New SX headstock= Thumbs down!

keNz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

After spending a little time on the Rondo site... I must change my ways and agree that the new headstock is a real FAIL. It just doesn't measure up to the nice old one. If I had never seen the old one... but comparing the two it is a step down. Most their guitars don't appear to be that dark stained on the neck though which is good.

• Members

the reality is, of course, if Leo Fender had used that design in the fifties, and what we know as the Fender design was the new sx design.... folks would have still been queuing up today to bitch about how hideous the new sx design was compared to the Fender original. :lol:

• Members

Wasn't there a thread a few months ago about how much the old ver sucked? I also think I like the older ver better but that probably only because its now "vintage". I like the shape of my johnson maybe best. It gives me great pleasure just to look at it. But really its how it feels in the hands that matters the most.

• Members

I didn't like the original headstock and their logo is pretty lame too. Looks like something you would get from your laser printer and a waterslide.

New Headstock + Lame Logo + Horrible finish tint = FAIL.

• Members

Oompa Loompa Doopity-Doo

I've got another riddle for you...

Holy crap, how does an Ooompa Loompa land that hot babe in the blue dress? What universe are we living in where this is possible?

• Members

Not really enough left on the headstock to even reshape it into anything decent. This is the best I could do within Paint. FAIL is correct. I hope Kurt addresses why this occured and who was responsible for this dreadful design.

15q6a8y.jpg

• Members

In reality, the Fender headstock, especially the large version. is quite awkward looking. We're just accustomed to seeing it for 60 years. It's really quite ugly with the bulbous end and barb sticking out of the bottom.

strathead.jpg

It's got a place to stick your capo without covering up the brand!

• Members

If it were just a little bit larger so it could more easily be modified, I would like it okay. Otherise, I
really
wish he'd get them to stop with the tinting. It looks way too thick and the colour is ghastly. It reminds me of toilet water when someone has thrown a bunch of cigarette butts into it and pissed a few times without flusing. That's from experience with a former roommate when I got home from a two-day trip out of town.

I'm sure he's hard at work right now designing a guitar with features often found on custom guitars for almost nothing that will be more to your liking.

Or, you could pick between being picky or being a cheap-ass like the rest of us have to. :rolleyes:

• Members

sx3.jpg

Sort of a Parker Fly. Anyone have a better photo to work with?

The best headstock designs actually have some inherent DESIGN built into them. A lot of the cheaper guitars just hack it until it doesn't cause trouble with the lawyers. In the one I did here, the angles are the same on both sides of the head. The problem is BALANCE. A good headstock design will visually balance the guitar--not to heavy, not too wimpy.

If you look at the fly, the svelte body is well balanced by the headstock and the geometry complements the body's striking visual elements.

577304.jpg

• Members

Here's another example of a guitar where the headstock completely ruins the aesthetic. None of the visual elements of the body are reflected in the shape.

fulcrumpink4.jpg

Here's a really good example of bad design.

wt460vwh4.jpg

The geometry here is better, but the headstock is too chunky for this streamlined body. It's unbalanced.

ghostpro6wh1.jpg

Rondo needs to hire John Backlund (or whatever his name is) to work on the basics.

Archived