OT: Do you have a GUN?

Kaux

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

75% of the folks in jail here are foreigners.

Watch out what you say onhere Angelo.

80% of the population in jails here is foreigner or immigrant also.

While only 20% of our country's population consists of foreigners and immigrants.

Some say the crime-rate under immigrants and foreigners is 4 times higher.

That is very dangerous to say because people label you if you express yourself like that.

Maybe our country only convicts immigrants and foreigners?

I think it's a pact to get all foreign elements of the streets.

Some political parties here want all foreigners and refugees out. They say that if that happens 80% of the jails will be empty and crime-rates drop faster than Dow-Jones.

Back on subject.

There's a Beretta 92 FS in my home,...everyone that enters gets a round in his skull. No warning. Every one that enters without permisson that is lol.

Would be a pile up of people if I just killed anyone that walks in.

There's some baseballbats lying around also. People might think I'm paranoid but in my city it's not safe anymore to walk the streets after 10 at night if you're alone. There's a lot of robberies in homes at the moment and they rob your home while your in it and sometimes kill the people who live there.

• Members

If you do get a gun -- by
all means
, please take a formal course in gun safety.

A shotgun and some shooting instruction -- enough for both of you to get comfortable with the weapon. Also you need to drill to be able to get it unlocked and loaded quickly. If you're really going to be serious about having a firearm for protection.

I recommend the NRA First Steps Handgun Orientation,Class...well worth the price.

• Members

My Texas dad used to say:

"If you're gonna keep a gun in your house, prepare to have it shoved up your ass by the intruder."

This is true. My dad used to say never pull a gun on someone unless you know you can shoot it without hesitation and never shoot it unless you know you can kill someone. Pulling a gun to scare someone is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Thinking you can just 'wing' them is almost as stupid. That's how people get killed with their own weapons.

On the other hand, where I live is a concealed carry state and we have a very high rate of permits issued. There is a marked decrease in home invasions and robberies since we adopted the law 15 years ago.

A few years back a guy tried to stick up a store and two customers drew down on him and held him until police arrived.:facepalm:

• Members

Wow! you know about the guatemala-USA history?

There's definitely a few of us who know about the "death squads", and yeah, I'm sorry it happened too.

I also agree with blue2blue and Lukenwalker's point that if you are going to get a handgun to take a gun safety class.

• Members

"...Pulling a gun to scare someone is one of the dumbest ideas ever...."

I've done it. It worked. It won't work every time. But I thank God it worked for me. If it hadn't, I would have killed him. In my my situation - it was definitely not a dumb idea.

He had a baseball bat. I had a Ruger .357 Magnum.

He was charging at my pick-up truck and presumably,

me also.

• Members

If it hadn't,
I would have killed him

That's the difference. I meant pulling an unloaded gun or a BB gun, or even a loaded gun when you aren't prepared to shoot it, to try to scare someone. Of course a weapon can be a deterrent to someone bent on harming you, but if it isn't, you'd better be ready to take the next step or you're likely to pay for it.

• Members

"...Pulling a gun to scare someone is one of the dumbest ideas ever...."

I've done it. It worked. It won't work every time. But I thank God it worked for me. If it hadn't, I would have killed him.

I think it may be a difference in terms. I think (my read on his statement) Bluestrat is talking about people who aren't absolutely sure they aren't bluffing...you were sure I would have killed him.

Your hesitation sounds more tactical as opposed to emotional ('back off, or I will kill you' the fact as opposed to 'I...I..I have g-gun!' the mere threat)

[edit : whoops sorry crosspost]

• Members
A few years back a guy tried to stick up a store and
two
customers drew down on him and held him until police arrived.
:facepalm:

I witnessed something similar but crazier.
I come from an old neighbourhood where familes have lived for centuries and everybody knows eachother. 20 yards away from my elderly home there's this bar that for 90% is populated by mobsters and criminals. They all work together,..there's fences,hitmen,guys who run lotteries and do in marihuana and stuff.
One day I was about 19 years old I was drinking a beer at the bar with about 20 of those guys,..some were my nephews ,most of them are from our neighbourhood,...everyone knows everyone.

