NEW IPAD 3 - Worth buying it or getting a discount on an IPAD 2?

• Members

I bought an iPAd2 about a year or so ago, mainly to put all my music on and save me carrying a load of heavy books around. I love it for that and I've got a couple of music apps and some other stuff on there as well but in general I still use my desktop pc for most stuff since I have a 23 inch LCD screen which means my old eye can actually SEE whats on the screen! The only real disappointment with the iPad 2 was the forward facing camera which is pretty low resolution but since I rarely use it for video anyway it does not matter that much to me.

If I were still in the market for an iPad I'd get the 3 but I'm not going to spend another seven hundred bucks or so to upgrade, even if I could sell the old one to offset some of that, just not worth it to me as the 2 is fine.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't see any interesting features or applications for musician.

Other than GarageBand (and this morning's GB update), when has Apple ever touted musician-related features? Any music-related features are APIs that software developers pay close attention to, and they don't get a lot of consumer attention. Like how the camera kit conveniently allows one to use pretty much any USB audio and/or MIDI device with the iPad (as long as it doesn't attempt to pull power from the USB bus).

Retina is vain battery, money and processing power waster.

Still ten hours of battery life.

Ordered mine this morning. Arriving on the 16th.

• Members

I have a version 1 and won't upgrade until it dies or becomes unusable with my current apps. I am not nearly as excited about it for music apps as I was at first, and I almost never play games on it anymore either. I use it mostly for web, youtube, soundcloud, and notetaker hd. I do just about all of my hand calculations, diagrams, etc. using notetaker. Being able to work on a math problem and listen to music on one tablet is really nice.

Lately as my diagrams and notes have become more complex, I have had some crashes while listening to music,especially streaming via soundcloud. I am not sure if that is memory related or bugs in the apps.

I took a marketing survey from Intel last week, which I think they sent because I use their compilers and math kernel library. It covered all sorts of questions related to software development and hardware. One of the only "write-in" questions concerned what would convince me to use an "Ultrabook" (professionally). My answer was that it would have to replace both my engineering laptop and my iPad and allow seemless transition from both in terms of the software into one unit - not gonna happen In the near future I think.

• Members

I think that was smart of Apple. Just some incremental change, and not a major upgrade, so those with a 2 won't feel slighted. The diff in price is small enough that if didn't already have one, you'd probably opt for the 3.

I have thought this too. I was not too happy about the retina, but then again, I have been longing for the mobile tech to slow down at least so much that software developers have time to make apps before next platform arrives. This might be a good way to increase its install base without fracturing the market too much.

• Members

We won't know until we get some "field testing." To me, the question is whether its increased processing power (and possibly increased memory) may increase its polyphony on some music apps, or allow you to work with larger sampled instruments, that kind of thing.

Supposedly, the CPU power was not increased, only the GPU. The CPU is pretty much the same dual-core CPU as in the iPad 2. The GPU's core count was doubled from dual to quad:

http://gizmodo.com/5891159/inside-apples-a5x-chipset-dual+core-cpu-quad+core-graphics

Time will only tell if music app developers will invest the time to take advantage of the double the GPU power.

• Members

I bought an original iPad when it came out... skipped the iPad 2. I will get a New iPad next Friday when they come out, and let my wife exclusively use the "old" one. She only uses it to read books and play some lightweight games.

I watch a lot of movies and TV on my iPad, so the retina display will be exceptionally cool. I also play a lot of graphically intensive games on it. I can't wait to get the New iPad!

• Members

I bought an original iPad when it came out... skipped the iPad 2. I will get a New iPad next Friday when they come out, and let my wife exclusively use the "old" one. She only
uses it to read books
and play some lightweight games.

I watch a lot of movies and TV on my iPad, so the retina display will be exceptionally cool. I also play a lot of graphically intensive games on it. I can't wait to get the New iPad!

Don't let your wife see the new iPad - she might end up "stealing" it for her book reading. ;)

• Members

PLEASE POST SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE APPS HERE!

A few of my favs - Sunrizer Synth / Animoog / Korg iMS-20 / Korg iElectribe / Notion /

The main reason I'm tempted to get an iPad (either the iPad 2 for the $100 discount or the new one) is the app selection. Animoog is fun to play on my iPhone and could benefit from the iPad's greater screen space. The iPad apps that intrigue me include iMS-20, TC-11, and Lemur.

TC-11

Lemur (controlller/sequencer/script runner app)

• Members

One aspect that might be relevant for musicians is that the "new iPad" now supposedly has more RAM than the iPad 2 (512MB vs 1GB). So, while the power of the main CPU has not increased too much (I don't believe the new quad-core GPU will have all that much of an effect for music apps), the overall experience running apps that use a lot of memory might be significantly improved.

