No announcement yet.

Motivation

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
    My intention was to write a 10-song concept album, the theme being 'water'. However, I think I was being a tad optimistic. So I've watered it down (if you'll pardon the pun) to a 4-track EP. Subject: The Titanic

Here's track 3. It's a passenger's account of the horrifying moment on 15th April 1912 when the mighty ship hit an iceberg and sank, with the loss of more than 1,500 lives. I haven't written parts 1, 2 and 4 yet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uclt2pzihj...nking.mp3?dl=0

That is HILARIOUS!!!! (I do recommend mixing the voice a little higher, though.)

BTW I have a friend who's a huge fan of the Neo- album, and loves both of your songs on there...Black Market Daydreams and Only Ever After You. I played her the originals and she loved those equally as much - she said they're great songs, so there's no way they could be recorded "wrong." However I do take that as somewhat of a challenge, so if I do a Finnish Death Metal Whaling Song version with accordion, we'll see just how accurate her observation is.
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

That is HILARIOUS!!!! (I do recommend mixing the voice a little higher, though.)

BTW I have a friend who's a huge fan of the Neo- album, and loves both of your songs on there...Black Market Daydreams and Only Ever After You. I played her the originals and she loved those equally as much - she said they're great songs, so there's no way they could be recorded "wrong." However I do take that as somewhat of a challenge, so if I do a Finnish Death Metal Whaling Song version with accordion, we'll see just how accurate her observation is.
      Well that's nice to know
      new album - smoke
      forum - the asylum

Comment

Well...I suppose I'm just staying in touch. I was music everywhere all the time for a few decades. I worked a full time orchestra job and had my electric violin project, played for a band in the area for a while. Life seemed rather complete as far as that stuff goes. I'd somehow caught the ear of a Warner Bros A&R guy in Minneapolis as well. He of course wanted to see more than my violin and a drum machine. Efforts to form a band while working for the orchestra didn't quite pan out. Looking back, I was just too used up a lot of the time. Conductors want more - even if the indication is morendo...it has to be done with full engagement, if not vitality. I could do it no other way, regardless. And even though the conductor may know that, they're still up there pulling for more. Or more less.

Then my neck was injured and a whole lotta stuff got wiped...like hopes and dreams, expectations and big ideas. Career.

Stripped.

I remember this fleeting thought I had at the time. 'Well, there goes having to live up to my talent.' As though it was a relief.

I kept writing though for a few years, trying to be patient with the neck, trying not to give up, and eventually wound up with a lot of music that needed that last thing that was now in short supply...me and my violin. Programmed keyboard solos weren't anywhere close.

So the last few years I haven't written much. I had a lot of unanswered questions as far as recording, mixing goes and instead I took a few of my more promising songs and tried a lot of different things with them. Parallel compression, matching reverb decay, pre delay to the tempo. What actually benefits from compression in the mix, and what is best left without, or just a touch? I guess I'm not really worried about creating more songs as much as finishing up what is already there and having it sound reasonably well done, at least to me. I'm 'a gittin thar.

Making use of skills that were years in the making. And maybe if nothing else my son can know that his dad was good at something and he wasn't a quitter, even when he probably had reason enough to be.

Last edited by RockViolin; 05-09-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

You never know when, in a few seconds, your life will change for the better or worse. All you can do is accept whatever happens and act accordingly.

The comment "Programmed keyboard solos weren't anywhere close" caught my eye. Controllers like the Linnstrument and ROLI Seaboard may not be at acoustic instrument levels yet...but they're getting there. I suspect that before too long, we'll be able to make truly expressive solos with electronic sounds.
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

You never know when, in a few seconds, your life will change for the better or worse. All you can do is accept whatever happens and act accordingly.

The comment "Programmed keyboard solos weren't anywhere close" caught my eye. Controllers like the Linnstrument and ROLI Seaboard may not be at acoustic instrument levels yet...but they're getting there. I suspect that before too long, we'll be able to make truly expressive solos with electronic sounds.
            I wasn't comparing to an acoustic. My electric violin is quite capable of getting me where I wish to go also, when I'm capable.

Just saying that it will never be the same. I'd found my voice. I don't have anywhere near the facility with a keyboard that I have with the violin - having played since I was 5. While I did have some fun fabricating some keyboard *chops, it's not the same as being practically one with an instrument you've spent your life with. I'm sure that some will manage to express themselves quite well with the gear you mention, and I meant no slight to such gear, really.

