Are the new "coiled" fluorescent bulbs a recordist's nightmare?

rasputin1963

• Members

I'm currently reading books onto SONAR audiofiles for the visually impaired.

I have a great gooseneck desk lamp here which sheds a bright, clean white light onto the text so I can read it easily. It uses one of those coiled, bulbsize 30W fluorescents.

But sometimes (not always), my resulting audiofile contains a nasty buzzing tone which is always alleviated by turning the lamp off. There is little doubt in my mind that the lamp is the culprit.

Dammit! Can I not have my cake and eat it too? Are these "coiled" lamp fluorescents known for inducing buzzing into an audio chain? Why does the buzzing occur sometimes, but not always?

• Members

Short answer is, it could be the bulb that is causing the problem, or it could be the lamp itself. Sometimes cheaper, older fluorescent bulbs develop an intermittent buzz over time, and other times the transformer in the lamp itself has or develops a problem. Have you tried swapping out the bulb?

• Members

I've been using such bulbs in my studio area since the early 90s and I haven't had that problem. Touch wood.

But since turning the thing off makes the problem go away, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator there's a problem.

Since these bulbs have their own ballast/transformer built in (unlike 'old-fashioned' fluorescent fixtures), I'd take Lee's suggestion and try swapping in another one. Maybe try a different brand if that doesn't work.

FWIW, I always hated/still hate conventional fluorescent lighting (which was what we had in every school I was ever in and which I still feel like I can feel the flicker/flutter from) but I was fairly shocked that, particularly after the first generation or so, the self-contained small bulbs put out a light that doesn't bother my eyes. I wish to hell we'd had light that steady when I was in school and many of my jobs.

• Members

Is the lamp plugged into the same circuit as the recording gear? Maybe you can try switching it to a different circuit? I didn't know what went into a fluorescent light ballast, but according to Wikipedia the CFL bulbs these days use an electronic ballast (no transformer), and "Electronic ballasts are often based on the SMPS topology". That would be the why (switch-mode power supplies use an oscillator to chop the voltage in order to reduce average power output, which can cause noise issues).

• Moderators

Do yourself and humanity a favor and never buy another CFL bulb.

Slow start, weird light, higher cost with no more lifetime (despite claims), supposedly requires (but does usually get) hazardous waste disposal. And sometimes buzzes as you're currently getting.

Thick smoke came pouring out of one of mine the other day, less than 6 months old. The smoke was unusual but the life span was not. Cheap Chinese CFLs? :confused:

Let's hope LED bulbs get cheaper soon. Until then, I'll stick to incandescent and just turn off the ones I'm not using. BTW, if you power cycle CFLs a lot it reduces their lifetime. So you either have to leave them on negating the power benefit or cycle them frequently reducing the cost benefit.

Only good thing I have to say about CFLs is you can put a 150w (light equivalent) in a 60w socket safely.

BadBulb.jpg

Terry D.

• Members

Yeah, they do make them in regular light socket format now. They're expensive compared to regular bulbs, but the price is coming down pretty dramatically now, and of course they save a crapload of energy, last forever, don't get hot, etc.

I just replaced all the (formerly halogen) track lights in my studio with LED equivalents. Home Depot sells these now and they're awesome. And even dimmable. They are a brighter white than the halogens, and I'm not sure how the light is on the regular bulb types - I haven't tried those yet. Can't complain about the track lights though.

CFL always was just an interim technology. By the time any of mine burn out, it should be pretty cheap to replace them with LEDs. Meanwhile, I like them - they've finally gotten to the point where the better brands give off a really nice warm light.

• Members

They make those in regular light socket format? I didn't know, that would be cool. Are they a good color for normal indoor lighting? CFL's were ugly in the beginning.

Lee answered most of this, which is exactly right. I was just at Lowe's, and they have quite a selection of LEDs that fit into regular light sockets.

They are a good color for normal indoor lighting, with many thinking that they light looks more attractive than CF bulbs.

