NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

• Members

Seems to be the designer's fault for renderng pages as a .png in the first place really.

except that, until the new iPad, that was a perfectly sensible way to go, in terms of the two goals of maintaining fidelity to the original and keeping file size down, so I don't really "fault" them for their decision to go that way, it made sense at the time. But technology changes... and algorithms that adapt older stuff to work well on newer stuff rarely work perfectly.

At any rate, it does not seem to be something you would call a "flaw" in the new iPad, it's just progress that app makers will have to adjust to. It kind of reminds me about how a lot of standard definition stuff would actually look worse on an HDTV than it did on old analog sets. The price of progress... but eventually, stuff does look better than ever. Usually. ;-)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I unerstand 4G is utter bullcrap in most instances, idk? I only have a 3G phone

Well, the situation in Australia is specific to a carrier there... Apple's 4G iPad is not compatible with that carrier's 4G network, and that was not being made clear to buyers.

The U.S. has its own issues. Not everything marketed as 4G is equal, and on the iPhone, a service that was previously showing as 3G is now showing as 4G (it's kind of "in between")... see

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/4g-iphone-att_n_1333431.html

On the new iPad, 4G is unquestionably 4G, if you are indeed within a proper reception area. Alas, I am not...

• Members

except that, until the new iPad, that was a perfectly sensible way to go, in terms of the two goals of maintaining fidelity to the original and keeping file size down, so I don't really "fault" them for their decision to go that way, it made sense at the time. But technology changes... and algorithms that adapt older stuff to work well on newer stuff rarely work perfectly.

At any rate, it does not seem to be something you would call a "flaw" in the new iPad, it's just progress that app makers will have to adjust to. It kind of reminds me about how a lot of standard definition stuff would actually look worse on an HDTV than it did on old analog sets. The price of progress... but eventually, stuff does look better than ever. Usually. ;-)

I'd go with html and CSS really.

This is true its not a flaw with the iPad.

• Members

The U.S. has its own issues. Not everything marketed as 4G is equal, and on the iPhone, a service that was previously showing as 3G is now showing as 4G (it's kind of "in between")... see

That's what I'm talking about. It's not limited to iPhone and AT&T I don't think.

Archived