Recommend a mike for me, please!

rasputin1963

• Members

Damn...and that's the Mike I was gonna recommend.

rasputin, look into the sE electronics series of mics. I'm hearing lots of good things about those. Also, as a couple other people around here have linked us, look into the Karma microphones; I've heard some nice reviews of these mics, outside of these boards, as well.

Originally posted by rasputin1963

Purpose: home recording, voice.

Style: I am a tenor, singing jazz softly and sweetly, like Chet Baker. No heavy metal shouts, ever.

Price Range: $1K US

Thanks, ras

Just above your price range, but a great mic - Soundelux U195.

A little less than your price range, and not perfect on everyone, but if it "fits" your voice, it's definitely a cool mic - Blue Baby Bottle.

Gotta have a tube? Rode NTK.

• Members

Thank you, gentlemen, for your thoughtful and copious replies.

After reading the specs on every microphone you've mentioned, I've decided to go with the BLUE BABY BOTTLE.

Although all the others were tempting as well.

[i do see that Bob Dylan recorded his vocals on his latest album, MODERN TIMES, on the BABY BOTTLE.]

:thu: ras

I've specified a few of them for home studios for some of my clients... if you have a singer who tends to be harsh or silibant, the Baby Bottle can be an excellent choice. It's not a dull sounding microphone, but the top end isn't overly hyped either, and it tends to work very well on female vocalists or males with higher / brighter voices... and for jazz, it would probably do very well on a tenor.

Agan, they're not for everyone (what is? ;) ), but it is a very good mic. Please let us know how well it works out for you rasputin. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by deanmass

Why, Gearmike of course.

Why thanks for the mention.

Actually, most people here don't no this but I am a gear pimp and selling mics is what I do all day.

I just try to keep this place a non comercial outlet...

But I definately second Phil's recomendation of the Soundelux 195. If this is something you are going to really invest in, more than just a passing hobby, I tend to recomend against most of the lower cost Chinese mics. They may sound great when you've only been exposed to handheld dynamic mics or other Chinese mics, but most of my clients eventually grow tired of the exact things that wow'ed them in the first place.

Archived