Rondo custom shop

joseflovesyou

• Members

I never noticed it before, but currently they are taking custom shop orders. Base price is 500 dollars. Seems like it might be a cool idea, to get a full custom job, for around that price, even if it isn't the best guitar around.

Has anyone ever done this through them before? If so, how was it?

Do you think it would be worth the price? I want to submit a quote, to see how much for what i want but they charge 10 dollars for it, so im holding back

I'm thinking a silverburst LP, with a no inlay ebony fretboard. And if they would do it this way, I'd like one without any pickups, since I'd be changing them out anyway.

Also, does anyone know how often the offer this? because it says the shop is open for orders until the 14th, and i currently am not in a position to do this, money wise.

• Members

They have opened the custom shop occasionally the past year or so, maybe every 3 months or so???

Honestly if they didnt charge $10 for a quote id look into it. I refuse to pay money to see if i will give someone my business.

• Members

They have opened the custom shop occasionally the past year or so, maybe every 3 months or so???

Honestly if they didnt charge $10 for a quote id look into it. I refuse to pay money to see if i will give someone my business.

I understand where you're coming from, but also agree with the quote charge . . . I know for sure I would try a bunch of quotes just out of curiosity without any intention to purchase. I'm probably not alone either :lol:

• Members

I understand where you're coming from, but also agree with the quote charge . . . I know for sure I would try a bunch of quotes just out of curiosity without any intention to purchase. I'm probably not alone either
:lol:

But customer service should be a part of your business plan, and stuff like that creates interest. Charging for people to find out about what you offer is pretty weak

• Members

I can totally understand it with there structure. If they aren't going to offer the option all the time you couldn't hire staff to work all the quotes. Seriously they would get crushed by people just checking it out as a passing interest. I do agree with the point that I could see it being a good policy to use the 10 as a credit if you bought the guitar, but it isn't that big a deal.

Personally I'd go for it in the second if I had the cash. They're the only cheap place that does a 1 3/4 inch nut width. I can't hardly play the smaller necks. I'd probably to with an the chambered/hollow version of the AL with a wide neck, and NO binding. Dang I'm sick of seeing guitars with binding. It's probably just me, but they all just look like disco guitars or something. They used to have a model that had the natural maple faux binding, that looks nice. And anything but cherry sunburst, sick o that too. oh well I can dream.

• Members

. Seems like it might be a cool idea, to get a full custom job, for around that price, even if it isn't the best guitar around.

Has anyone ever done this through them before? If so, how was it?

Do you think it would be worth the price? I want to submit a quote, to see how much for what i want but they charge 10 dollars for it, so im holding back

I'm thinking a silverburst LP, with a no inlay ebony fretboard. And if they would do it this way, I'd like one without any pickups, since I'd be changing them out anyway.

Also, does anyone know how often the offer this? because it says the shop is open for orders until the 14th, and i currently am not in a position to do this, money wise.

So what do you get for your $500.00 ?

Can they do complete brand new custom bodies of my own design ?

• Members

If they didn't charge the $10 they would get hit up with every tire kicker on the internet. For them it would be just like trying to sell something on Craig's List. It's just a way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Right, I don't see any way they could feasibly do it without charging for a quote. Otherwise they'd accept requests for 3 days and then be putting together quotes until Thanksgiving.

• Members

Right, I don't see any way they could feasibly do it without charging for a quote. Otherwise they'd accept requests for 3 days and then be putting together quotes until Thanksgiving.

A quote isn't that hard, {censored} is standard charges. {censored}, look at carvins order form, it's automatic.

• Members

A quote isn't that hard, {censored} is standard charges. {censored}, look at carvins order form, it's automatic.

Whatever you say. Rondo is clearly trying wring every last penny out of us with those $10 quote fees. If they can get just 100,000 requests... they'll make ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!

• Members

Not a dig at all, but have you SEEN the rondomusic website? Carvin is by visual comparisons, light years ahead. You probably shouldn't make any assumptions of how "automatic" the custom form is at Rondo since they still haven't upgraded their 1998 looking design. I bet they used Netscape Composer to build it. heh. Anyways, in all likelihood the custom forms are done manually, one by one, especially with the comment field at the bottom.

• Members

Looking at their form, you could really build a completely unique guitar. However, I wonder if in the end it would be any more affordable than hiring a local luthier as those custom options will likely add up quickly...

