NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Great Depression - people lined up for hours to get food.

Today's Great Recession - people line up for hours to get the new iPad.

Well, in November of 2007 I was laid off from the company where I'd worked for 18 years.

I subsequently sent out hundreds of resumes to no avail.

By 2009, my net worth had received a 50% haircut due to the falling stock market, crashing real estate market, and plenty of other things.

In November of 2009, after two years, I finally landed a full-time job making 1/3 of what I used to earn.

It was a rough few years, but others have had it MUCH harder than I.

I have since landed another, better job, and the stock market has rebounded nicely.

So I stood in line to get a new iPad. These are happier times for my family, but I know others who are still struggling day-to-day.

This never was another Great Depression (thanks, largely, to the bailouts that so many like to chastise Mr. Obama for today). But it was a bad recession, and there are lots of people who are still in it.

• Members

I own both. The 2 is going up for sale after squaretrade repairs the crack I put in it. You really gotta run the side by side to see the difference, but as one person pointed out, the price difference is minor, get the new one. If you have a 2 already...meh...

What I think is going to happen is the newer batch of apps are going to take advantage of the new horsepower, then you will want to upgrade, for now, no biggy I love mine, have had one since version 1, and wanted the new screen, the camera and the extra horsepower, plus I went up to the 64. I was bumping up against the 32 space with videos and photos.

• Members

Well, in November of 2007 I was laid off from the company where I'd worked for 18 years.

I subsequently sent out hundreds of resumes to no avail.

By 2009, my net worth had received a 50% haircut due to the falling stock market, crashing real estate market, and plenty of other things.

In November of 2009, after two years, I finally landed a full-time job making 1/3 of what I used to earn.

It was a rough few years, but others have had it MUCH harder than I.

I have since landed another, better job, and the stock market has rebounded nicely.

So I stood in line to get a new iPad. These are happier times for my family, but I know others who are still struggling day-to-day.

This never was another Great Depression (thanks, largely, to the bailouts that so many like to chastise Mr. Obama for today). But it was a bad recession, and there are lots of people who are still in it.

Good post. thumbsup.gif

• Members

I did it. I bought iPad3. Haven't played with it much yet but looking forward to integrating with my DAW and using the full-size versions of Animoog and the other sweet iPad music apps.

Any reports of fit or other issues using iPad3 with Alesis IO Dock?

• Members

I read an interesting article about how websites will not look too good on the iPad3, since photos are not a high enough resolution, and the iPad3's retina display is too good. Most companies will not invest the extra money, storage space, and time to upgrade their websites to take advantage of the new display.

• Members

I read an interesting article about how websites will not look too good on the iPad3, since photos are not a high enough resolution, and the iPad3's retina display is too good. Most companies will not invest the extra money, storage space, and time to upgrade their websites to take advantage of the new display.

Will not look too good? Or will not look that as much better than an iPad2 as it could? Very different scenarios...

Text should look better. I would expect graphics to look at least the same, not worse, no?

I actually would not want web sites filled with higher resolution graphics. All that does is slow the download time and use up your not-unlimited data plan more quickly, so I certainly hope sites don't upgrade images for the Retina display! The advantage of the Retina should be in sharper rendered text, and also in better images (photos, movies) when displayed off local storage. I do not want my net access clogged with better looking ads. ;-)

• Members

I read an interesting article about how websites will not look too good on the iPad3, since photos are not a high enough resolution, and the iPad3's retina display is too good.

I have not noticed this at all, at least with the sites I frequent.

• Members

FYI, my only complaint about the New iPad is the charging time. I have not compared it to my 1st gen unit, but the new one definitely seems to take a LONG time to charge. When connected to my laptop, for example, it seems as though charging for about an hour gives me another 5% on the battery. It takes about two hours to go from 52% to 62%, for example. I should see if it charges more quickly when connected directly to an AC outlet.

• Members

FYI, my only complaint about the New iPad is the charging time. I have not compared it to my 1st gen unit, but the new one definitely seems to take a LONG time to charge. When connected to my laptop, for example, it seems as though charging for about an hour gives me another 5% on the battery. It takes about two hours to go from 52% to 62%, for example. I should see if it charges more quickly when connected directly to an AC outlet.