And,...everyone carries a gun,...

The door opens and this heroin junkie comes in. Walks to the bar,...draws a gun and says:" money man,..I need yo money",...

I look at him and so does the bartender(who starts smiling).
I tell the Junie to look around and turn around to watch what's happening,...
He turns around and sees about 20 guys with drawn guns all pointed at him,.whahahaha I never saw someone look so frightened in my life,...
He turned around his gun,...gave it to the bartender and said : "Have a goodnight everyone,.." and then he ran to the door,...

We never saw him again.

Sometimes when I'm at my parents house I walk to the bar and everytime 'm there someone brings up that ridiculous story,...

It was one of those things that only happen in movies but I swear it's the truth,...

Booshy

• Members

You need at least one Gun but first I would get 2 dogs and Fortify the {censored} out of your place. As far as your stuff, who cares ya know but all too often these home invasions can lead to people being murdered so I would have your bedroom or another room set up as a safe room incase the dogs alert you that someone is trying to get in and you have time to put your family in there. Myself, I would blast anyone trying to get into my house because I have to assume they are there to kill me. Nice Scatter Gun and a Handgun in a fast access safe next to your head. Plus the dogs, better door, locked windows, alarm...you'll be in good shape.

PS..I have been in 2 situations that I have pulled and fired my weapon...Once was at a carload of people chasing me on I95 trying to run me down for no reason whatsoever and the other one was when a gun came out and was aimed at an army buddy at a party.....BOTH times the Gun saved me and Both times I laid down suppressive Fire not to kill but to get away. If I were cornered though I would have killed them without hesitation.

• Members

For home protection i would suggest a couple cans of bear spray and a baseball bat. Less blood on the walls and a better physical work out.
Also after you are done breaking the intruders bones and skull you can have peace of mind for the rest of your life that you destroyed another human's body, just like yours, without the cheap help of a firearm. You will also probably get less jail time because the jury will be more compassionate that you defended yourself with your hands more or less, and you may get off with just manslaughter.
Or you could move, or get a home security system.

• Members

you destroyed another human's body, just like yours,

Just like mine? What if his body was trying to hurt mine?

I just love these moral equivalence arguments that omit things like guilt, innocence and intent.

And by the way, if you think bludgeoning someone to death with a baseball bat is less messy than a single headshot, you're insane.

A better workout? If I want to work out I'll go to the gym. If I want to protect my life and property I'll do it quickly and efficiently. No need to work up a sweat over a scumbag.

• Members

He had a baseball bat. I had a Ruger .357 Magnum.

He was charging at my pick-up truck and presumably,

me also.

Reminds me of that famous scene in INDIANA JONES, in which the native warriors approach Indy, waving some fearsom native nanchakus or something.

He just blithely pulls a revolver and wastes 'em. :lol:

• Members

I am all for the 'love your brother' mentality...

But there are times and places when it just does not apply, and with the number of people running around now doing bad things, I lean towards 'everyone packing' than outlawing guns..

If I ever had to kill someone or shoot someone, it would be painful for me after wards morally. But the attackers cross a line, and give up their humanity if they are threatening you. At that point, to me, they become a predator, and I have the responsibility and right to protect myself from harm.

• Members
Two rifles. I want to get another handgun and a concealed carry permit.

An 18" shotgun is the best bet for home protection. You don't need to be a great shot to get results and usually just the sound of racking the round will get the attention of the perp and cause him to beat feet out of there.

10.jpg

I agree with you about racking the round in the shotgun, Our handguns are in 'point and shoot' , always a round in the chamber for two reasons, my wife has a hard time pulling back the slide on her Kel -tec 9mm a little easier time with her Kel-tec 380, with a round chambered you'll start with a full mag, you might need that last round in the chamber.
If any of your wives or girlfriends are thinking of owning a reliable, lightweight, reasonably priced hand gun I would say a Kel-tec is a good choice...they are made in The US, Cocoa FL.
BTW, womaen are traditional better shots than men, at least that's what they tell you at NRA First Steps Handgun Orientation course.:thu:

• Members
There's definitely a few of us who know about the "death squads", and yeah, I'm sorry it happened too.

