U2 hate

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Yeah - it totally sucks how he inconveniences us by asking us to sacrifice a few minutes of entertainment to listen to how people elsewhere in the world suffer horribly from disease/poverty/oppression. I hate it when they intrude on my bubble.
:rolleyes:

I didn't pay to hear the clown run his trap, I paid to see U2 play their music. That is, if I were ever to pay to see U2.

By that standard, U2 shouldn't tour and they should ask the audience to forego seeing them and just donate the ticket price to some Africa-related cause.

Plus Ticketmaster "service fees," "facility fees" and "convenience fees" of course.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My prob with Bono has to do with his frakkin hypocrisy -- he's always on at governments to do more for the world's poor (which they SHOULD, of course), but he keeps his (and the band's) stupefying wealth in offshore tax shelters so the Irish government gets an absolute minimal contribution from him to the country's health, education and welfare.

Wow. When Mick Jagger pulls something like this, I can understand it. Bono though . . .

• Members

Hmm. I'm might be crazy, but I think people pay huge tix prices for U2 shows to hear music. Not to hear about suffrage of the world. God forbid I pay $100+ for tickets and don't wanna hear some douchebag spout political ignorance/naivety from a stage.

This is true. I can turn on the TV any night of the week and hear Obama do the same thing for free... :thu:

• Members

Want to help the world's poor and hungry? Use your money, time, and effort to overthrow the dictators who control their people by using food and medical aid as a political weapon.

Yes that's a good idea....an even better one would be use your votes and stop supporting western politicians who use your tax dollars to send weapons to these dictators so their countries can remain "friendly" to multinational corporations....ie sources of cheap labor.

I do admit that I agree with CSM's original post about U2 and their tax evasion. That's pretty {censored}in lame...and it sound's like they are just making excuses about it. Hypocrites on some levels for sure.

But again, it is STILL better that Bono's a tax evader who does something than a tax evader who does nothing.

I also find it funny that people get so worked up over Bono's tax evasion yet say little or nothing about corporations who tax evade to an amount that would make U2 look like angels.....Tax evaders that have DIRECT affects on the very people posting in these threads.

There is a pretty right wing streak on harmony central....and yet you criticize U2 for following practices that are common to multinational corporations.."free market" philosophies...following cheap tax rates and high returns where ever they maybe...consequences be damned. Well you can't have it both ways can you? If U2 are wrong for doing it then so are you if you invest in any kind of funds or banks that invest YOUR money into business that follow this very practice.

Really most of you should be applauding U2 for being good little corporatist citizens...taking part in the "global economy". Funny how leftist some of you get if it supports your argument.

----------------

You know what really funny is if John Lennon were alive today you guys would be saying the same {censored} about him. You'd probably be saying what a {censored} song give peace a chance is. He's a hypocrite and a self righteous piece of {censored} etc.....He was even more left than Bono.

As for Bill Baily...LOL what a joke that guy is....can't even hide the bitterness in his voice......just sour grapes cause he probably had rock star dreams when he was younger but was never good enough....now he's old bald and bitter....and wants to take it out on people he thinks he's got more talent than.....sad...

• Members

I didn't pay to hear the clown run his trap, I paid to see U2 play their music. That is, if I were ever to pay to see U2.

By that standard, U2 shouldn't tour and they should ask the audience to forego seeing them and just donate the ticket price to some Africa-related cause.

Plus Ticketmaster "service fees," "facility fees" and "convenience fees" of course.

Wait a minute. You're upset over corporate ticket fees -- I get it. I am, too.

Now think about it: how do we fight that injustice? One way is to talk about it, post our grievance on message boards. If we're rock stars, just maybe we use the bully pulpit to spread awareness and ask our audience to care.

Communication is key to making changes, and that is what Bono does best.

Can he do it alone? No. Is it his fault that some {censored}ty third world country is still a {censored}ty third-world country? No. Has he made a difference? Probably. Definitely more than most people. He's certainly making an effort.

What I find confounding about this thread is not they myriad trolls who have crawled out of the murk to feed the negativity, but the ordinarily decent folk who appear to actually hate a man who has made a serious effort to make a difference.

Yes, he's flamboyant. Yes he's in-your-face. Yes, he fights for the underdog.

Isn't that what rock and roll is all about?

Archived