NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The new one is thicker than the previous model. 8 1/2" x 11" is small laptop size and I seem to remember Microsoft experimenting with tablets in that size range and them never doing very well. The iPad is a nice size where you can use it while standing and walking, or read on it in public.

• Members

What you need is a half-dozen 8X11 iPads all Scotch taped together at the edges so that you can lay the whole song out on your piano.

:facepalm: Brilliant!! . . . See? A musician's mind at work . . . Hmmm . . . I guess that's why we get paid the big bucks . . .

• Members

So I have had an iPad One from the first day they came out, and have just spent several hours playing with the "New iPad."

The display on the first two iPads is very, very good. The display on the New iPad is very, very, very, very good. It is hard to imagine how anyone will ever invent a display that is better, unless it has some kind of matte finish without the glare that you get with the glass iPad screens.

With most web pages and apps, the difference, however, is almost imperceptible. My wife can hardly tell the difference when putting the two side-by-side. You really have to look closely.

HD movies that look excellent on the original iPad look spectacular on the New iPad. Ditto for high-res photographs. Ditto for high-res apps (especially games) that make use of the retina display.

The New iPad gives me a camera, although since I have an iPhone 4S I don't know how much use it will get. The iPad screen certainly provides the world's largest viewfinder.

Is it worth it to pay the extra $100 for the New iPad? Yes - long term, as more and more apps are designed for it, the graphics will be worth it. However, if you want to bring some HD movies on that long plane ride (at ~4 GB each), then you really want the 32 or 64.

Personally, I skipped the 4G since there is Wi-Fi almost everywhere these days, and I use my iPhone 4S when on the go (traffic maps, directions, Yelp, Around Me, currency converters, foreign language apps, etc.). And I already have WAAAAY tooo many ongoing monthly subscription and media-related costs.

• Members

The Great Depression - people lined up for hours to get food.

Today's Great Recession - people line up for hours to get the new iPad.

lol, very good point. Never thought of it that way.

Reminds me of "Black Friday" here, where people sometimes even setup tents and camp for days in front of stores waiting for the doors to open, storm the place to hunt down playstations and what have you. When you observe such a scene from afar [at the 00:18mn mark for example], you'd think they're very poor people, starving and waiting for the food trucks to arrive and feed them, whereas they actually have money to spend... on everything but food.

So you're right about the "Great Recession". It's anything *but*.

[video=youtube;Dya7E-fg79k]

Archived