U2 hate

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know about U2.

Bono is obviously a egotistical, self-important twat, and they are responsible for some of the worst 'songs' ever put on record (That 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own' {censored}e).

But occasionally they come up with a track, like Vertigo, that makes you think they really can do it when they want to...

Stu

• Moderators

I don't know about U2.

Bono is obviously a egotistical, self-important twat, and they are responsible for some of the worst 'songs' ever put on record (That 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own' {censored}e).

But occasionally they come up with a track, like
Vertigo
, that makes you think they really can do it when they want to...

Stu

I was having a similarish conversation with my son (7 1/2) when I was driving him back from school last week, as he'd picked up on Bono a few weks ago on some music channel, and whispered to me that Bono looks "like a pillock"...he'd just learned pillock......then while listening to the radio in the car when Vertigo came on, I said to him that this was that pillock Bono.....and after a few minutes he said.....but the guitar is perrty good, so we came to the conclusion that Bono was a pillock but that maybe Larry, Edge and Adam were OK....kids...they're great

I was having a similarish conversation with my son (7 1/2) when I was driving him back from school last week, as he'd picked up on Bono a few weks ago on some music channel, and whispered to me that Bono looks "like a pillock"...he'd just learned pillock......then while listening to the radio in the car when Vertigo came on, I said to him that this was that pillock Bono.....and after a few minutes he said.....but the guitar is perrty good, so we came to the conclusion that Bono was a pillock but that maybe Larry, Edge and Adam were OK....kids...they're great

:lol:

Love kids!

• Members

I'm not a huge U2 superfan or anything, but I don't necessarily understand all the U2 hate. A pontificating lead singer is nothing new to rock. For a band to be putting out relevant music for 25+ years is pretty impressive in itself, even if you think the lead singer is a prat. What makes people HATE U2 rather than just ignore?

• Moderators

I'm not a huge U2 superfan or anything, but I don't necessarily understand all the U2 hate. A pontificating lead singer is nothing new to rock. For a band to be putting out relevant music for 25+ years is pretty impressive in itself, even if you think the lead singer is a prat. What makes people HATE U2 rather than just ignore?

Oh {censored}in lighten up:facepalm:

Deconstruction time, students.

Here's an example of an excellent post that offers opinion:

I think they are an easy target for people who have nothing constructive to offer.

Pay special attention to the line, "people who have nothing to offer."

I have never understood why that type of response is considered appropriate in any forum. Linking dislike for Bono with people who are considered useless can't possibly contribute to the discussion and only sets the stage for snide if not vehement retaliation.

That's considered poor debate form.

My response. Bono is a self serving twit, who occasionally does some good in the world. But he makes damn sure everybody in said world is aware that Bono did something good.

There. I made a response without challenging any other posters intelligence, politics, or mores.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

• Members

Deconstruction time, students.

Here's an example of an excellent post that offers opinion:

Here's an example of a post meant to jab and cause friction:

Pay special attention to the line, "people who have nothing to offer."

I have never understood why that type of response is considered appropriate in any forum. Linking dislike for Bono with people who are considered useless can't possibly contribute to the discussion and only sets the stage for snide if not vehement retaliation.

That's considered poor debate form.

My response. Bono is a self serving twit, who occasionally does some good in the world.
But he makes damn sure everybody in said world is aware that Bono did something good.

There. I made a response without challenging any other posters intelligence, politics, or mores.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

I quite agree.

My point on Bono is similar to yours. Not only does he make sure that the world is aware of Bono - he makes damn sure that U2 remain topical inbetween albums as well.

Quite deliberate and clever ... or annoying, depending on your point of view.

• Members

Um..."pillock"?

I've never been a fan, but we rented "Rattle and Hum" as part of my 13 year old daughter's continueing music education (she loves all things 80's and British). Have to admit I enjoyed it more than expected, though mostly because of Edge.

• Members

I'm not a U2 fan really, and I agree that Bono can come off a bit preachy but the guy really is passionate about his causes and has done alot of good. The other guys in U2 are his boyhood friends and they understand that U2 has the ability to change things. Bono can get meetings with world leaders, something your average musician could or would never do.

• Members

I hate how Bono takes fifteen minutes out of their live show to preach and pontificate when the band could be playing three more songs instead.

Yeah - it totally sucks how he inconveniences us by asking us to sacrifice a few minutes of entertainment to listen to how people elsewhere in the world suffer horribly from disease/poverty/oppression. I hate it when they intrude on my bubble. :rolleyes:

There, see how the last two comments by scott944 and andthisgoesto11 added to the discussion without causing the internet version of a highway accident complete with rubber-neckers slowing down traffic to view the gore.

Being witty isn't the equivalent of putting someone down for possession of a disagreeable opinion.

Don Rickles shtick, was different. He put people down regardless of their opinions. While he was funny, I would have to be constantly banning his ass.

• Members

Yeah - it totally sucks how he inconveniences us by asking us to sacrifice a few minutes of entertainment to listen to how people elsewhere in the world suffer horribly from disease/poverty/oppression. I hate it when they intrude on my bubble.
:rolleyes:

Hmm. I'm might be crazy, but I think people pay huge tix prices for U2 shows to hear music. Not to hear about suffrage of the world. God forbid I pay $100+ for tickets and don't wanna hear some douchebag spout political ignorance/naivety from a stage.

• Members

My prob with Bono has to do with his frakkin hypocrisy -- he's always on at governments to do more for the world's poor (which they SHOULD, of course), but he keeps his (and the band's) stupefying wealth in offshore tax shelters so the Irish government gets an absolute minimal contribution from him to the country's health, education and welfare.

Plus his voice, of course.

Shame: the three instrumental U2ers make a wonderful noise and I totally admire all of them, especially The Edge, whom I rate right up there with Johnny Marr (who also, come to think of it, did so much great playing and writing in a band with a massively irritating lead singer).

Archived