I've never heard a Humbucker with distinctive tone

LR Weizel

• Members

Well I'd seriously have to say that you probably haven't tried a wide range of humbuckers. They obviously aren't going to sound the same as a single coil, but there is an extremely varying range of tones and each one is pretty distinctive to me.

It may not be your preferred tone, but they're still unique.

• Members

Well I'd seriously have to say that you probably haven't tried a wide range of humbuckers. They obviously aren't going to sound the same as a single coil, but there is an extremely varying range of tones and each one is pretty distinctive to me.

+1.

I've played many HBs and there's a ton of variation.

• Members

+2 If you want a very strong example of humbuckers that sound different, take a look at the filtertron style pickups (Gretsch, TV Jones, and the GFS Retrotrons). Oh yeah, and Fender wide range humbuckers too. None of these sound like your typical PAF or Dimarzio Superdistortion.

• Members

+2 If you want a very strong example of humbuckers that sound different, take a look at the filtertron style pickups (Gretsch, TV Jones, and the GFS Retrotrons). Oh yeah, and Fender wide range humbuckers too. None of these sound like your typical PAF or Dimarzio Superdistortion.

The old Guild buckers have a distinct tone as well.

Gretsch's stand out as a perfect example of how different HBs can sound from one another.

• Members

based on the ones in my collection, I completely disagree...

Epiphone Les Paul Studio - EMG 85

Schecter C1 Exotic - Schecter SuperRock II

Fender Double Fat Strat - Fender DH

Kramer Focus 6000 - Unknown Ceramic HB

not one of them sounds anything like the others...

Maybe through a Line6 Spider II on the Red channel with the gain dimed they would but they all have very distinct character to my ears through my amps (but i mostly play clean or with just on the verge of breakup).

• Members

Can someone provide me an honest A/B comparison between different kinds of HBs? Playing the same thing on different guitars etc. clean and with low to medium gain.

What you would really need is to hear the same guitar with varying pickups. Some pickup manufacturers provide this on their websites but it's less common than you would expect. There are also some YouTube demos, but the quality of them are pretty much hit-and-miss and generally not particularly controlled or scientific...

• Members

clean and with low to medium gain.

That's where you'd find the most difference.

So, everyone is likely wondering how many humbuckers you've heard and which models...?

I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on different humbuckers if they were all the same.

• Members

Can someone provide me an honest A/B comparison between different kinds of HBs? Playing the same thing on different guitars etc. clean and with low to medium gain.

It's best to try em out yourself to hear and feel the difference in response and tone. Just troll around youtube for a while and you'll find some stuff.

Watch some of this guys vids. He has a ton of different ones and mostly they are all through the same amp.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GregsGuitars

• Members

Yes, they all sounds the same out of a Frontman or MG.

Hey, the Frontman actually isn't a bad amp at all. MGs aren't awful either, but Frontmans are pretty good amps for headphone jamming. Another guitarist I know has one.

Archived