This article will piss you off!

BTF

• Members

I agree, it will be extremely hard to replace. But imagine the financial rewards to the person/group/company that reshapes how tomorrow's music is made? It'll be something very unexpected though.. 30 years ago, who would have thought that a turntable would be the instrument of choice for a large portion of the music industry?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the sad fact that the vast majority of people who can actually be arsed to learn to play guitar are, by definition, tedious dullards.

Aye, and if the majority of the comments in response to the article are anything to go by, tedious dullards too thick to get when someone is blatantly taking the piss! Reminds me of the good old days when the NME published a Swells rant every week. Before their coverage went grey... and I got too old for it.

• Members

As in rap/hip hop/dance {censored}e?

Exactly.. But keep in mind, that {censored}e is a multi-billion dollar industry built around a dude scratching on a record and someone talking over him. I don't like rap, it's just not something I get, but one cannot deny the response to it was like a tidal wave. Same thing happened to rock and roll back in the 50's, right around the time the electric guitar was born. The next big thing is coming soon, the trick if going to be either spotting it early enough to capitalize on it, or by inventing the instrument/technology that makes it possible..

• Members

Exactly.. But keep in mind, that {censored}e is a multi-billion dollar industry built around a dude scratching on a record and someone talking over him. I don't like rap, it's just not something I get, but one cannot deny the response to it was like a tidal wave. Same thing happened to rock and roll back in the 50's, right around the time the electric guitar was born. The next big thing is coming soon, the trick if going to be either spotting it early enough to capitalize on it, or by inventing the instrument/technology that makes it possible..

Let's not forget repeating their own name as part of the lyrics. ;)

7B9B468C6A9F8D1449DA6C.jpg

Yo, turn my mic up! Trevisol Stylez in the house now. Gettin' trevi trevi trevi up in here. Ryan Tizzle! Ryan Tizzle!

:facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

That was very funny! Thing is some people's reaction to Guitar Hero/Rock Band makes me laugh. I love those types of games and they are what made me start learning guitar last year (At the age of 43, so I guess I am not their typical demographic). Still play Rock Band as much as I play my guitar, I just plug in a set of Roland electronic drums and drum along accuratelt to the real song.

Not so easy to do that with the guitar controller tho!

• Members
Let's not forget repeating their own name as part of the lyrics.
;)

7B9B468C6A9F8D1449DA6C.jpg
Yo, turn my mic up! Trevisol Stylez in the house now. Gettin' trevi trevi trevi up in here. Ryan Tizzle! Ryan Tizzle!

:facepalm:
:facepalm:

yeah, isn't that dumb? Announcing your name in the middle of a song so the listener might look you up and actually buy the record that contains the song they're hearing on the radio.. Marketing, what a laugh riot.. :rolleyes:

seriously though, it works.. Half the {censored} on the radio plays without ever being named by the DJ. Screaming your name out in the song gets a lot of Google searches going. As I said, I'm not a fan of rap, at all, but the marketing behind it has been brilliant.

• Members

yeah, isn't that dumb? Announcing your name in the middle of a song so the listener might look you up and actually buy the record that contains the song they're hearing on the radio.. Marketing, what a laugh riot..
:rolleyes:

seriously though, it works.. Half the {censored} on the radio plays without ever being named by the DJ. Screaming your name out in the song gets a lot of Google searches going. As I said, I'm not a fan of rap, at all, but the marketing behind it has been brilliant.

That's what Shazam is for. :p

You're right of course. It has been brilliant marketing. At the compromise of musical integrity, though. I don't dislike some hip hop. But when they start marketing in the middle of the song, I'm done.

• Members

Steven Wells is a veteran punk provocateur. His piece is satirical in intent and meant for entertainment purposes only.

At about the halfway point I thought that...prior to that I was thinking "this guy's a tool". Then I laughed it up when he got into the well digging part and the clone flesh thing.

Great stuff.

• Moderators

I just read his pro pissing on seats at rock shows rant. The guy seems like a dumbass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/feb/05/rock-urine-freedom-month

Errr, despite my thinking he's a tad of a wanker, that piece is very funny.

What is it you find "dumbass" about it?

I remember being at a Whitesnake gig at a big venue when my girlfriend came over all shaky and puked up her Snakebite (cider and lager mix) all over me, after she chilled and felt better I scraped the residue off my leather and jeans with a ticket stub and carried on enjoying Coverdale, Moody, Marsden and co for the remainder......a tad of piss never hurt anyone

• Members
Guitars with buttons instead of strings.....sounds good to me!

In fact , I want a guitar that goes off to gigs and plays them without me, so I can stay in bed with a good woman.

:thu:

She'd probably prefer you go to the gig and leave something button-operated behind for her.

• Members

a tad of piss never hurt anyone

A well-known British harmonica player from the post-Feelgoods punk/R&B crossover thang (NOT Buffalo Bill!) once passed out in the spare room at a party on the bed where everyone had tossed their coats ... and wet the bed.

When the hosts indicated their displeasure, he protested, 'Wossa problem, maaaaan, it's only beer piss!'

(Not long after, he was busted for pulling off the world's worst attempted robbery ... he went into a post office with a petrol can, spilled the contents on the floor, struck a match and threatened to set light to the puddle.

(It was actually water.)

• Members

I read a recent interview with Yngwie Malmsteen, and he said that he thought Guitar Hero was a good thing in that it introduced kids to a lot of music they otherwise wouldn't have heard or really listened to.

I hate to say it, but I agree with him. I have an 12 year old daughter that knows about Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore, Leslie West, Heart, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and many more pretty much exclusively because of Guitar Hero.

But... and I know I've said this before... several months ago, at my local Guitar Center, I was talking to one of the good guys there and mentioned how many used entry level guitars and amps they had for sale. He looked at me and dead seriously say, 'Guitar Hero.' Kids would get the started kits or whatever and when they could play them or Expert Level in a couple weeks, they'd quit playing them at all.

I don't know. I'm not sure what the net effect of Guitar Hero will be on the world of guitar 10 years from now, but there are plusses and minuses.

• Members

That's pretty good.. Though Bill Gates did bring the computer to the masses with the clickable buttons on the screen, thus allowing the masses to enter the elitist computer user club (but they in turn responded with Linux, BSD, Latex, and all sorts of other wonderful programs)

Don't worry, we're not on the edge of extinction just yet.. Great article!

• Members

We demand piece-of-piss-to-play button guitars now. And pre-programmed "hurdy gurdy" guitars that actually play both louder and faster the harder you crank the handle. And living guitars made out of pain-sensitive clone flesh with screaming Jagger-lipped mouths at the end of the necks that vomit a milk-like substance over the first five rows of the baying crowd at the end of each particularly impressive guitar solo.

Oh yeah, baby. That's what I'm talking about. Let's make it happen.

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived