NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

• Members

Can an iPad be used as DAW? Do they have enough processing power and RAM for audio recording purposes?

I never owned one but I processed 12 iPads II at work today [purchased by the school district for ESL teachers] and I didn't see any type of connectivity other than a USB port when I quickly looked at one of them.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

pumpkin, for what purpose though

I'm gonna be using Garageband, Korg Electribe, Beatmaker, Sequencer, etc to make electronica. I'll probably get a few games and sketch pad/finger art type apps. and I'll be using Safari, e-mail, text, video chat etc, so probably using it a lot and reserving my 2007 Macbook for Microsoft Office only. Don't know how much longer it'll last considering the memory is almost full and I've dropped it a couple times.

• Members

If you're using it as your portable MP3 music player (and have a large song library, as I assume most people on this forum would), or if want to keep lots of movies on it, than more storage makes sense. Other than that, I think 16 gB is almost always enough.

• Members

If you're using it as your portable MP3 music player (and have a large song library, as I assume most people on this forum would), or if want to keep lots of movies on it, than more storage makes sense. Other than that, I think 16 gB is almost always enough.

I have been thinking that I may go up to 32 GB on my next iPad.

I have downloaded a few really cool games that have turned out to be about 1 GB each.

Also, I've started running out of room when I go on vacation and want to load 3 - 4 movies on the iPad, along with everything else I have on there. And these are standard def films - I imagine I will be downloading HD versions to watch movies on the retina display. (For those who don't have iPads, a two-hour standard def movie might be more than 1.5 GB, while the HD version can approach 4 GB. These are films rented from iTunes.)

So four HD movies alone can require 16 GB. If you don't want to load films on the iPad then 16 GB is probably okay for most people. Me, I typically vacation overseas (long plane rides) and also travel a lot on business. I think I watch more films and TV via iTunes than I do on "regular" TV.

• Members

Awesome stuff.

According to the iPad II specs, RAM is only 512MB, CPU is a dual-core 1 GHz and storage is only 16GB. Who would it as a digital audio workstation to produce music? You have got to be dependent on another, much more powerful computer, at least to transfer audio files [or more like MIDI files], do heavy audio multi-tracking, etc. To draft musical ideas though, I'm sure it's a very good tool [i.e, when you're on the go, plane, train, or when you don't want to turn on your entire studio to record something you just imagined, etc]

The only interesting thing I see in it is the touch-screen feature. If that was available on "actual" computer monitors [laptops, or even desktops], no iPad is a match.

I understand the portability aspect though. A standard laptop is like 3 times thicker, 2 times bigger and 10 times heavier. But for music production using hardware synthesizers?

• Members

According to the iPad II specs, RAM is only 512MB, CPU is a dual-core 1 GHz and storage is only 16GB. Who would it as a digital audio workstation to produce music?

Want that perfect mix but have to be in two places at once, especially when recording live using a DAW? One thing that I love is that you can use the Ipad as a remote desktop and control / edit music from various room locations! I have tried this with my wife's Ipad 2 and Sonar X1 PE! Amazing! So I took the plunge and pre-ordered the new Ipad 64 Gig 4G! Woo Hoo! :thu:

• Members

I can do it with a few apps, but the best is iBend Pro which is pretty much a dedicated app for that sort of thing. Amazing, as the app was under a buck in price.

Ah. I knew about iBend for pitch. I wasn't sure about how the Pro version worked, the demo video did not seem to show an easy way to essentially duplicate the two controls of mod wheel and pitch bend. I guess it's x-axis and y-axis, so it is closer to duplicating a joystick than it is to duplicating a pair of wheels?

• Members

If the rumors are correct, I'll be buying a 7.85" iPad in quarter three. iPad is too big.

I'd have to see a 7.85... but I used to think I'd prefer something more Kindle sized for my on stage song notes, until I actually checked it out... the iPad screen size is much more useful. The Satechi R1 stand is great for allowing to to fit the iPad on a keyboard that doesn't actually have enough space for an iPad. It's a small mount you can velcro to your keyboard that takes very little space, and it hold the iPad nicely.

• Members

Does anyone make a straight MIDI sequencer for iPad? Something like a software MC-80 or QY-700 would be easy, power wise, and would be great with hardware keyboards, basically eliminating the need for workstations for many uses.

I'd suggest that you check out Garageband. But that, alone, won't let you control an external board. For that you'll need to look into an interface of some sort.

Here's from the linked review:

GarageBand shows why music software is qualitatively *better* on the iPad: multitouch interface, no keyboard to get in the way, fantastic portability. That being said, it also has some annoying limitations: like its desktop brother, you cannot use it as a MIDI sequencer. Pasting audio *into* GarageBand allows you to use other iPad instruments to some extent, but transferring audio *out* of GarageBand into other DAWs is harder. One limitation which is not GarageBand's fault is that the iPad will discharge while you play GarageBand using a USB MIDI keyboard connected with Apple's Camera Connection Kit. However, powered MIDI interfaces such as the iRig MIDI and Alesis IO Dock can charge the iPad while you play, so the jams never have to stop!

• Members

I'll buy an ipad or equivalent when the display is the same size as a standard sheet of paper - that's 8.5X11 for the last 100 years or so - in case not a single mfr in the industry has figured that out yet.

• Members

Why is this important?

I find that the small size of the screen is a limitation for certain uses, such as drawing. One or two more diagonal inches would make a huge difference for certain applications, especially in music.

I also wish they would get over the preoccupation with making each succeeding model thinner than the last. I'd actually like one that's a little *thicker*, with a battery that will run for 25 hours, 128gb of storage, and a better camera.

Archived