Do I really need 24 frets?

Beckman

• Members

no

and my biggest inspirations were george lynch and randy rhoads.

I've had guitars with 24 frets and imo, they were very awkward to play. 21 frets is good, 22 frets is best, 24 frets is not necessary and just gets in the way.

Gets in the way?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A downside of having 24 frets is that it pushed the neck pickup closer to the bridge and away from the octave, which is a sweet spot for tone and harmonics.

...until you fret a note, then the sweet spot is gone forever

• Members

no

and my biggest inspirations were george lynch and randy rhoads.

I've had guitars with 24 frets and imo, they were very awkward to play. 21 frets is good, 22 frets is best, 24 frets is not necessary and just gets in the way.

What do you mean by "gets in the way?" I've had 24 fret guitars and even though I ended up never using the 23rd and 24th fret, they never really got in the way...they were just kind of there.

• Members

It depends on your style, I make use of the 23 and 24th frets regularly.

Some guys just do chords and rarely, if ever, go past the 12th fret. If you are really into scales then 24 frets can be cool. Satriani, who is a scale monster, made his guitar to only have 22 frets.

I like to having at least one of each.

Some people will say the the longer neck interferes with the neck pickups ability to read some of the harmonics that are really sweet around where the 23 and 24 fret are. Maybe so, i look at it like 24 frets can offer a different sound is all.

Anyway, to say, "need" I think not, but you very well might want 24 frets. If you do, go for it!

• Members

Out of 4 electrics, 2 are 24, 2 are 22.. 24 frets give you exactly 2 notes more than a 22 fret guitar. Doesn't seem like much, does it? The real advantage to a 24 fret guitar is that they generally are designed with easier upper fret access in mind.. Deeper cutaway, easier heel, etc.. In my playing, I hit the 24th fret about 2 times a year, but I still love a 24 fret guitar.

• Members

29 frets FTW!

No, 36 frets FTW :thu:

sky-guitar.jpg

To the OP, I love 24 frets, but I'm used to having two octaves, 22 fret guitars always seem to come short.

If you wanna go try Vai I'd go 24, but I own a jem and I'm biased :)

Either way a good player can make any guitar work

• Members

It isn't really about "need," is it? Most of that stuff you can play with fewer frets.

Personally I really don;t like playing guitars without 24 frets - not so much to hit the "ultimate high notes" but more for the ability to scale and analyze who/what/where/why to play which mode and knowing I can go multiple octaves makes the analysis easier.

Plus - it's easier to reach the 22nd fret this way not to mention the 24th fret

• Members

I went to GC and tried a bunch of Guitars. Some with 24, some with 22. I don't know how much I would use the 23 and 24th fret. However, it was interesting having them.

I played a Ibanez JS100, RG320, Washburn Mercury 120, G&L Tribute, and 2 PRS, a schecter or two. I hate to say, I really liked the PRS, but those are way out of my price range. These were all used. I have more to play. I have a problem of liking everything.

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by p4vl

I have a question about 22 vs. 24: Is the space between frets on a 22-fret 25.5 to that of a 24-fret 25.5 greater?

Same scale, same space between frets, just 2 less frets.

These are the differences that stick out to me...

Location of the neck pickup: some consider tonal advantages with 22 fret placement (which is subjective) and the two buckers being closer together takes a little getting used to.

Two extra notes: obvious advantage with 24, although a slight one

Upper fret access: if your 22 fretter gives you unfettered access to everything up to the 17th, easy access up to the 19th, and slightly barred access up to the 22nd, the same design with 24 frets gives you unfettered up to the 19th, easy access to the 21st and slightly barred access to the 24th. So even if you never play past the 22nd, it's easier to reach the high notes on a 24 fretter.

• Members

A downside of having 24 frets is that it pushed the neck pickup closer to the bridge and away from the octave, which is a sweet spot for tone and harmonics.

just because this "fact" gets posted over and over again in forums doesn't mean it there is any truth in it.

1) 24 fret PRS guitars have a sweet sounding nech pickup

2) the "fact" would only apply to open strings (already stated)

3) the nodes (12th fret, 7th fret, 5th fret/24th fret) are points with no vibration in this partial

Archived