If I ever find one of these hidden in my studio...

PS The only improvement I would make would be to give it a remote triggering capability. Then you could set it off at exactly the same spot in a song... when the engineer starts soloing out tracks to track it down, you just sit and watch... they play back the mix again and - BEEP - there it is - that darned 12 kHz tone... :mad::eek::lol:

• CMS Author

... when the engineer starts soloing out tracks to track it down, you just sit and watch... they play back the mix again and - BEEP - there it is - that darned 12 kHz tone...
:mad::eek::lol:

One year at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival I spent most of a set trying to track down the source of feedback with this old time string band. It wasn't until I came up to the stage to try to reposition a couple of mics that I heard the fiddler's hearing aid feeding back.

• Members

PS The only improvement I would make would be to give it a remote triggering capability. Then you could set it off at exactly the same spot in a song... when the engineer starts soloing out tracks to track it down, you just sit and watch... they play back the mix again and - BEEP - there it is - that darned 12 kHz tone...
:mad::eek::lol:

You are an evil genius. Please never turn to the dark side!

• Members

...someone is going to
suffer!
:evil:

How to drive an engineer insane...

"Dood, did you hear that 12 kHz tone? I could have sworn I just heard something..."

"Nah, you're just experiencing ear fatigue - I didn't hear anything..."
;):D

Wow... yesterday I was in the coffee house and if I'd known about the exitstence of those, I would have been convinced someone had planted one.

This is a coffee house with a big, high tech spro-blower that cost as much as a (nice) full-size car and there are a bunch of coffee grinders and microwaves and high tech scales and such and many of them beep at times.

And there was this beep that kept happening at odd intervals... it started driving me nuts. I asked a barista if something was beeping behind the counter and he didn't hear it at first. It was irregular -- and the beeps were irregularly in duration.

Finally, I looked not far from me down the counter and a coupld of friend were obviously watching a video on a laptop that had been bleeped to death... I mean Chris Rock level bleeping...

I'd like to get one of those that was say, 15 kHz, just to drive the kids crazy and leave the adults alone...

• Members

That reminds me of a prank my friend played, but much more complicated. He took apart a remote control car and fixed up the flippers to sound an airhorn, hid it in his friend's house in a downstairs closet, then would periodically drive by late at night with the remote and sound it off, parked across the street, watch the lights turn on, then the lights turn back off, wait 20 minutes for him to fall back asleep, and do it again.... eventually they become convinced that there's a psychopath in the house somewhere and call the police. THat's why you have to leave after the second time you do it.

• Members

One year at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival I spent most of a set trying to track down the source of feedback with this old time string band. It wasn't until I came up to the stage to try to reposition a couple of mics that I heard the fiddler's hearing aid feeding back.

Now that is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. I probably know the fiddler.

Mike, do you know Henry Cross?

• Members

I am not sure where it was, but there was a engineering school prank using these(or some thing like that) , they hid 100's of these little guys in the management building. :)

Of course I have no official knowledge of this. I also don't have official knowledge of the water tight Volkswagen beetle full of gold fish....

I had once a collection of samples of microphone feedback, a 60Hz hum and several other nice sounds specially designed to drive the soundman crazy.

It worked better when the entire band was playing during soundcheck so he could not know immediately where the sound came from... and then when he got to the stage to check the cables -far away from the mixer-, then.... huuuummmmmm :lol:

But this, Phil, is a good/bad toy :thu:

You are an evil genius. Please never turn to the dark side!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon... luge lessons... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds

ROTFL! :lol:

Archived