on your couch.

Congrats though man. You seem to have your {censored} together.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock! View Post
it's hibernating. don't worry, it'll be back.
That's where I'm at too.

I keep hoping I can hand my User Name down to the next generation, but something always comes along. Something new, some new configuration, or something I've lusted for that's now at an irresistible price.

But for now "ssshhh, it's sleeping" wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by strtdv View Post
Now when I'm actually earning good money I'm just not that excited by the prospect of buying gear any more...
this is the answer

when you know you can, you often dont want to.

applies to lots of things in life.

plus immediate priorities change.

• Members

I'm about to step off the GAS for a bit. I've got some cash in the bank ready to spend on a nice acoustic - the last piece of the puzzle for me.

Or so I think... I suppose I might need an AER amp to go with it.... NO NO NO!

I'm always going to have dream GAS - I'd love the band to hit the big time and end up needing a couple of 100W amps and stacks of cabinets. But probably not in 2013... although an extra 1x12 would be nice to beef up the sound... NO NO NO NO!

...and who doesn't want to build a partscaster Tele? I don't really have a reliable 'beater' electric at the moment... ARRRRRGH!

Archived