Small Tube amp advice needed.

slodge

• Members

I put this up in "Amps," but I thought I'd see what folks over here have to say:

I hope to be in the market for a small, relatively inexpensive tube amp in the not too distant future, and am looking to educate myself.

Currently, I'm playing through a mid 80's Yorkville Bloc50GS, using a digitech RP300 as an amp modeler. I also use a Microcube sometimes, and I have a Fender Gdec that's essentially a fun toy.

The Yorkville gives me a decent clean tone, and the OD channel isn't horrible if used sparingly. I also have several OD pedals, including the Bad Monkey and the Blues Driver.

On the modelers, I spend most of my time on "Tweed-like" settings, "Brit/Vox" settings and "Crunch," and these are the types of tones I'm looking for in an amp.

What I'm looking for is a tube amp that'll give me good tone in the bedroom without shaking the house apart, and that can also be taken to a buddy's garage/basement on occasion.

I'm looking to put together a list of amps to start trying - Right now the list consists of the Peavey Valve King and Windsor, The Fender Blues Jr. and the less expensive Epiphones.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Most of the little 5-Watt rigs lack separate "Gain" and "Master" channels, which means you'll have wimpy-clean only (volume at 2) in the bedroom, and way-overdriven only (volume at 8-10) in the garage with a drummer and bassist.

Still, if you are dirt poor you can still get the Crate V5 at some Best Buy's on clearance for $99. At that price, you could always afford to put a Tube Screamer in front of it in the bedroom, and mic it to the PA with the band.

It seems like it's been a while since those Pignose G40V's were being blown out online, but you can occasionally score one for $200 on Craigslist or the Spam thread here. Good sound for a 1x10, and VERY easy to tote around.

From the stuff you play, I'm betting you would be happiest with the 1x12" Peavey Classic or Fender Blues Jr. (The Peavey is basically a Fender clone with less "sparkly" cleans. I actually prefer the sound of the Peavey, even though it's slightly cheaper.) Good luck getting a used model of either for less than $350, though. They are very popular with certain kinds of players, and used listings for them never last long.

If you're considering the Windsor Studio combo, look at the used market first. There are A LOT of people who bought them who were unhappy with the "boxiness" of the sound coming out of the speaker, especially with the attenuator in use. It really shines when you use the D.I., either live or for recording, but if you mostly care about the sound coming out of the combo itself, it is a tricky one to dial in. I occasionally see them on Craigslist in my town for as little as $250.

Oh, and don't dismiss Traynor combos out of hand. The closer you live to Canada, the easier (and cheaper) they are to find. Boutique quality, usually at a reasonable price.

• Members

Super Champ XD seems like what you are looking for.

Those are nice, and I've tried and liked them. My issue is that I have a few modelling devices, and I'm sorta looking to put money into something basic that I can use straight up or run an OD pedal through. But they are still on my list, which gets longer by the minute.

• Members

Budget?

Used Peavey Classic 30 ($400)

Used Vox AC 15 ($450)

Used Fender DRRI ($650)

I'm gonna say below $500, and the further below I can get, the happier I'll be.

I'm perfectly willing to be a little patient and shop the used market for a bargain, but I know I'm not gonna get something that's gonna make me happy for $50. (without some phenomenal stroke of luck)

• Members

I'm gonna say below $500, and the further below I can get, the happier I'll be.

I'm perfectly willing to be a little patient and shop the used market for a bargain, but I know I'm not gonna get something that's gonna make me happy for $50. (without some phenomenal stroke of luck)

1x12 Peavey Classic 30

4x10 Peavey Classic 50

Fender Blues Jr.

Snap up the first used one of these you see on Craigslist for $300 or so, and you'll be set for life, as far as a combo goes. Nicely voiced to cut through everything on stage, a decent Accutronic reverb built in, good cleans, great crunch, and rather versatile controls.

Personally, I have zero intention to buy another combo until a sensational deal on one of these falls into my lap. (Preferably the Classic, so I can use the same footswitch from my 50W head.)

• Members

Nice! I liked the look of these in the NAMM reports; certainly sounds great. I fancy maybe during the next 18 months treating myself to a nice little tube amp, I've been looking at the Blackhearts, though if ever I was to think about gigging, one of those with a tweedy 4x10" would be a real barrel of fun....

• Members

I'm going to suggest you'll need at least 10 watts if you want to play with a drummer and have any kind of semi-clean sound. 5W just won't give you clean at that level.

I'd quite seriously look at thw Tiny Terror that was suggested, likewise that night train. You might also have a look at Ceriatone to see if hey had a design you fancied. It's probably out of your range, but I'd look for an 18 watt clone - you might find one used for a decent price, and they can be utterly fabulous.

• Members

Superchamp XD has a great clean channel that you can run your pedals into and use them for effects, but it is also nice when you don't want to mess with the pedals and just dial a nice tone in on the amp itself. It sounds better than anything I have owned and I have owned several amps.

• Members

If you can find one, a vintage Supro Super 108. Volume increases up to the halfway mark, but after that it's just the thick sweet stuff. I picked up a '59 on Ebay a couple of years ago for $260 (US) with all the work done on her, just plug and play. Classic Champ tube lineup: 12Ax7, 5Y3 and 6V6, but, IMO, better tone.

Supro.JPG

Also thumbs up for the Gibson GA5........

Archived