What Strat would you get?

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I put a Warmoth 24 3/4" scale conversion neck on my strat so it would be the same scale as a Gibson. So with that in mind I would need to get a Warmoth Strat with the conversion neck and some Tronical tuners. I would also go for the same humbuckers that are in my SG- I think they are 490 and 498?

• Members

Beyer160 wrote:

I'd find a nice, preowned American Standard. Maybe replace the pickups, maybe not. Spend the rest on booze.

+1 Honestly just check craig's list or Reverb.com you can find a perfectly good strat for as low as $700 some times cheaper. Then you'll have extra money to customize it however you please if you are not satisfied.

But if you're going for any strat-style guitar, I would suggest you check out a G&L Comanche or Legacy. If you want the looks of a fender strat they still look at about the same, and Leo Fender himself said they were the best instruments he had ever made (who knows maybe it was just for an advertisement)

• Members

I'm into vintage specs myself, more particularly 60s style specs...So if I had 1K to spend I'd either look for a '62 AV strat, or maybe even a Vintage Hot Rod strat. 

That, or I'd save myself a couple hundreds and go with a mij reissue.

Or, if I could manage to find a used fender classic 'lacquer' strat...I'd be happy to pay a little more than what a regular Classic series strat costs for the tweed case alone. 

• Members

Used American standard, or maybe an older deluxe if you can find one at a good price.  Depending on type of music you are intending to play maybe make it an HSS model.

I just think the MIA models feel better, are more resonant, etc. than MIM ones, and you probably won't need to upgrade pickups. 

• Members

I have that silverburst strat plus MELX !!! Neener neener! Looks bettr with blk pg fralins now has sev neck lurv the sperzels, i got my strat plia for 400 tho then upgraded modded as per usual, its on par with a 5k master built cs strat i played ive got 1k in it now also has graphtech saddles this is my face strat breidge as well!!

• Members

the powerhouse one with the acoustic bridge pickup, in black or white... maybe sub a p90 in the bridge position

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

You've got a budget of about $1,000 - maybe a couple hundred more, so yes, there's
some
wiggle room on the price. Which Strat (yes, it must be a Strat) would you buy, and why?

ps- great job with the forum phil

• Members

Is it not possible to audition the guitar first?  My suggestion might sound dumb but I feel that Strats are individual animals, and I'd try out every one that didn't have an immediate 'no' attached to it, whether price, f/b radius, whatever.  I have a MIM 50's RI that's remarkable, and a US Standard that's kind of 'meh,' and another US Standard that I adore. The Eric Johnson Strats are indeed fantasmic.

Who is it for?  Is it for the studio/general use?

Archived