If I didn't already have an iPad 2, I would surely spring for the new one.

I wonder how long we'd need to wait for a full-fledged VST/AU player for iOS?

• Members

There has been some talk about harnessing GPU to do general processing, but its a lot of work so if that was about to happen in mobile devices, I think we would have heard about it already. New iPads GPU seems to be really powerful though, and it might open many doors for us if it happened.

Of course, theres the cameras DSP. I'm not sure how jealously the camera is keeping its eye on it, but if it was programmable, it might also be surprisingly effective in musical applications(Nokias phones have used similar DSP than many hardware synths).

• Members

Storage
still tops out at 64 gB. They never say how much
memory
the things have, but I believe the original iPad had 256k and the iPad 2 has 512k, and the relatively small memory is one of the things that can create limitations for some kinds of music apps. I'll be curious to learn if there's more in the new model.

512K is a very small amount of memory, yes. But then again Notator and Cubase ran happily on the Atari ST, so clearly it is possible to do something with it. ;)

• Members

At $499, the iPad is staggering in terms of its value. I remember spending that much just for a 15" VGA CRT monitor. Or to add 4 MBs of RAM to my 486 box running Windows 3.11.

The iPad manages to combine hardware and software to produce something that is both a technological wonder and a piece of art. And the advertising campaigns around these things are brilliant.

Ten, fifteen years ago, who would have guessed that in 2012 Apple would have the entire tech industry trying to play catch up, and that Apple would be the most valuable company in the world? Not me.

These things are cool, and do a zillion different things. Arguably the most amazing gadget invented in my lifetime, IMHO.

• Members

Coming from an EE and math background, I consider the iPad (and even more so the iPod touch from which it came) to be more a feat of implementation and integration than anything else. I don't disagree that it is a wonderful and useful object and is also beautiful to behold, but the idea or invention of an integrated tablet that does all the things the iPad does has been around for quite a long time.

I think that I formulated this opinion due to my realization and dismay that there is no way that a single individual could possible take in, understand, and develop the depth and breadth of all the individual pieces that go in to such a thing as an iPad. I am getting a headache trying just to put together a mental list that touches on the variety - sort of bestiary of technologies if you will. Some that just come to mind stream of thought are computational algorithms, semi-conducting devices, digital and analog circuits, VLSI design, semi-conductor processing, lithography, signal and image processing, communications systems and information theory, LEDs, liquid crystals and displays, transparent conductors, protective coatings, thermal physics and thermal management compounds, semi-conductor packaging, RF engineering, metallurgy, composite materials, electrochemistry and battery technology, thin film chemistry and physics, fracture mechanics and strength of materials, physiology of the human visual and auditory system, etc. etc.

Anyway I am trying to say that it is the fact that a device such as an iPad integrates so many of the fields, including in part my non-exhaustive list, and succeeds at making a functional thing that is so darned useful *and* easy to use that impresses me the most.

What is also really interesting, when I think about it, is that I started out using my iPad as primarily what I have heard described as a "time waster", i.e. a thing that occupies short (or at first long) intervals of time essentially playing around. I found that it did not take long for my personal fascination with the "time wasting" aspect - the cute little games and whatnot - to go away. I now use it primarily for utilitarian things like taking all of my math notes and performing hand calculations, taking and organizing my notes from meetings, reading journal articles (3M library electronic subscriptions) and emails, etc., and listening to music while doing that. It is surprising to me that much of what I do with it now is work-related... to the point where I am considering that when I upgrade to "iPad N" when mine dies or becomes unusable I will request one from work rather than buy one for my personal use.

• Members

Ten, fifteen years ago, who would have guessed that in 2012 Apple would have the entire tech industry trying to play catch up, and that Apple would be the most valuable company in the world? Not me.

I did. ... Not trying to say I foresaw all that Apple would become from 15 years in the past, but I always did believe in the company, and that they would not die.

I don't mean to derail the thread but when I first jumped on computers to write music, it was about 1993 and Apple was the go-to platform... despite naysayers and business analysts insistently forecasting the downfall of the company. It seemed simple to me, especially in practical use, that their product was simply better than any at-the-time alternatives. And in the music niche, Apple was always strongest, historically, and well-supported by 3rd party companies like Digidesign, MOTU, OPCODE, Steinberg, etc. They were pretty much the industry-standard and had a great product, and will carry forth.

That being said, happy as Fxxx! I bought the tiny amount of stock that I did, when I did. Only wishing I had bought (much) more. :p

Archived