New SX headstock= Thumbs down!

keNz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the old one and the new one. Or, more accurately, I don't mind them. They would not be a deal-breaker for me if I was in the market for a sub-$200 guitar. I've never been a tele guy, but I really like that one in the OP. Maybe because I'm a sucker for the white/maple combo.

• Members
Here's another example of a guitar where the headstock completely ruins the aesthetic. None of the visual elements of the body are reflected in the shape.

fulcrumpink4.jpg

I disagree with you on that one. They only have so much leeway with headstocks on those before getting those legal orders to stop. I think they probably were going for an Ibanez style. I really like the Fulcrum in, of course, pink. I'm kinda diggin' the white one too.

• Members

Which nut did you change it to? Looks interesting, like you took a graphite nut, cut a groove in it and placed a metal bar across the groove, then slotted it for strings.

It's not quite as elaborate as you describe. Its a flat piece of brass mated (i.e. JB Welded) to a graphtech nut blank, then ground to size.

• Members
DSC_1295.jpg

Looks like the Jay Turser "dolphin-style" headstock on their Teles & Strats

I did this to a Douglas, kinda, sorta like a Tele ... not enough meat where I needed it but close:

Before douglasheadstockmm2.jpg

During pict0033rl4.jpg

After 1000117lp0.jpg

• Members

Looks like the Jay Turser "dolphin-style" headstock on their Teles & Strats

I did this to a Douglas, kinda, sorta like a Tele ... not enough meat where I needed it but close:

I kinda like the headstock on the Turser Tele. Just generic enough to not get letters from The Big F, but still has some style to it. I love their rosewood Tele :drool:

I like what you did with the Douglas headstock, other than the Fender logo. Are the frets on that neck a bit narrow or is it just the limited view I see? That's one thing I love about the SX necks - the nice, meaty frets.

• Members

I always thought Fender ripped off that headstock from a guitar from the forties. I think it was a Bigsby custom built for Merle Travis. I might look around and see if I can find it and post a link but probably not since I`m a lazy bastard.

edit: I forgot to quote, but I am referring to some comments on the first page of this thread. I didn`t notice that this thread was four pages long. Sorry.

Archived