Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same reason I'm happy with my iphone 4 even though I'm eligible for an upgrade. Not enough of a difference between the 4 and the 4s to justify not being able to get the 5 when it comes out.
    lots of gear and not a computer in sight.

Comment

We won't know until we get some "field testing." To me, the question is whether its increased processing power (and possibly increased memory) may increase its polyphony on some music apps, or allow you to work with larger sampled instruments, that kind of thing.

Supposedly, the CPU power was not increased, only the GPU. The CPU is pretty much the same dual-core CPU as in the iPad 2. The GPU's core count was doubled from dual to quad:
      http://gizmodo.com/5891159/inside-apples-a5x-chipset-dual+core-cpu-quad+core-graphics

Time will only tell if music app developers will invest the time to take advantage of the double the GPU power.

Comment

I bought an original iPad when it came out... skipped the iPad 2. I will get a New iPad next Friday when they come out, and let my wife exclusively use the "old" one. She only uses it to read books and play some lightweight games.

I watch a lot of movies and TV on my iPad, so the retina display will be exceptionally cool. I also play a lot of graphically intensive games on it. I can't wait to get the New iPad!
        -------------------------------
        Michael
        Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
        27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
        http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

I bought an original iPad when it came out... skipped the iPad 2. I will get a New iPad next Friday when they come out, and let my wife exclusively use the "old" one. She only uses it to read books and play some lightweight games.

I watch a lot of movies and TV on my iPad, so the retina display will be exceptionally cool. I also play a lot of graphically intensive games on it. I can't wait to get the New iPad!

Don't let your wife see the new iPad - she might end up "stealing" it for her book reading.

Comment

PLEASE POST SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE APPS HERE!

A few of my favs - Sunrizer Synth / Animoog / Korg iMS-20 / Korg iElectribe / Notion /

The main reason I'm tempted to get an iPad (either the iPad 2 for the $100 discount or the new one) is the app selection. Animoog is fun to play on my iPhone and could benefit from the iPad's greater screen space. The iPad apps that intrigue me include iMS-20, TC-11, and Lemur.

TC-11

Lemur (controlller/sequencer/script runner app)

Comment

I have had iPad 1 since it was announced. Indispensable to my business. It goes everywhere and no laptop could replace it.

Teh girlfriend ordered iPad 3 last nite and got the free financing.
              I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

I want this:
                I am wanting, I am thinking
                To arise and go forth singing,
                Sing my songs and say my sayings,
                Hymns ancestral harmonizing,
                Lore of kindred lyricking.
                In my mouth the words are melting;
                Utterances overflowing
                To my tongue are hurrying,
                Even against my teeth they burst.

Comment

Wow TC-11 looks awesome.

Comment

ipad3 is good buy. but if ipad2 is $150 cheaper, i'd feel better buying ipad2

Comment

golly, what's that make Halliburton?

Satan Manifest.
                      SPAM - Korg Poly-800 w/ Moog Slayer mod $250 shipped CONUS
                      Spunkytoofers Rabbit Hole (circuitbent PS-2) $300 shipped CONUS
                      E-Mu Ultraproteus, power cord, good shape (minor rack wear) $225 + shipping
                      Roland S-10 sampler, power cord, manual, and disks, great shape $100 + shipping (I just don't have room for it)

Comment

One aspect that might be relevant for musicians is that the "new iPad" now supposedly has more RAM than the iPad 2 (512MB vs 1GB). So, while the power of the main CPU has not increased too much (I don't believe the new quad-core GPU will have all that much of an effect for music apps), the overall experience running apps that use a lot of memory might be significantly improved.

If I didn't already have an iPad 2, I would surely spring for the new one.

I wonder how long we'd need to wait for a full-fledged VST/AU player for iOS?

Comment

There has been some talk about harnessing GPU to do general processing, but its a lot of work so if that was about to happen in mobile devices, I think we would have heard about it already. New iPads GPU seems to be really powerful though, and it might open many doors for us if it happened.

Of course, theres the cameras DSP. I'm not sure how jealously the camera is keeping its eye on it, but if it was programmable, it might also be surprisingly effective in musical applications(Nokias phones have used similar DSP than many hardware synths).
                          I am wanting, I am thinking
                          To arise and go forth singing,
                          Sing my songs and say my sayings,
                          Hymns ancestral harmonizing,
                          Lore of kindred lyricking.
                          In my mouth the words are melting;
                          Utterances overflowing
                          To my tongue are hurrying,
                          Even against my teeth they burst.

Comment

Orphion also looks interesting. Impressive simulation of velocity sensitivity... I think its done by mapping finger surface area to "velocity":

Comment

Storage still tops out at 64 gB. They never say how much memory the things have, but I believe the original iPad had 256k and the iPad 2 has 512k, and the relatively small memory is one of the things that can create limitations for some kinds of music apps. I'll be curious to learn if there's more in the new model.

512K is a very small amount of memory, yes. But then again Notator and Cubase ran happily on the Atari ST, so clearly it is possible to do something with it.

Comment

At $499, the iPad is staggering in terms of its value. I remember spending that much just for a 15" VGA CRT monitor. Or to add 4 MBs of RAM to my 486 box running Windows 3.11.

The iPad manages to combine hardware and software to produce something that is both a technological wonder and a piece of art. And the advertising campaigns around these things are brilliant.

Ten, fifteen years ago, who would have guessed that in 2012 Apple would have the entire tech industry trying to play catch up, and that Apple would be the most valuable company in the world? Not me.

These things are cool, and do a zillion different things. Arguably the most amazing gadget invented in my lifetime, IMHO.
                                -------------------------------
                                Michael
                                Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
                                27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
                                http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

Working...
                                X