"Rock" Versions of Christmas Carols - Just Plain Wrong?

Anderton

• Members

I do very much like what Phil Spector did with his stable of singers in 1963.... The Ronettes, The Chiffons, Darlene Love, et.al.

But things like Mannheim Steamroller and that strange orchestra from Germany (or France?) that does hard-rocking versions of Xmas carols... those don't do too much for me...

• Members

I dunno, they don't do anything for me. Seems kinda weird, y'know?

Fully agreed. Every time I hear one I just wonder why they bother. The tunes don't really rock, and they don't add to the Christmas spirit IMHO. I guess there are plenty that like it though because every year we get bombarded with the stuff.

• Members

But things like Mannheim Steamroller and that strange orchestra from Germany (or France?) that does hard-rocking versions of Xmas carols... those don't do too much for me...

I think you're like the only one. Everyone else can't seem to get enough of it. People go nuts over Trans Siberian Orchestra.

I walked out of the commons area of the mall today and into a store. The mall had one version of White Christmas playing, the store had another. I could walk in and out of the store to do a compare/contrast.

• Members

Mostly. Though I once heard a metal version of "The Sugar Plum Fairie" from The Nutcracker that seemed altogether appropriate. It got old like anything else after a while. But at first it was right on time. Can't remember who that was... wasn't TSO, though they have it by now probably.

Dee da dee dee duka dee duka dee Dee Dee daku dee dudee dadee da.

:rawk:

• Members

I
do
very much like what Phil Spector did with his stable of singers in 1963.... The Ronettes, The Chiffons, Darlene Love, et.al.

Darlene Love continues this in a Letterman tradition - this is from 1995

[YOUTUBE]Mbzhrjz_gVc[/YOUTUBE]

Youtube has them from several years. The Spector original is under 3 minutes.

• Members

I don't mean to sound like a scrooge here, but I generally get sick of Christmas carols period. Well actually, I don't mind sounding like a scrooge at all. It's one of my favorite things. It all started back when my daughter was about eight and I decided I was through crawling on the roof to put up lights. She looked at me and said she was going to move in with the neighbors if I was going to be a scrooge. I've been a scrooge ever since and she still lives at home. Damn. Once you have kids you can't get rid of them.

• Moderators

How about an emaciated Bowie, coming down off a 3 week coke high, singing with Bing 'round the fire? THAT'S CHRISTMAS!!!

"If we get through this alive Bing... I'll show you a white Christmas!"

I agree about the Spector stuff. Great. Never liked Da Boss doing Santa. Mannheim Yawnroller, I'll pass as well. Siberian Nap Orchestrators too.

I do like Please Come Home For Christmas (thanks Taylor Davis for reminding me) as done by Johnny Winter or Jerry Reed. And even Maria Carey's homage to Spector from a few years back was actually pretty good. Not a Carey fan but I liked the nod from her.

But anything with heavy guitars? No way.

• Members

After having seen them twice -- and actually the first time around was enough -- I really learned to hate the one-trick pony Dickies.

But, that said, I still have a soft spot for their version of "Silent Night." Sometimes a song is just so wrong... it's right.

I'll have to agree with Lee on Bowie/Bing... it's totally irresistible to me. If they could have only got Klaus Nomi in there, too, doing back ups...

With regard to Mannheim Steamroller... I always had a grudging respect for his chutzpah and sound commercial sense. Here was a guy who sounded like me when I try to pick out some half-remembered but yet overly familiar (how's that work?) melody but miss it by many reharmonization points and he turned it into a very remunerative cottage industry, churning out album after album after album of cheezy synth music that sounded like familiar Christmas carols until you listened a little closer, allowing him to grab full songwriting rights.

It was a little like when I used to wander through the mall during an "art show," marvelling at the high prices on very low art and thinking to myself -- I could have painted that cheezy ocean sunset and be asking way too much for it...

• Members

Yeah, they usually suck. I like the more traditional Christmas carols done by choirs and orchestras and stuff.

Every once in awhile there's a good rock Christmas song... but usually... not so much.

I do believe the Beatles had a good Christmas song..now I'll try to think of a second good rock Christmas song..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................oh well, gotta go, shopping to do.

nat whilk ii

Archived