The 60's bassline

Jimbroni

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always loved that song too - but I probably haven't heard it for over 25 years. Yet when we were playing it back,, my wife and I were singing along like it was still fresh on the charts.
:D

What year was that released, and do you know any more about who played on it, where it was waxed, etc?

That's a great bass line... :phil:

Gene recorded the Ramsey Lewis song in early 1970. It was released on Mercury and sold over 1,000,000 copies. Gene was into doing the behind-the-scenes work, at that point, and probably produced the song, himself. It was likely recorded in Chicago, since Mercury was based there, and Richard Evans played on it.

Bass player Richard Evans played on quite a few Chicago Soul sessions, and was the mastermind behind The Soulful Strings...and just about anything recorded on Cadet Records, in the 60s - Jimmy McGriff, Ahmad Jamal, Ramsey Lewis, Leroy Hutson, Dorothy Ashby, was either/or produced and/or arranged by evans, or featured his bass on it.

• Members

Anytime guys. It turned up in a Google (although I don't even recall what combination of words I used to pull it up).

I used to see a couple of bands in Minneapolis in the late '60's/early '70's who had a bass player who went on to bigger and better things eventually. The first time I saw him he was with a band called "Michael's Mystics". They had a regonal hit called "Pain", a cover of a Grass Roots song, but done as more of a soul/R&B song. This fellow then went on to play with "Gypsy", a band that I have mentioned here before, and my favorite Minneapolis band at the time. Gypsy had two albums with MetroMedia and two with RCA. He played on the second album on MetroMedia and toured with them for a while. When he split from Gypsy he ended up touring and studioing with everyone. THe next time I saw him he was touring with the Doobie Brothers. This fellow's name was Willie Weeks. Here's a partial discography: http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?artistid=0&HT_Search=artist&HT_Search_Info=Willie+Weeks&seeall=1

Archived