I also agree with blue2blue and Lukenwalker's point that if you are going to get a handgun to take a gun safety class.

Thanks for the advices. Well i have dealt with a lot of americans, and you are the first two that know something about the guatemalan mess the USA caused. Death Squads is very polite to describe the situation that ocurred here in Guatemala, it was much worse than that. And we now have all this unemployed soldiers and from the guerillas army putting the country in a caotic violence. There even ex military commandos now working for the organized crime, the famous Kaibiles. You can see these people now serving as bodyguards or hitmen for the organized crime, they carry M16s, AK47s and even Tavors and automatic gunshots in the streets. All of these weapons are ilegal for civileans...:facepalm:

The one who entered my house was obviosly and young idiot, not a guerrilla commander, but i live in the most peaceful part of my country.

Thanks for yout words again.

• Members
Thanks for the advices. Well i have dealt with a lot of americans, and you are the first two that know something about the guatemalan mess the USA caused. Death Squads is very polite to describe the situation that ocurred here in Guatemala, it was much worse than that. And we now have all this unemployed soldiers and from the guerillas army putting the country in a caotic violence. There even ex military commandos now working for the organized crime, the famous
Kaibiles
. You can see these people now serving as bodyguards or hitmen for the organized crime, they carry M16s, AK47s and even Tavors and automatic gunshots in the streets. All of these weapons are ilegal for civileans...
:facepalm:

The one who entered my house was obviosly and young idiot, not a guerrilla commander, but i live in the most peaceful part of my country.

Thanks for yout words again.

Yes, when the people are disarmed you have classical Tyranny. You are living in it. My suggestion is to move.

• Members

And, though I know it's worse in Salvador, I also know you have a problem with the Guatemalan refugees who came to the US as youngsters and learned how to organize in street gangs and have now been deported back to a homeland they barely knew... and I know the results have not been good.

PS... with
re
apologies, I can only speak for myself. But
I
consider the funding of death squads and the history of funding, aiding, and organizing coups and anti-democratic forces in Central and South America (not to mention funding and arming monsters like Saddam Hussein in his war on Iran and his own people) to be a dark, dark stain on recent US history -- and every time I hear someone touting the supposed positive qualities of the US presidents who fostered and promoted those policies, it
turns my gut.

In el Salvador, wich is next to Guatemala was as bad as it was in here. The problem in El Salvador is that the Guerrilla almost defeated the goverment so the war was more extended. In Guatemala frontal combats were in jungles, of course there were people living there, and those are the ones who suffered the most. The guerrilla had schools, and they would stole children and started teaching them their doctrine since they were 5 or 6 years old. They would teach them match with things like "if i have 5 guns and the soldiers steals 2, how many gus do i have left?"... can you imagine who those people are now?

I am going to say something, but first... I am NOT anti yankee. Having said that, i can understand why some people could think those policies were positive. After all, those policies are in part why the USA is as strong as it is today. And I dont hate them for that...I mean, i guess any country in the USA's place, or any other president in the american presitent's place would have done the same.

My wife worked in the UN program that gives the civil war victims an indemnization, so they could restart they life. You could hear really horrible things from the victims.

At least it is a relief that some americans, spanish or british could know about the cost of what they can have today.

• Members

Know yourself. You might be justified shooting someone who kicked down your door to gain access. You are not justified shooting him in the back while he's carrying away your stereo. Legally, morally and ethically you are generally obliged to not shoot. Unless your life is in danger.

Just thought I'd point out that even in the liberal state of NY, it's legal to use deadly physical force when one has reason to believe it's necessary to "prevent or terminate a burglary" - those are the EXACT words in the NYS Penal Law - and you'll notice they don't say ANYTHING about requiring your life to be "in danger"...

Truth is, nearly every state in the US has a similarly written law - and regardless of their intentions, when someone has broken into your home, you and your family ARE in danger... Please don't spread misinformation about such an important subject...

- georgestrings

Archived