U2 hate

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Hmm. I'm might be crazy, but I think people pay huge tix prices for U2 shows to hear music. Not to hear about suffrage of the world. God forbid I pay $100+ for tickets and don't wanna hear some douchebag spout political ignorance/naivety from a stage.

Obviously people pay lots of money to see U2s music, but the people who pay that much also know what the band stands for.

I don't always want to hear preaching, either, but I also understand that there are things more important in the world than pop entertainment and whether people have spent the equivalent of the annual salary of a poor African farmer ($100) to hear songs are upset having to actually think about important issues.

Bono is an unapologetic voice for change, following a long line of politically active musicians from Woody Guthrie to Dylan to Seager and dozens more in between. He has a soap box. The people who come to listen to him know that.

And if you're going to a FREE concert (the one referred to in the original troll posting), you definitely can't complain that you have to listen to a few minutes of preaching.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm. I'm might be crazy, but I think people pay huge tix prices for U2 shows to hear music. Not to hear about suffrage of the world. God forbid I pay $100+ for tickets and don't wanna hear some douchebag spout political ignorance/naivety from a stage.

U2s music has always been political. It's not like Bono has gotten preachy in recent years. Watch Live Aid in the 1986, he was preaching then. I don't see why anybody who thinks Bono is a douche would pay to see him?

• Members

Obviously people pay lots of money to see U2s music, but the people who pay that much also know what the band stands for.

I don't always want to hear preaching, either, but I also understand that there are things more important in the world than pop entertainment and whether people have spent the equivalent of the annual salary of a poor African farmer ($100) to hear songs are upset having to actually think about important issues.

Bono is an unapologetic voice for change, following a long line of politically active musicians from Woody Guthrie to Dylan to Seager and dozens more in between. He has a soap box. The people who come to listen to him know that.

And if you're going to a FREE concert (the one referred to in the original troll posting), you definitely can't complain that you have to listen to a few minutes of preaching.

Who the {censored} goes to a concert to hear about real life. I go to a show to loosen up for a couple hours and escape the heavy parts of life.

Not just that, but most of the time he's just spouting stupidity. Ok, some dude makes $100 a year. What the {censored} does that have to do with Bono, me, music, or anything.

• Members

Bono ... Love him, hate him or have no opinion on him at all - he has his own opinions and values which he'll put across to anyone that's about.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

That's from 2005 but he's been saying the same thing for a long time, and I guess he'll continue to do so.

• Members

Who the {censored} goes to a concert to hear about real life. I go to a show to loosen up for a couple hours and escape the heavy parts of life.

Not just that, but most of the time he's just spouting stupidity. Ok, some dude makes $100 a year. What the {censored} does that have to do with Bono, me, music, or anything.

I listen to music to be inspired, not to escape "real life". I admit that I don't listen to Bono or U2 anymore, but when I was younger I really liked his message about non-violence, anti-apartheid, and peace in Ireland.

I also admire the fact that they were nearly a lone voice in a wilderness of vacuous, shallow, escapist pop that was fun to listen to but didn't have anything lasting or meaningful to contribute.

If you want pure escapism, listen to another band. What's so hard about that? :idk:

• Members

I think they're a good band and have been doing it for, what, twenty years or something? They're consistent and never really flop.

They've never been cutting edge, though, not a hint of danger, and haven't taken any chances. If they chose to coast through the rest of their career they could do it easily, and no one would notice.

The reason they get slagged about their politics is because Bono seems to do an awful lot of it. Lots of bands will play shows for a cause, or say something about hunger or an end to war. The only difference with U2 is that Bono overdoes it.

Now here's what bothers me most. I'm concerned about The Edge. If he keeps that hat on for much longer, he's at risk of losing his hair. Man, that hair has to breathe or else it'll fall out, and then he'll be a guitarist with male pattern baldness.

• Members

I guess I have to fall on the side of when they get it right they make some great music and when they go off the rails they can't really get tedious-but then again so can a lot of bands. Bono can be a bit much sometimes-he does seem to care about his message, even if delivers it as a pompous ass- but who knows how some of us might behave with unlimited money and access to people of power to try to change something that matters to us. - I do agree with CSM's assessment, though, that it would carry more weight if he put his money where his oft running mouth was.

• Members

Um..."pillock"?

I've never been a fan, but we rented "Rattle and Hum" as part of my 13 year old daughter's continueing music education (she loves all things 80's and British). Have to admit I enjoyed it more than expected, though mostly because of Edge.

You should probably try to put as much effort into your daughter's geography education as you do her music. U2 are an Irish band, not British.

• Members

Just never been a fan. If the Edge would just use a couple of effects now and then I would probably love him.:poke:
:facepalm:

You know, come to think of it, I've always wondered how he had the nerve to walk around calling himself the Edge in public all these years. I mean seriously, go into work on monday and proclaim yourself to be henceforth known as the Ultimate or something and see how long it takes for someone to snort cappucinno out their nose.

• Members

Deconstruction time, students.

Here's an example of an excellent post that offers opinion:

Here's an example of a post meant to jab and cause friction:

Pay special attention to the line, "people who have nothing to offer."

I have never understood why that type of response is considered appropriate in any forum. Linking dislike for Bono with people who are considered useless can't possibly contribute to the discussion and only sets the stage for snide if not vehement retaliation.

That's considered poor debate form.

My response. Bono is a self serving twit, who occasionally does some good in the world. But he makes damn sure everybody in said world is aware that Bono did something good.

