pick a pedal

hare.29

• Members

Get the bad monkey and use it as a boost. People give it good reviews for that. It gets good reviews and is claimed to be an underrated pedal.

The grunge and death metal pedals with sound cheap and lousy no matter how you set them. The first distortion pedal I ever owned (15 or so years ago) was a DOD Grunge. I thought it was awesome, since everyone thinks their first distortion pedal is awesome, but it sounds cheap, fizzy, and artificial.

• Members

The Bad Monkey and the Screamin Blues are pretty similar. I had both for a while, traded the Bad Monkey. Basically, if you want the least gain possible in this price range, go for the Bad Monkey. If you want the same basic tone but the ability for more gain, go for the Screamin Blues.

Don't know the others... they are above my gain level.

• Members

Bad Monkey! I think it can do more than "clean boost" ... I get quite a bit of gain out of mine, running into the clean channel of a SS amp. And, I think it sounds good. Haven't played with a Screamin' Blues much, though, so maybe it does more ...
Chris

• Members

Bad Monkey. I have two of em on my board, one OD, the second for a slight volume/gain boost, sound great 'cascaded' into each other... I've probably bought 100 OD pedals over the last several years, and the Bad Monkey keeps coming back.

Archived