• Members

not going to claim i support the structure one way or the other, but i will explain the "why".

back before 2007 the odd customer would email curt and ask for a special feature. it seems that on occasion he would accomodate them for a fee.

around mid 2007 it became more publically known on various forums that he was doing this, and he would just take emails one by one and deal with them. after lots of back and forth with each custoemr, a select few would actually put their money down. after a few people started posting their shiny new customs in early 2008, i think he got flooded with "tire kickers".

i think he by then had decided customs were something he wanted to do, but it wasnt very streamlined to handle alot of orders. he built the form not as an order form but more of a questionaire. the $10 to weed out people who werent serious. once you send the form, you start a dialogue and assuming you are realistic and understanding of how things work in the factory, youll find you can get quite alot for youre money.

by the mid 2008 the factory was slammed with intrepids, septers and customs, so he now only opens the shop to orders for small periods of time.

so basically, if you wont plunk down $10, you arent serious, and hes got too many customers as it is.

again, im not saying one way or the other if i support his method of doing things, but thats how it is for the moment.

as far as options go...

- it must be one of the standard agile headstocks on the form - this for trademark reasons.

- it must be one of the existing agile body shapes on the form - same reasoning i believe.

- no nitro that i know of, i think due to environmental restrictions in korea.

everything else seems to be somewhat flexible to a degree if you are willing to fork out the cash. the 50% markup is the initial pain in ass fee, and does seem to cover many "standard" changes. if you ask for something unusual, or expensive hardware i think the price escalates quickly as youd expect. the customs ive seen to date i think have all fallen between $500 and $1000.

interesting or unusual options ive seen so far:

- neck through PS styles

- oil finishes

- custom inlays

- chambered Al with funky custom f holes.

- contoured heel on an Al.

- making an 8 sting or 7 string version of a certain model.

i dont believe he has alot of wood options at the factory. ive seen recently:

- us hard ash and swamp ash.

- spalted maple (thick).

- plain and figured maple (thick).

- "mahogany" (dont ask me what kind, dont reall know).

- hard maple - for necks and fretboards.

- walnut (again, dont know what type).

- indian rosewood and black ebony for fretboards.

obviously for confirmation on these you have to talk to him, as im sure it changes from time to time.

you also need to be very brief, concise and clear dealing with kurt to ensure he actually gets it right. ive seen a few misunderstandings on orders already. make sure waht you ask for makes sense as well... for example "a neck through with a 1 piece body" may not get you what you expect.

:)

• Members

Not a dig at all, but have you SEEN the rondomusic website? Carvin is by visual comparisons, light years ahead. You probably shouldn't make any assumptions of how "automatic" the custom form is at Rondo since they still haven't upgraded their 1998 looking design. I bet they used Netscape Composer to build it. heh. Anyways, in all likelihood the custom forms are done manually, one by one, especially with the comment field at the bottom.

i would say this is an unfair comparison. Carvin has a US based factory while Rondo has a Korean based factory. I'm willing to bet it is alot easier for Carvin than it is for Rondo to get quotes or communicate in general. Besides, Carvin has been at it for quite a few years longer than Rondo.

• Members

If you don't like it don't do it. Nobody is forcing you to get a quote.

Lots of businesses charge for quotes.

Go to a good lawyer and see if he gives you a quote for free for your legal work.

Go to your doctor and see if he freely quotes you for your ailment.

• Members

Pretty cool! But I wonder why they don't just put a price next to each option the way Carvin does.

cause its not that easy.

some features wont cost extra beyond the 50% on some models, but will on others. etc etc. it depends what you start with and how drastically different the change is.

carvin on the other hand has a very streamlined and organized setup for basic custom specs on each model. maybe one day kurt will set up something like that where you can pick a syle, wood options and colours and order a "simple" custom on the spot.

• Members

so basically, if you wont plunk down $10, you arent serious, and hes got too many customers as it is.

I agree...if I was interested and serious...I would not have a problem paying the $10 to get things started...

• Members

Hell, I might do it. I was thinking of getting a carvin.. but at about 1200....

I haven't played a top o the line Agile, how do they compare? Anyone have a carvin and an agile that can comment?

• Members

Hell, I might do it. I was thinking of getting a carvin.. but at about 1200....

I haven't played a top o the line Agile, how do they compare? Anyone have a carvin and an agile that can comment?

somewhere on the sevenstring.org forum theres a pic of a custom agile septor with a mahogany body, dyed dark burst, and oil finish. it reminded me alot of a carvin when i saw it.

as for quality comparisons, not sure. carvin certainly has more fancy wood options, but you also have to pay a fair bit to get them.

Archived