What is the best digital recording you've heard?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Lots of Enya stuff... but it was recorded on digital and dumped over to analog.

Other than that nothing comes to mind. It's been a decade or so of great suffering for my ears. I rate new releases by how many Advil I have to take (or don't have to take). ;)

• Members

Yeah there are a lot of great classical recordings on digital, ditto bluegrass or anything where it's a live-to-stereo recording with no multitracking and not much if any processing.

Once you start adding tracks together and adding processing, things can get ugly in a hurry. :lol:

• Members

fu manchu live double disc. pt 24/96. {censored}ing LOVE that record... and live to boot. i think it sounds better than most of their [ahem, analog] studio albums. clutch's robot hive exodus, even blast tyrant and jam room [but they are just a great sounding band]. reverend horton heat space heater, {censored}ing badass. im sure i could keep going.

• CMS Author

The one where you don't even think "is this digital?"

I never think about that any more since there are many good and many bad recordings that find their way to my speakers, but I know that some people like to find reasons why "digital" makes a recording sound particularly good, particularly bad, or have some recognizable characteristic.

• Members

Once you start adding tracks together and adding processing, things can get ugly in a hurry.
:lol:

Yes.

Frequently when layering the second stereo track over the first, I somehow have an unexplainable feeling that I miss a pair of ears, then I often call a buddy to help me hear and localize the 2nd stereo.

If you permit, I may call you next time when I change airlanes in Atlanta, and we auscultate some multi-stereo recodings together

• Members

Great. We can rework the question to say, "What is your favorite digital multi-track recording, using a digital medium for storage/playback while acknowledging that the front end may contain analog equipment?" There.

Yep, sounds kinda silly that way, doesn't it? :)

Nevertheless, unless you're one of the very few who buys most of your music on vinyl that was recorded to 2" and mixed to 1/2" and never went to a hard drive at any point in the manufacturing process, then it's 'digital'. And since a number of the mastering guys I know who still cut vinyl run the mix out of a workstation to the lathe, then unless you're present for the mastering, you wouldn't know if it went through a digital stage...

And obviously, if you're listening on a CD or MP3, it's digital, no matter how it was recorded. Oh - lets add that a great percentage of the records that are recorded and/or edited and/or mastered in a workstation are mixed though analog consoles with analog processors AND digital processors, so its an even muddier situation...

I've recorded stuff at 16 bit 44.K that sounded great, and I've recorded stuff at 24/96K though sounded like it had been hammered to death (which it had) by the time it was released... And I've played a whole bunch of crappy sounding records over the years that were recorded, mixed, mastered and cut and pressed in the analog domain (because I was working in studios before digital recording was invented).

The quality of the songs, the musicians, the engineers, the mics and signal chain and even the recording environment - ALL are more important than whether it's a 'digital' recording.

Archived