There. I made a response without challenging any other posters intelligence, politics, or mores.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

What was meant by "nothing to offer" was that a lot of arm chair critics are always spewing stuff about how irritating bono is when he tries to make a difference. I'd like to know what they've done to make a difference.

I've never once heard bono say "i'm so great cause I help some poor people."

It's always the cynics who try to imply some ulterior motives in his actions. Show me where he's bragged about his actions.

As someone else mentioned..he's just very passionate about his causes. What's wrong with that?

• Members

See, that one of the things that nauseate me about the man. I can't even hit the play button on that vid. The title alone gags me.

I do believe he does good on the world scene, but don't be preachy world wide about helping the poor when you're still a mulit-millionaire flying about in your private jet. Quietly, privately donate away most of your money until you're down to my level, a multi-thousandaire, and then I'll listen to your preaching about doing more to help the poor and needy. The amount of money I donate to charity affects my ability to have dinner out more than his donations have ever affected his ability to not have to cook at home.

Plus he acts and struts like every new track out of his mouth is some manna from heaven that he's bestowing upon us poor ignorant masses, when in fact a lot of it sounds like some sort of weak sister rehashing of their basic genre. But don't get me wrong, I love some of their older stuff. But that was mostly from before he became immortal.

I guess you can put me down under "has some grudging respect" ;)

• Members

I was having a similarish conversation with my son (7 1/2) when I was driving him back from school last week, as he'd picked up on Bono a few weks ago on some music channel, and whispered to me that Bono looks "like a pillock"...he'd just learned pillock......then while listening to the radio in the car when Vertigo came on, I said to him that this was that pillock Bono.....and after a few minutes he said.....but the guitar is perrty good, so we came to the conclusion that Bono was a pillock but that maybe Larry, Edge and Adam were OK....kids...they're great

kids have a way of knowing exactly what's in most people. I know, I'm a teacher!

• Members

See, that one of the things that nauseate me about the man. I can't even hit the play button on that vid. The title alone gags me.

I do believe he does good on the world scene, but don't be preachy world wide about helping the poor when you're still a mulit-millionaire flying about in your private jet. Quietly, privately donate away most of your money until you're down to my level, a multi-thousandaire, and then I'll listen to your preaching about doing more to help the poor and needy. The amount of money I donate to charity affects my ability to have dinner out more than his donations have ever affected his ability to not have to cook at home.

Bono has indeed made a lot of money over the last 20-plus years. He is rich.

There are, however, a lot of rich people who don't lift a finger to help the poor. If he comes off as preachy, then maybe it's because he's getting to people's consciences.

Somebody needs to preach about the developed world's relative lack of support for the hundreds of millions of people in this world who are fighting each day to have enough to eat.

Bono is preaching to people who need to be preached to. If that bothers you, turn the channel.

• Members

There are, however, a lot of rich people who don't lift a finger to help the poor. If he comes off as preachy, then maybe it's because he's getting to people's consciences.

Somebody needs to preach about the developed world's relative lack of support for the hundreds of millions of people in this world who are fighting each day to have enough to eat.
Bono is preaching to people who need to be preached to. If that bothers you, turn the channel.

So lets bomb them and pinch their oil, that will help. Or should we talk about U2 being a crap pretencious band?

• Members

speaking from an underdeveloped country, I can tell you as I see it: He makes no practical difference on the lives of poor people. Maybe he can raise some money here, help articulate some campaigns there, but hunger and poverty are problems way bigger than anything a musician could do.

People always mention his foundations as proof of his good will, but foundations are hardly the way to help millions upon millions of hungry and ill people. Deep structural changes are the only way for poor countries to rise above, and he can't do anything about that, nor any musician, for that matter. The stuff he does is merely remedial and just masks the real problems, making people avoid staring the problem in the eyes.

and his preaching is like the boy who cried wolf. people are getting sick of it, so no good will come about.

• Members

I was having a similarish conversation with my son (7 1/2) when I was driving him back from school last week, as he'd picked up on Bono a few weks ago on some music channel, and whispered to me that Bono looks "like a pillock"...he'd just learned pillock......then while listening to the radio in the car when Vertigo came on, I said to him that this was that pillock Bono.....and after a few minutes he said.....but the guitar is perrty good, so we came to the conclusion that Bono was a pillock but that maybe Larry, Edge and Adam were OK....kids...they're great

Sounds to me like a particularly excellent job of parenting

• Members

Bono, that pretentious, mindless and self proclaimed saviour of the world and {censored} like that, the excrement of a worm bestows higher wisdom than the ramblings of this idiot and I will not even discuss the worthlessness of U2...mindless {censored}ing worms. I pity and laugh at the fools who even listen to them. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Members

Bono is just a mindless attention whore I shall gnaw upon his decaying flesh and so my mind shall be forever purged!!!! I dont need a mindless insect to tell me about Africa, infants and {censored} like that. STFU!!!

• Members
I'm not a huge U2 superfan or anything, but I don't necessarily understand all the U2 hate. A pontificating lead singer is nothing new to rock. For a band to be putting out relevant music for 25+ years is pretty impressive in itself, even if you think the lead singer is a prat. What makes people HATE U2 rather than just ignore?

You can add Bruce Springsteen to the list of artists that wastes good concert time on politics.

• Members

I'd like to know when there became an entry fee for having an opinion?

Most of us would need to keep our mouths shut.

None at all. Everyone is totally free to say whatever they want. And I'm totally free to point out the utter {censored}in hypocrisy of people who criticize someone for doing at least some good while most likely doing {censored} all themselves.

Archived