And yeah, one of the last things my dad said to me on the matter was, "Sometimes you have to work with what you have left." I can't stand to play my acoustic much at all. But I came up with a way to strap my electric instrument on, quite discretely. It's easier on the neck, and it vibrates a lot less so I can actually stand to play it a fair amount on my good days. Enough that I believe can finish my project, as me. For that I'm thankful! I do my best to accentuate the positive, but and at the same time I have few if any illusions anymore. I work on my songs now for the same reason that I started writing in the first place. And all the dark, lost days were just a temporary setback.
            Last edited by RockViolin; 05-09-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockViolin View Post

I wasn't comparing to an acoustic. My electric violin is quite capable of getting me where I wish to go also, when I'm capable.

Just saying that it will never be the same. I'd found my voice. I don't have anywhere near the facility with a keyboard that I have with the violin - having played since I was 5. While I did have some fun fabricating some keyboard *chops, it's not the same as being practically one with an instrument you've spent your life with. I'm sure that some will manage to express themselves quite well with the gear you mention, and I meant no slight to such gear, really.

And yeah, one of the last things my dad said to me on the matter was, "Sometimes you have to work with what you have left." I can't stand to play my acoustic much at all. But I came up with a way to strap my electric instrument on, quite discretely. It's easier on the neck, and it vibrates a lot less so I can actually stand to play it a fair amount on my good days. Enough that I believe can finish my project, as me. For that I'm thankful! I do my best to accentuate the positive, but and at the same time I have few if any illusions anymore. I work on my songs now for the same reason that I started writing in the first place. And all the dark, lost days were just a temporary setback.

I have to say....The two posts you have in this thread are at once, confessional and inspiring. I suppose I also have to offer a bit of apology. I had a notion of who you were, based on a thread where a person, I suppose a youngster, had submitted a tune of his, which while admittedly, not up to scratch, was nonetheless posted with I believe a naivete that could only indicate a need for approval. Several different members of this forum chimed in with what I thought was a completely over the top damning of this persons offering. You too criticized it, but in a strictly technical form. I guess I was a bit torqued up by the previous flames directed towards the person, and immediately put you in the same category as the other, more hurtful commentators...At that point I put you in my personal "Person to ignore completely" file.

I see now...I was no better than the people I thought were too eager to tear that kid down...I rushed to judgement too early as regards you personally. The fact that I never voiced my negative feelings about it here really makes no difference. I didn't know your backstory. Your professional life, your injury and the incredible trials you faced because of it, the true cost of it. Your determination to not let it beat you. Well it's absolutely inspiring...
              http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

I have to say....The two posts you have in this thread are at once, confessional and inspiring. I suppose I also have to offer a bit of apology. I had a notion of who you were, based on a thread where a person, I suppose a youngster, had submitted a tune of his, which while admittedly, not up to scratch, was nonetheless posted with I believe a naivete that could only indicate a need for approval. Several different members of this forum chimed in with what I thought was a completely over the top damning of this persons offering. You too criticized it, but in a strictly technical form. I guess I was a bit torqued up by the previous flames directed towards the person, and immediately put you in the same category as the other, more hurtful commentators...At that point I put you in my personal "Person to ignore completely" file.

I see now...I was no better than the people I thought were too eager to tear that kid down...I rushed to judgement too early as regards you personally. The fact that I never voiced my negative feelings about it here really makes no difference. I didn't know your backstory. Your professional life, your injury and the incredible trials you faced because of it, the true cost of it. Your determination to not let it beat you. Well it's absolutely inspiring...
                Well thank you, AlamoJoe! I'm not sure an apology is necessary, accepted nonetheless. Yes, that was some thin ice you speak of. I've done enough teaching to know that sometimes one has to lay it down and somehow not hurt feelings or crush spirits. I could maybe have done better. The poster had a red flag issue, from where I come from. Not unlike a cook serving up a raw steak - it doesn't matter how well it was seasoned, or plated at that point. And when the cook seemingly can't tell the difference? But yeah, he/she got the Chef Ramsey treatment from someone else.

I was feeling like I'd shared too much. Glad some good came of all that blathering.

It hasn't been easy. It could be much worse. I'd be nowhere without my wife and son.

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                  AlamoJoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love is the best medicine indeed...

• RockViolin
                  RockViolin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If things had gone any differently I would likely not be so lucky. And seen in that light, I wouldn't change a thing. I used to come home to an empty house after rehearsals, performances...to work on the songs I thought of as my children. They still kinda are, but they don't love me back quite the same. Not at all. There is a difference. Still, there's a part of me that just will not rest...

Different phases of life bring different motivation for creating or lack thereof. I haven't written a song since Sept 2012. Longest non-creative period of my life. However, previous to that in the 5 years before, I wrote/co-wrote almost 200.

