The 60's bassline

Jimbroni

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since somebody mentioned reggae. Here's a couple from one of my favorite reggae bass player's "the family man" Aston Barret. Since the theme is the 60's I chose a couple from the pre catch a fire era.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

One thing I've noticed about recordings from the late '60s to early '70s is not only the basslines themselves, but also the sound of the bass in records from that period. Very punchy and in your face, and you could clearly hear the attack of the strings. Something about the way bass was recorded back then that for some reason fell out of favor. I've never heard it duplicated since.

• Moderators

One thing I've noticed about recordings from the late '60s to early '70s is not only the basslines themselves, but also the sound of the bass in records from that period. Very punchy and in your face, and you could clearly hear the attack of the strings. Something about the way bass was recorded back then that for some reason fell out of favor. I've never heard it duplicated since.

Flatwounds. The attack is big. Not clicky but sustantial. This meant you better have your time together cause where you place your notes in time will be heard.

Then the sustain portion is all fundemental and not much in overtones. This made for a big fat, solid note. If the player chose to play a 5th on the chord it flew. Try that with a boom and it's just mud. But with a solid fundemental it sounded (sounds) great. I'm using flats exclusively now and offer it up to visting players when the time and tune are right. Most guys are very surprised at how fun flats can be.

• Members

That's definitely true. Perhaps the music itself lends to that. A lot more sonic space allowing for more bass fundamental. But also, I'm pretty sure Carol Kaye was one of those people who never changed her bass strings. Giving a more pure fundamental and less upper harmonic ring to the tone.

• Members

Flatwounds. The attack is big. Not clicky but sustantial. This meant you better have your time together cause where you place your notes in time will be heard.

Then the sustain portion is all fundemental and not much in overtones. This made for a big fat, solid note. If the player chose to play a 5th on the chord it flew. Try that with a boom and it's just mud. But with a solid fundemental it sounded (sounds) great. I'm using flats exclusively now and offer it up to visting players when the time and tune are right. Most guys are very surprised at how fun flats can be.

Yes, thats why I use pyramid flats.

Theay have a unique core composition and feel.

Supposedly these are the strings of Jack Cassidy and P. Lesh.

Fingers versu pick is the other enabler.

No one mentioned Jameson?

He is clearly the king of 60's bass lines (via motown) IMHO.

• Members
No one mentioned Jameson?

He is clearly the king of 60's bass lines (via motown) IMHO.

Yeah, we mentioned him above, and I linked to "Reach Out I'll Be There", which is only the greatest bass performance in the history of mankind. :thu:

For some reason, when I try to embed a youtube video, I get a white box. I used to know how to do it... :confused:

• Members
Yeah, we mentioned him above, and I linked to "Reach Out I'll Be There", which is
only
the greatest bass performance in the history of mankind.
:thu:

Actually, I've read somewhere that particular bassline was actually Carol Kaye.

It was supposedly standard practice for Motown to secretly cut its tracks with L.A. studio musicians, then bring the tapes back to Detroit, where they'd overdub the vocals.

• Members

I ordered one (actually two copies of one) of Carol's CD's off her web site a while back. I sent her an email and requested that she sign one that I was going to give to my nephew for Christmas last year. A few days later I received the CD's, both signed, along with a bunch of her promo material and history. It was good reading. I wish I had kept the reading material rather than giving it to my nephew. He enjoyed it though, although I don't know if he still has it.

• Members

Actually, I've read somewhere that particular bassline was actually Carol Kaye.

As much as I love Carol Kaye, I have a lot of trouble believing that James Jamerson didn't play that particular song.

...but even if Tiny Tim played it, it's still the greatest bass part ever!

• Members

Just about ANY Motown tune fits....
Aint' That Peculiar
Wow... look what I found - A totally different mix. I was listening to this and noticed some horns standing out that I hadn't noticed in the MANY times I have heard this song, then... all the instruments disappeared.
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

"Friend And A Lover-- "Reach Out In The Darkness""

I emailed Jim Post (the "Friend" of "Friend and Lover")
a few years back, asking him who the bass player
was on that hit, he responded that he couldn't specifically
remember, but "It could have been Emery Gordon." Gordon
was a great local (Chicago) player.

• Members

"Friend And A Lover-- "Reach Out In The Darkness""

I emailed Jim Post (the "Friend" of "Friend and Lover")

a few years back, asking him who the bass player

was on that hit, he responded that he couldn't specifically

remember, but "It could have been Emery Gordon." Gordon

was a great local (Chicago) player.

Kewl! :thu:

• Members

http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html

It's a shame that Carol Kaye has always felt the need to pad her otherwise stellar resume by claiming she played on many Motown hits that were obviously Jamerson's.

In some cases - particularly Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her" her claims were completely rebuffed by sworn affidavits by the musicians, producers, and engineers of those sessions.

So I posted a link to this site, where somebody has gone to great lengths to uncover the truth...while still trying to be fair to Kaye...it's not a hatchet job, by any means. It's more of a project to give Jamerson some backup, since he cannot speak for himself - but just listening to the songs can do that.

Jamerson played mostly with his fingers, his attack was very round and powerful, where Kaye played mostly with a pick, with an obvious "tick" to her attack. Her tone was also less pronounced than Jamerson's in the mid-range.

• Members

It's a shame that Carol Kaye has always felt the need to pad her otherwise stellar resume by claiming she played on many Motown hits that were obviously Jamerson's....

Jamerson played mostly with his fingers, his attack was very round and powerful, where Kaye played mostly with a pick, with an obvious "tick" to her attack. Her tone was also less pronounced than Jamerson's in the mid-range.

Thanks for posting this -- I totally agree; the proof is in what your ears tell you, and the two bassists' sounds (and feels) are unmistakable. I think Jamerson also has a "loping" feel, a subtle swing maybe, that sets him apart.

I read somewhere that J.J. almost always played with just his index finger -- if so, that was one dextrous digit!

• Members

It's a shame that Carol Kaye has always felt the need to pad her otherwise stellar resume by claiming she played on many Motown hits that were obviously Jamerson's.

In some cases - particularly Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her" her claims were completely rebuffed by sworn affidavits by the musicians, producers, and engineers of those sessions.

So I posted a link to this site, where somebody has gone to great lengths to uncover the truth...while still trying to be fair to Kaye...it's not a hatchet job, by any means. It's more of a project to give Jamerson some backup, since he cannot speak for himself - but just listening to the songs can do that.

Excellent stuff, cheers for the link.

Thing is, she obviously HAS doubtlessly played on hundreds of classic 45s and albums, and yet still feels the need to claim more! Strange.

• Members
Great thread.

Lee - you have impeccable taste. Next time I change strings on my bass I'm going to try some flatwounds.

I love my Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. :love: Put a set of them on a P-bass for some serious old school tone. They aren't cheap, but they last forever. I have them on a few basses, and I haven't needed to change strings for years. Still the same great sound as when they were new. Nickle round wounds start to lose their sound for me in a few weeks, stainless round wounds in a few days.

Archived