• Members

CFL always was just an interim technology. By the time any of mine burn out, it should be pretty cheap to replace them with LEDs. Meanwhile, I like them - they've finally gotten to the point where the better brands give off a really nice warm light.

That's cool. CFL with it's environmentally-unfriendly mercury content is not cool. As long as there are options for LED lights that are a good indoor color that's great!

• Members

Do yourself and humanity a favor and never buy another CFL bulb.

The so-called "benefits" of using these are completely leaving out the whole story. You'd be better off using incandescent bulbs, in terms of better for the environment. I know some tea-party losers co-opted this issue, but the facts are the facts.

LED seems like the way to go, but honestly I don't know the full story of how they are produced/etc. I know florescent light is annoying. It's better, but I still prefer analog...er, I mean incandescent. I know this because I'm sitting under two of those coiled guys now and it's very harsh light. Under a lampshade, you really can't tell, but if the bulb doesn't have a diffuser (tell spellcheck that diffuser is spelled that way...grrr) I can tell. ;)

• Members

My electric company keeps sending me free coiled fluorescent bulbs. I've replaced most all the hall lights basement lights etc with them but any lamp where I read I've got the old bulbs. I put them in all the overhead sockets in my studio, but they're only on when I'm setting things up. I have an overhead incandescent spot when I'm making music along with the fake fire bulbs and color on the wall.

• Members

The so-called "benefits" of using these are completely leaving out the whole story. You'd be better off using incandescent bulbs, in terms of better for the environment. I know some tea-party losers co-opted this issue, but the facts are the facts.

LED seems like the way to go, but honestly I don't know the full story of how they are produced/etc. I know florescent light is annoying. It's better, but I still prefer analog...er, I mean incandescent. I know this because I'm sitting under two of those coiled guys now and it's very harsh light. Under a lampshade, you really can't tell, but if the bulb doesn't have a diffuser (tell spellcheck that diffuser is spelled that way...grrr) I can tell.
;)

LEDs are made pretty much the same way as transistors; each LED is a tiny speck of semiconductor. The main difference is the materials. LEDs are made with gallium, arsenic, indium, phosphors and various other exotic elements, embedded in a chunk of plastic.

• CMS Author

I have a great gooseneck desk lamp here which sheds a bright, clean white light onto the text so I can read it easily. It uses one of those coiled, bulbsize 30W fluorescents.

But sometimes (not always), my resulting audiofile contains a nasty buzzing tone
which is always alleviated by turning the lamp off.
There is little doubt in my mind that the lamp is the culprit.

Someone will always tell you that fluorescent lamps are a sure trouble spot in or anywhere near a studio. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. You've performed a partial experiment here and determined that the lamp with the compact fluorescent buld sometimes causes buzzing but you haven't completely analyzed the problem,

Try putting an incandescent bulb in the lamp and see if you still get the intermittent buzzing, Or try putting the fluorescent bulb in a different lamp and see if it causes buzzing. The problem could be the bulb, but it could also be a dirty switch contact in the lamp or a poor wiring connection. Maybe it'll catch fire some day and then you won't have to worry about the noise any longer,.

• Members

I been using them in my studio for a year now with zero issues with hum. You would suspect they cause alot of hum but they dont in my case.

I use a bunch of clip on lights too and move them to every outlet I have with no problems.

I do make sure my gear has good cables and proper grounding though. The bulb is inducing hum, thats obvious. The ballast may be going

and you may have additional ground problems you need to address. It can be a bad cable ground, poor AC ground to a box,

or a preamplifier in a circuit that just didnt have good shielding when it was designed.

You may be able to use the bulb like a geiger counter. Crank the system up and move the bulb around your gear till the hum is loudest.

That can help point to a potential problem.

• Members

LED's are great, though a bit pricey. We just moved into a house that needs a lot of lighting and we replaced many of the bulbs with LEDs, sinking a big chunk-o-change into them.

The only things I don't like about them is that they don't dim well (though they make newer dimmers that are more compatible), and I notice the flicker. But they're going to save so much in energy costs I'll put up with the flicker, everywhere but my office/studio.

Archived