I do not see a reason to write any more. I've said it all and learned how to write the level and styles I wanted. I was in Nashville for 4 years playing that game writing in that box and that really did me in,..I can say if I ever write again it will be ONLY for me, NOT commercial consumption.

These days I'm gigging full time building up a corporate/private events live music brand, I hope to be out of playing live, just running the business end of it all in 5 years. It's just Seasons of life.
                Last edited by sventvkg; 05-11-2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Depends on the controller.

Low bandwidth, recorded on the gig with an old Archos Juke Box about 20 years ago using a Yamaha Wind Midi Controller and a Yamaha VL70-m synth module. So the tone is poor but the solos are expressive IMO

Link MIDI sax solo #1

Link MIDI guitar solo

Link MIDI sax solo #2

They were recorded on the gig, and as things go, sometimes we played them better, sometimes we played them worse, but the guy with the Archos close to our PA speaker caught these performances.

Not perfect emulations of the instruments, but close enough for the public, and definitely as expressive as can be done with an acoustic or acoustic/electric instrument.

Insights and incites by Notes
                  Last edited by Notes_Norton; 05-12-2017, 08:25 AM. Reason: I screwed up the links and had to correct thenm
                  Bob "Notes" Norton
                  Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                  Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
                  The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

To add to the above, using the same gear as in the above post, but recorded better. It was for a project CD a friend of mine was doing in his home studio. He is a gutarist/songwriter/singer and liked my synth guitar - not because it sounds exactly like a guitar, but because it sounds like a synth guitar, so I did this for him (first take) and I have his permission to post it.

Wind controller MIDI guitar-ish sound

The project never got off the ground, as his teaching and gigging schedule just didn't leave him enough time or energy to learn the skills of recording to his satisfaction.

But electronic instruments can sound expressive.

As far as inspiration goes, the only 'writing' I do is improvised solos. When I try to write a song, I've never come up with lyrics that I like - they always sound too corny to me. But I never need any inspiration than the music itself. Sometimes they turn out nice, sometimes meh, and sometimes they surprise me and I think they come out fantastic (of course I'm prejudiced).

Insights and incites by Notes
                    Bob "Notes" Norton
                    Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                    Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
                    The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Don't they have a neural-interface for a virtual violin yet? Cuz like, I can visualize just fine...and you wouldn't believe how much playing I do in my dreams.

Comment

Don't they have a neural-interface for a virtual violin yet? Cuz like, I can visualize just fine...and you wouldn't believe how much playing I do in my dreams.
                        It would not surprise me if within the next thirty years you'll be able to slap a couple of headphone like devices on your temples and not only write music with thoughts, but shoot entire movies. Will require levels of concentration I do not have though. I could perhaps do a three minute song without my mind wandering somewhere else and breaking the chain.
                        http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
                          It would not surprise me if within the next thirty years you'll be able to slap a couple of headphone like devices on your temples and not only write music with thoughts, but shoot entire movies. Will require levels of concentration I do not have though. I could perhaps do a three minute song without my mind wandering somewhere else and breaking the chain.
                          Yes, it probably wouldn't take much to upset the cart. Given how much the mind can wander as one plays a physical instrument-while the fingers go where they've been often enough, it would take discipline.

Comment

Yes, it probably wouldn't take much to upset the cart. Given how much the mind can wander as one plays a physical instrument-while the fingers go where they've been often enough, it would take discipline.

Have either of you seen the movie "Forbidden Planet"? It's a 1950's re-working of Shakespeare's "The Tempest" and aside from having the first electronic soundtrack ever, weaves a brilliant cautionary tale about what happens when you can control things with thought. I won't spoil it in case you haven't seen the flick, but I recommend the movie very highly.

Comment

Please don't take this the wrong way, but...maybe there's a reason for you being forced to use a different voice. My primary instrument is guitar but when I play keyboards - which I play adequately at best - my compositions take on a whole other flavor. Lately I played with a ukulele almost randomly because I was getting impatient with my computer booting, and ended up using it as the basis of several songs. I'm no great ukulele player, but the songs really turned out well...probably because I'm not a killer ukulele player

That you are persevering is bound to infuse your music with a different dimension. While I understand you will not be able to regain what you had, perhaps you will gain something you wouldn't have had otherwise. And although working with what you have left may be discouraging, "what you have left" may be more than everything others have.

Lately I've been learning to celebrate what I've done rather than focus on what remains to be done. It's given me a more balanced perspective. It sounds to me that you already had figured that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X