I think you'll notice a difference if you use the AC adapter to charge it. I can't speak for the iPad 3, but my iPad 2 will not fully charge via USB, and it tells me as much. I have to use the AC charger. It finishes in about two hours.

• Members

I've also read that, compared to previous models, there is a much bigger difference in charging time if you are attempting to charge while you are using it, especially if you are using it for processor-intensive work (I suppose playing an HD movie would be an example). But if you are charging from AC, with the iPad itself sleeping or off, charging times should not be much more of an issue. You do have to factor in that the battery has bigger capacity (in order to keep the more power-hungry unit capable of comparably long battery life), and it will naturally take longer to charge a bigger battery than a smaller one.

• Members

Will not look too good? Or will not look that as much better than an iPad2 as it could? Very different scenarios...

Text should look better. I would expect graphics to look at least the same, not worse, no?

I actually would not want web sites filled with higher resolution graphics. All that does is slow the download time and use up your not-unlimited data plan more quickly, so I certainly hope sites don't upgrade images for the Retina display! The advantage of the Retina should be in sharper rendered text, and also in better images (photos, movies) when displayed off local storage. I do not want my net access clogged with better looking ads. ;-)

No, strictly the photographs on websites, which are typically 72 dpi or similarly low-res.

I can't find the article, but I did find this, which anyone who bought the 4G version should read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/new-ipad-users-slowed-by-expensive-4g-network-rates/2012/03/22/gIQARLXYUS_story.html

$7 in data usage to watch a YouTube clip is not encouraging.

• Members

$7 in data usage to watch a YouTube clip is not encouraging.

That reinforces my point. Web sites should be engineered to be lean. I'll download HD videos and images at home on wifi and watch them "offline," but when I'm browsing and seeing images or running video right off the web, I want low res to keep speed up and data consumption down. That user must have opted to watch that youtube video in HD, a dumb thing to do on a capped and expensive data plan.

• Members

Feed back on the ''overheating'' rumor from new users appreciated...

Seems alot of stuff on the net about it...

Sometimes one corner of the back of the New iPad gets a little warm, when watching movies or playing graphic-intensive games. And I mean a little warm, not really warm, or anything close to hot, or anything remotely comparable to the heat a laptop can put out. In dozens of hours of use I've never witnessed anything to indicate overheating.

I think this little warm spot on the back is being noticed because the prior models never seem to get warm, ever.

• Members

Sometimes one corner of the back of the New iPad gets a little warm, when watching movies or playing graphic-intensive games. And I mean a little warm, not really warm, or anything close to hot, or anything remotely comparable to the heat a laptop can put out. In dozens of hours of use I've never witnessed anything to indicate overheating.

I think this little warm spot on the back is being noticed because the prior models never seem to get warm, ever.

Thanks... great news...

• Members

A couple of weeks ago I sold my iPad2 64/3g with dock and Otterbox because I wanted to upgrade.

The reason I sold my dock was because I didnt think the new ipad would fit.

I'm still not sure if it will but if I have to guess, I would say yes.

Now, is the new iPad nice? Yes, but if I could go back in time and reverse the sale of my old one, I would never have sold it, not for this upgrade anyway.

• Members

A couple of weeks ago I sold my iPad2 64/3g with dock and Otterbox because I wanted to upgrade.

The reason I sold my dock was because I didnt think the new ipad would fit.

I'm still not sure if it will but if I have to guess, I would say yes.

Now, is the new iPad nice? Yes,
but if I could go back in time
and reverse the sale of my old one, I would never have sold it, not for this upgrade anyway.

If I could go back in time, it would be to when Apple stock was $6. Not that long ago, either!

• Members

No, strictly the photographs on websites, which are typically 72 dpi or similarly low-res.

I can't find the article

Maybe this or one like it:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/tech/gaming-gadgets/ipad-magazine-display/index.html

It seems to be more the magazines than web sites that are affected, but it is an interesting issue to be aware of...

(also, interesting that the issue described in the article is affecting text more than graphics... though I think it's because, in those cases, the text is being rendered as graphics...)

Archived